348 replies to this topic

#341 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:21 PM

If I may suggest, don't let the mechs get behind you. Also try approaching snipers from cover. The javelin has some decent geometry, it's just a bit big for a light. Just play it like a light, with sneaky manoeuvering, and it'll do fine.

~Leone.

#342 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:44 AM

nopempele, why are you complaining about things that were not changed by the cauldron-driven patches? 4 C-ER PPCs were as strong before as they are now. The HMLs were also used before in the 4+4 setup to great effect, the miniscule changes didn't affect this much.

#343 nopempele

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:41 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 17 June 2021 - 01:44 AM, said:

nopempele, why are you complaining about things that were not changed by the cauldron-driven patches? 4 C-ER PPCs were as strong before as they are now. The HMLs were also used before in the 4+4 setup to great effect, the miniscule changes didn't affect this much.

Aidan, I believe you are mistaken. I was not referring to C-ERPPCs (which were a scourge before the patches, especially when combined with an imbalanced Vapor Eagle "poptart" mech), but to the IS ones. I will be quoting the patch notes further on.

ER PPC (IS):
  • Heat decreased to 12 (from 13.5)
  • Heat penalty multiplier decreased to x4 (from x7) – Less heat penalty

A great buff to heat penalty is what made the 4xERPPCs builds possible now. Previously, even 3x builds were too hot, as in quoting the devs "Giving them less penalizing heat penalties compared to their Clan counterparts will make shooting 3 IS-ERPPCs a more viable option on larger ‘Mechs with many heatsinks." And now you got this. Who has asked for this buff? Definitely not me, though I have been running some builds with ERPPCs previously.

Heavy Medium Laser (Clan):
  • Cooldown decreased to 5.0 (from 5.5)
  • Laser duration decreased to 1.3 (from 1.45)
Notes: HMLs are intended as a primarily alpha-focused, rather than DPS, weapon. These adjustments hope to rectify the excessive cooldown and duration that preclude its usefulness.

Note how devs themselves position HMLs as a "alpha-focused weapon". Well, they have achieved what they strived for - HMLs can now delete mechs from the game in 2 salvos. Is it fun? I don't think so.

Summarizing, devs and so called "competitive players" have purposefully aimed for high-alpha mechs and that is exactly what has been done. The survivability of the mechs and average match time have suffered because of this, as well as enjoyment from the game and the mech build variety. I am not surprised that the cohort of the top players selected as a "balancing committee" prefer this kind of gameplay which would help show off their skill the best. In every other online game the meta will gravitate towards the most powerful weapon which gives the ability to "insta-kill" the enemy, preferably from the range. Think sniper rifles, railguns, etc...

But I do believe that MWO should be kind of different to a standard reflex-based online shooter as it was before. Otherwise, with people running only "meta-builds" and insta-kills it would become just a worse version of CSGO or something like that.

#344 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:53 AM

You must be playing a completely different game to me if you're seeing 4 x IS ERPPC builds as "the norm".

I still barely see any. They are still quite hot and heavily DPS limited due to tonnage and inability to boat DHS like Clan mechs.

#345 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:06 PM

The only flavors of IS PPC I am seeing frequently are the Snub Nose and Light PPCs. Even the Heavy PPC seems to have fallen off a lot and the other two haven't been popular for years.

#346 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:58 PM

So I don't know about 4x ERPPCs, but I know I've seen 4x PPC on an Awesome 8Q at least once, since that is now a no-ghost-heat build. Even given that, it's still bound by the limitations of standard PPCs...

#347 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

Clan streaks were nerfed too far. The damage nerf is too severe .

Edited by Mechsniper, 19 June 2021 - 05:30 PM.

#348 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:04 PM

View PostMechsniper, on 19 June 2021 - 05:28 PM, said:

Clan streaks were nerfed too far. The damage nerf is too severe .

They are going to be buffed. Stay tuned!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users