I Love The Champion 1N2

7 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Fission

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:40 AM

In case you're hunting for good mechs, pick up the Champion 1N2. I got one last month at the recommendation of a friend, and I hated it at first. But since then, it's grown into becoming my favorite mech to pilot.

This mech can literally do everything, pretty well. Heavy Gauss? Check. MPL Boat? Check. LRM skirmisher? AC20/SNPPCs? MRMs? Survivable standard engine slugger? Glass cannon XL cavalry? Check check check check check. This mech can become anything you want it to (within reason).

Here are some of the strengths of the chassis:
> Needs zero firepower skills to be effective, allowing survival & speed tweak on every build
> Massive, ridiculous torso twist agility for maximum spreading of damage
> Massive, ridiculous acceleration / deceleration for corner peeking & hill humping
> +12 CT armor, and +10 RT/LT armor for extra survivability
> FIFTEEN PERCENT bonus cooldown for your single ballistic hardpoint
> -5% missile spread makes your two missile hardpoints hit more effectively
> 104.5 KPH run speed max. In a heavy. lol what?
> Arms can be stripped of armor for a free 2.5 tons
> Stripped arms draw fire when corner peeking, wasting enemy heat & ammo
> Two CT energy mounts so you can zombie if you want
> Legs can be safely stripped to 40 armor (with survivability tree) for an additional 1 ton of weight
> Right side becomes a dead side shield when laser & missile boating
> Perpetually empty arms provide tons of slots to hold Endo / Ferro
> Low squat profile hides relatively well on Polar (especially with Radar Derp)

Some of the builds I've found to work on this chassis include (speeds are with full speed tweak, ammo amounts tend to be light):

> 5 MPL, 2 Artemis SRM-6, STD Engine 300 (87.1 KPH) [Right torso is a shield]
CODE: AW;:3061|c?|c?|jb|i^|i^p`0q`0|c?|c?|c?|@@|@@|i^r00s00tW0|_OuW0|_OvB0|nOw:08080
This is currently my favorite build. It hits super hard and then runs away. You shield with your right side, and even if you lose BOTH side torsos, you're still in the fight with 2 MPL in your CT. Brutal, scary build that easily puts out 350-400 damage even on bad rounds.

> Artemis LRM-20, Tag, 4 MPL, XL Engine 360 (104.5 KPH)
CODE: AW;:3061|c?|c?|Zd|i^|i^p`0q`0|D@|=@|c?|c?r00s00tS0|^O|mOuR0|^O|mOv:0|mOw:08080
I hate using LRMs. They give me cancer. But this isn't a coward's lurm boat. Your goal is to keep enemies at 200 meters by dancing in & out, locking with Tag, harassing with Lurms, and blapping side torsos with your MPLs. The pulses also give good defense against harassing lights and fast mediums, which are the only things that will be catching you since you run at 104.5 KPH. This mech is effective at breaking up enemy firing lines. Dart out of cover, get a lock with Tag, dart back to cover, and spray missiles until you lose lock. Lather rinse repeat. They will either run, die, or charge you, at which point you fall back and eat them alive. This is a fun and very active build, but definitely not meta.

> AC20, 3 Light PPC, Artemis SRM-6, Light Engine 270 (78.4 KPH)
CODE: AW;:3061|Pgp`0|X?q`0|G@|G@|G@|@@r00s00tS0|@O|_OuR0|@O|_Ov:0|@Ow:08080
Gonna be honest, I haven't used this yet, but I will be. This is 48 fairly tight short-range damage every 4 seconds, with the option of LPPC harass out to 1000+ meters. If you're a good shot, you can chain fire the 3 LPPCs at different targets to suppress them, or annoy them till they charge you, at which point you eat their lunch. Can left-side corner peek with the AC-20 for snap shots, or right-side corner peek with the PPC/SRM for a juicy 27 instant damage.

> LB-10x, MRM 50, Light Engine 280 (81.3 KPH)
CODE: AW;:3061|Rgp`0|o?q`0|[@|X@r00s00tW0|GP|GPuW0|JO|JOvB0|fOw:08080
I'm not a big MRM guy, but this build mounts the two tonnage-efficient MRM weapons (the 10 and the 40) to open up armor. Once a side is opened up, the LB-10x takes it off with increased efficiency. This setup is effective at handling enemies with Gauss, as the LB has a better chance of critting it once the MRMs open the component. The large spread of the weapons will help you take out any lights that get too close, which is a likely problem given that you're only moving 81 KPH. Still though, it's a capable firing line build if that's your thing.

> 3 LPL, 2 ERML, STD Engine 285 (82.7 KPH) [Right torso is a shield]
CODE: AW;:3061|F@|F@|gb|i^p`0q`0|b?|b?|b?|i^|i^r00s00tW0uW0vB0w:08080
Lasers are my jam, and this one runs them fairly well. Your sweet spot will be at about 400 KM, and your speed is okay-ish, so you should be able to dodge return fire reasonably well. Not much to say about this build. It's laser vomit. Poke until they explode. If you get charged, run back to the team. If you get hot, hide till you're cool. Heat management is merely acceptable at 1.25, but you have a shield torso on your right side and a standard engine, so you're very tanky and can zombie with the 2 ERML if you lose both torsos. If you don't like the zombie concept, drop an XL 345 in it for 100 KPH run speed and one more heat sink. Boom, suddenly you're lightning cavalry. You can aggressively pick at the enemy flanks, or reinforce your own threatened assaults depending on the situation. Don't like XL? Drop a Light 310 for a reasonable balance, with a shield torso (right side), 90 KPH run speed, and 1.25 heat management. Very flexible. Does whatever you ask of it.

Anyways, I can't think of a more flexible or fun mech for 5.5 million C-Bills. Yes other mechs do dakka better. Others do laser vomit better. Some boat missiles better. Some are faster, some are tougher, some have better hit boxes.

But nothing does everything better than a Champion 1N2.

Edited by Doctor Fission, 11 May 2021 - 08:50 AM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

View PostDoctor Fission, on 11 May 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

But nothing does everything better than a Champion 1N2.

Put another way, everything does something better than a Champion, which does nothing best.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:47 AM

View PostDoctor Fission, on 11 May 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

In case you're hunting for good mechs, pick up the Champion 1N2. I got one last month at the recommendation of a friend, and I hated it at first. But since then, it's grown into becoming my favorite mech to pilot.This mech can become anything you want it to (within reason).

Good if it works for you.

#4 Doctor Fission

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:00 AM

View PostNightbird, on 11 May 2021 - 08:42 AM, said:

Put another way, everything does something better than a Champion, which does nothing best.

Oh yeah, 100%. But that applies to most mechs. Most mechs don't do anything best. Out of all those mechs, the 1N2 is the top pick, I feel.

This can't dakka like a mad cat II, can't out-skirmish a black lanner, can't out-LRM a mad dog.

But I think it's a perfect first mech to buy for a new player. They can learn virtually every concept in the game with it, excluding stealth/ecm/jumpjetting.

Edited by Doctor Fission, 11 May 2021 - 09:13 AM.

#5 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:28 AM

Mine rocks a Heavy Gauss and 5 MPLs with an STD 225 engine.

#6 Doctor Fission

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:29 AM

I tried an HGR on mine, but I'm a terrible shot and couldn't ever make it work.

How does your build perform for you, Kapusta?

#7 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:52 AM

View PostDoctor Fission, on 11 May 2021 - 09:29 AM, said:

I tried an HGR on mine, but I'm a terrible shot and couldn't ever make it work.

How does your build perform for you, Kapusta?

It's a bit slow, but fast enough to keep up with the team. I think it's better than dual HGauss because you sort of lead with MPLs as you charge helping you land that HGauss shot where you want it.

#8 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:23 AM

Thread moved to Heavy Mech Builds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users