Make Attacker, Defender Random

98 replies to this topic

#1 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:08 AM

Another ot those quick changes like conquest resource tickets, or tonnage limit for FW dropships on Clan Side.

As an example, right now IS is defending and Clan are attacking. That has not much meaning for game modes like Skirmish, conquest or domination.

But it has a HUGE meaning for game mode SIEGE. Which means that in our example, IS is ALWAYS, defending. Which means they have ALWAYS the support of turrets, The attackers need to push in through the doors, need to shoot the gens of the gates, get logged by the turrets (better for the lurmers), need to shoot the o-gens, need to shoot omega etc.

Many/Some groups don't want to have so much negative points on their side, so they queue for the defending side. Which means less players queue for Attacking Side.

WHY JUST SIMPLY MAKE IT RANDOM. NOBODY KNOWS IF THEY WILL BE ATTACKER OR DEFENDER. q.e.d. -> Problem solved.

But you should be able to see if you are Attacker or Defender in the 1:30 min time window, the same time window, where you can adjust your dropdeck according to the upcoming map.

I remember the past and in the past it was always random. I think PGI changed it so that it fits better to their little intro texts, which nobody is reading. "Clan Wolf is attacking the icy world of FRR....." -> Clans ALWAYS attacking.

EDIT: I inserted the part with the 1:30 min time window.

Edited by tee5, 25 May 2021 - 10:15 AM.

#2 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:20 AM

actually, last two days IS were attacking, at least in EU primetime

#3 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:30 AM

View PostvonJerg, on 25 May 2021 - 10:20 AM, said:

actually, last two days IS were attacking, at least in EU primetime

Doesnt rly matter some times clan has a row on defend and sometimes IS. BUT like tee pointed out it is such an easy to implement feature and would fix mm times ez.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

So, I have an issue with the idea that defending is easier.

It's not.

You have more locations to defend, (Which often pugs don't bother to,) And the enemy can always ignore the mechs to take the O-gen if they're losing the last wave. Not to mention the game-mode makes it easier for the attackers to attack in waves whereas defenders are often reinforcing, since, you know, the enemy is 'right there'.

Sure, to off set this defenders get some turrets. Which don't move. And die easy. And usually only get a shot off unless the enemy ignores them.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 May 2021 - 11:18 AM.

#5 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

Short. Choke points and better cover/highground.

Long doesn't matter. Result is defend is stacked harder. So ez fix to make it random. Maybe pgi could delete the fluff part as well (no one reads) and leads to ours of downtime because someone forgot to press the "enter generic fluff text" button.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:58 PM

Short. A scattered firing line falls is easy to defeat in detail with a concerted push.

Long: Oh, I agree. I was nitpicking. No issues with randomness, all for it. Notice I didn't argue with the crux of the opening statement, that's not me avoiding the issue and deflecting. I would, however, argue that I appreciate some fluff. Wohoo! We're fighting over Anywhere again! Some good memories there. Makes me wanna queue up IS and roleplay it up again.

I wont, cuz I'll queue where gets the fight'n. But still nostalgic.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 May 2021 - 01:58 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 04:04 PM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2021 - 11:18 AM, said:

It's not.

You have more locations to defend, (Which often pugs don't bother to,) And the enemy can always ignore the mechs to take the O-gen if they're losing the last wave. Not to mention the game-mode makes it easier for the attackers to attack in waves whereas defenders are often reinforcing, since, you know, the enemy is 'right there'.

Sure, to off set this defenders get some turrets. Which don't move. And die easy. And usually only get a shot off unless the enemy ignores them.

~Leone.

i agree. it doesn't matter what side you are on, if you are lethargic during the setup you are going to have a bad match. the team that drags its heels during attack is the same team that chooses the rear position on defense. neither one are effective strategies especially when faced with a skilled enemy.

though i still think it should be random, for variety's sake.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 May 2021 - 04:07 PM.

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2021 - 11:18 AM, said:

It's not.

Agreed.

If you don't defend at the correct spots, you're going to get annihilated.

The issue is skill and always will be. The large disparity that exists in this game and without a solution especially for FP - means any side 'advantage' is not nearly as important.

#9 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:54 AM

It is easier to identify and point your guns at a chokepoint than to grow a pair and push as a team.

#10 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:29 AM

Defending is easier, it depends on the map but the advantage is somewhere like 13vs12 to 15vs12 depending on the map.

#11 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:27 AM

View PostNightbird, on 26 May 2021 - 06:29 AM, said:

Defending is easier, it depends on the map but the advantage is somewhere like 13vs12 to 15vs12 depending on the map.

Defending is usually easier..
But to win defense you have to kill 48 mechs.
To win attack you only have to kill 3 gens and omega.

Not sure how to quantify that.

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:07 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 26 May 2021 - 07:27 AM, said:

Defending is usually easier..
But to win defense you have to kill 48 mechs.
To win attack you only have to kill 3 gens and omega.

Not sure how to quantify that.

You may be able to win a match by gen rushing but you still lose in the long term as your team feels like lemmings running through turret defense. The generators is mostly a way to force a fight, it's no different from domination, where if the other team doesn't stay in the circle then they forfeit.

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:40 PM

Okay, from an attacker's standpoint lemme explain how it'll often work out in a close fought match. So say wave one's not a stomp for either side. Close fought, mechs dying everywhere, turrets destroyed because defenders usually like to set up behind them for some weird reason, or retreat behind 'em if'n they set up a forwards line and it's a fair bit of chaos.

So, next wave'll see the same and maybe an attacker'll be cored or missing a torso and notice the defenders are leaving 'em alone, playing passive and waiting to trade and look, there's the gens. Shots are taken, sometimes one gen or two gets blown.

So, wave three,just in case, why not clear that last gen after pushing out all the frontline aggressive defenders? Worst comes to worse, if the attackers are losing wave four they can clear the Omega and win the match.

~Leone

#14 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 27 May 2021 - 02:08 AM

Random or not ...
with the new Generation of many stupid Casual Players (and not all the old MW and Gaming Guys) ...no Interest to FP
.Its like the COOP Mode survival in CoD Warzone. most Player going her own Thing , runs blind like chickens for kills and $ in the Waves,and wondering thats the team loosing in the First Wave or by the first Juggernaut...nothing Mind and experience for coop or Teamplay.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 27 May 2021 - 02:24 AM.

#15 Rizzi Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Wolf
  • Hero of Wolf
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 01:28 AM

would help to get the allways "defender" in a attacking role.....

#16 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:20 PM

Been saying this for a long time. IMO, if its random you wont have stacking sides as much. I really don't care if im attacking or defending. I just want to get matches.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:39 PM

just do it for variety.

#18 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:02 AM

How does one choose a queue to be in?

#19 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:59 AM

Bye choosing the corresponding faction currently in attack/ defend

#20 SunRunner

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 06:00 AM

I am in the Random Attacker/Defender group. I would also like to see the game modes randomized better. Right now I manage to get 4 or 5 drops in a night and 1 of them might be something besides sige. I would like to see the other game modes more in FP. But I would also like for my 4 siege drops not all automatically be Attacker or Defender for no other reason then what faction I am playing. Just do like the OP said and in the Drop deck selection screen let it say Siege Attacker Emerald Taiga, or Siege Defender Emerald Taiga, so we will know what side were playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users