Hey Devs & Cauldron, Is Ash Calling The Shots Now?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

As the title. Pretty simple, is Ash now the final arbitrator on all new changes and dominant game playstyle going forward? The predominant posts are coming from him and the tone certainly suggests it.

Setting aside whether I agree with the wisdom of such a possible appointment or not I'd just like to know so I can adjust accordingly.

Thanks.

P.S. Tip O'the hat to PGI for figuring out that by putting the inmates in charge of the asylum that they could avoid any criticism or complaints from the community for 5-6 months. I'm not a huge fan of Machiavellian behavior.. but when you skipped the community feedback you announced along with the March patch rollback and instead handed it all over to the Cauldron? Old Nicco would have been impressed!

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:55 PM

Lol. I'm 99% sure that's not the case but since I'm not involved in those conversations I'll let someone else answer.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:58 PM

I simply reply with information because I have the time to do so and people benefit from information.
The other Cauldron members don't have much interest in replying to Forum threads - when you see the types of posts like this that crop up, it's not hard to understand why.

If you look at the Patch Notes thread Krasnopesky was replying religiously for weeks(months?) addressing as many points as possible.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 27 April 2021 - 02:58 PM.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:00 PM

Chill, wait 2-3 months and let the player pop speak for itself. If much higher, then they did a good job. If about the same, then PGI level job. If lower, as you think, then worse job. I don't think it'll be lower.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:02 PM

The NGNG videos and Dev-vlogs are a good starting point for the casual observer to understand "the cauldron" (formerly the gulag) and how they are being utilized by the devs to make the changes they are making. Here are some links:

https://www.reddit.c...hat_to_the_new/

https://mwomercs.com...pril-dev-vlog-1

https://www.reddit.c...changes_no_pts/

https://www.reddit.c...es_mechwarrior/

https://www.reddit.c...on_mechwarrior/

#6 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:04 PM

He's doing maths and pushing progress. That's a lot more than has happened in years, so I'm not going to complain.

#7 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:09 PM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 27 April 2021 - 02:46 PM, said:

As the title. Pretty simple, is Ash now the final arbitrator on all new changes and dominant game playstyle going forward? The predominant posts are coming from him and the tone certainly suggests it.

Setting aside whether I agree with the wisdom of such a possible appointment or not I'd just like to know so I can adjust accordingly.

Thanks.

P.S. Tip O'the hat to PGI for figuring out that by putting the inmates in charge of the asylum that they could avoid any criticism or complaints from the community for 5-6 months. I'm not a huge fan of Machiavellian behavior.. but when you skipped the community feedback you announced along with the March patch rollback and instead handed it all over to the Cauldron? Old Nicco would have been impressed!

there is no final arbitrator, aside from PGI itself.

the decisions inside the cauldron are always taken as a group and voted every time, usually if we are not at least 70%ish positive to introduce a change into the game, we don't change anything, means that the stuff we put in is usually approved by the vast majority of us.
And then, we still need the permission from PGI to do every single fart or sneeze, as it should be

we are all trying to help when we can, there are multiple cauldron people answering to posts and explaining things around

Edited by D A T A, 27 April 2021 - 03:15 PM.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

It would probably be more accurate to describe Ash as Cauldron's "liaison" to this forum rather than being the invisible hand himself.

#9 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

Lol, more like Ash is one of the only ones willing to deal with being a target for constant whining, accusations, &c. by trying to reply to questions and be helpful.

#10 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

View PostNightbird, on 27 April 2021 - 03:00 PM, said:

Chill, wait 2-3 months and let the player pop speak for itself. If much higher, then they did a good job. If about the same, then PGI level job. If lower, as you think, then worse job. I don't think it'll be lower.

As of right now, the trend on player pop is up, which is great! But at the same time, that could be from all the hype surrounding this patch- (I just started realizing today that even I might be guilty of being a little bias).

But your post is completely spot on! While the forum hype might be bringing in a placebo effect, eventually actual numbers will show the true results of the patch.

I am definitely awaiting to see your in-depth analysis and graphs in the coming months- as they are always very interesting to view.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 27 April 2021 - 03:04 PM, said:

He's doing maths and pushing progress. That's a lot more than has happened in years, so I'm not going to complain.

This for the CAULDRON group as a whole. And we are seeing changes, good or bad, whereas with just the small team of PGI there may have been Chris crunching numbers but only a few PGI employers are/were able to really PLAY the game well, and any actual updates were far and in-between, never mind issues with how PGI were interpreting their own data, imho. And being an employee also meant one had to be careful on the type and how any feedback was provided, and would said employee have had the time to crunch and look at the overall effect while also reviewing feedback, both good and bad.

PGI could have said no, but their new overlords are likely looking at how well things continue, and if PGI is able to get the "community" to crunch numbers, discuss and provide feedback in a constructive manner, PGI appears to be ready to bend to the wind some instead of being an immoveable object.

As for Ash and the others, I am glad they are willing to answer questions that are being asked. They could have been like PGI.. receive few responds but generally required to be submitted via Tweeter. But then the forums could and have been brutal at times.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 27 April 2021 - 05:36 PM.

#12 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

I don't think this is the case. He's just the most visible person doing the posts. I'm sure a lot of people look to him for guidance. Right, wrong or indifferent.

#13 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 27 April 2021 - 02:46 PM, said:

As the title. Pretty simple, is Ash now the final arbitrator arbiter on all new changes and dominant game playstyle going forward? The

Fixed it for ya Johnny. Posted Image

Edited by CFC Conky, 27 April 2021 - 05:39 PM.

#14 Baron Kit

• PipPip
  • The Unstoppable
  • The Unstoppable
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

Ash is good. Yeah in game he's a bit rude sometimes but the cauldron changes are good. Even if he was the final say which I don't even remotely think he is. It would be good. The cauldron is very active on discord and I haven't even seen Ash there.

#15 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

Three threads in one night? Can't you contain your barely disguised disdain for the Cauldron's efforts to just the one?

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:03 PM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 27 April 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

Lol, more like Ash is one of the only ones willing to deal with being a target for constant whining, accusations, &c. by trying to reply to questions and be helpful.

I gotta admit I did just LOL with a customer in earshot. Maybe I'm just the one crazy enough while the others beaver away getting things done.

Although I think it's a little unfair Krasno is getting away with a free-pass to the keeper here. He is replying - he is a Cauldron member - heat up his backside too! Posted Image

View PostRickySpanish, on 27 April 2021 - 05:50 PM, said:

Three threads in one night? Can't you contain your barely disguised disdain for the Cauldron's efforts to just the one?

You should have seen the Private Message he sent me - which is has now deleted Posted Image

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 April 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

...which is has now deleted Posted Image

You should've taken a screencap and posted it to this thread. I am disappoint.

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:00 AM

Can't screw up CW anymore got to move to something else :)

#19 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:57 AM

I would like more IS people in the Cauldron myself.. I have no idea how many there are in it but it comes off heavily Clan bias.

#20 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:32 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 28 April 2021 - 12:57 AM, said:

I would like more IS people in the Cauldron myself.. I have no idea how many there are in it but it comes off heavily Clan bias.

Clan buffs:
Micro Pulse Laser
Heavy Small Laser
ER Small Laser
Small Pulse Laser
Heavy Medium Laser
ER Medium Laser
Medium Pulse Laser
Heavy Large Laser
ER Large Laser
Large Pulse Laser
Gauss Rifle

IS buffs:
Small Laser
ER Small Laser
Small Pulse Laser
Medium Laser
ER Medium Laser
Large Laser
ER Large Laser
Large Pulse Laser
Light PPC
PPC
Snub Nose PPC
Heavy PPC
ER PPC
Rotary AC2
Rotary AC5
Light Gauss Rifle
Heavy Gauss Rifle
Machine Gun
Gauss Rifle
MRM10
MRM20
MRM30
MRM40
CASE

Not counting reworks/nerfs like Streaks and ATMs and same buffs for both IS and Clan like AC2/5/10/20, HMG, LMG etc.

Clan: 11 buffs
IS: 24 buffs

Tell me more about clan bias.

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 28 April 2021 - 01:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users