Loadouts Restrictions

18 replies to this topic

#1 Moochachoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:27 AM

Why are loadouts so restrictive in this game? Not even the battletech strategy game is this restrictive.

I want to run 2 srm6 on my Orion, but I have to settle for srm4 because it only has one large missile slot.

I dont understand this.

Edited by Moochachoo, 31 May 2021 - 08:27 AM.

#2 Donbot

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

View PostMoochachoo, on 31 May 2021 - 08:27 AM, said:

Why are loadouts so restrictive in this game? Not even the battletech strategy game is this restrictive.

I want to run 2 srm6 on my Orion, but I have to settle for srm4 because it only has one large missile slot.

I dont understand this.

Absolutely agree with you bro ! I always want two gauss rifles in my flea !
I saw mod which change this. Just check nexus ! Hope you will find it.

Edited by Donbot, 31 May 2021 - 01:01 PM.

#3 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:04 PM

Yeah no idea. I think a lot of people are baffled by the terrible mechlab.

#4 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

Jump Jet hardpoints that only JJs can use, ok.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:44 PM

this is a result of a lot of loud people in the mwo community begging for sized hardpoints like what you had in mw4. and there's no doubt that pgi used mwo to test mechanics for mw5. honestly the mwo style mechlab (despite being in want for things like more equipment options and crit splitting), is probibly the best mechlab in any mechwarrior game. i didn't see any need to dumb it down. in fact a go nuts style mechlab would do much better in an sp game than an mp game. when you are fighting an unlimited number of stupid ai bots, an op mech is a fun mech.

i think there is a mod for this, but idk if its been updated yet. allows you to build mechs in a lot more detail.

Edited by LordNothing, 31 May 2021 - 08:48 PM.

#6 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

I'm on the opposite side of this. I think MW5 hard point and weapon size limits is much better than the system in MWO. MWO has so many crappy balance issues because you can just stick stuff any where you want. You can boat 27 lasers on a mech that was never supposed to be able to do it. I think it's stupid in MWO and much more fun in MW5 with the restrictions. The way the game is supposed to be.

THey should just can MWO and put pvp into MW5.

Edited by lsp, 04 June 2021 - 10:27 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 08:45 AM

View Postlsp, on 04 June 2021 - 10:26 PM, said:

I'm on the opposite side of this. I think MW5 hard point and weapon size limits is much better than the system in MWO. MWO has so many crappy balance issues because you can just stick stuff any where you want. You can boat 27 lasers on a mech that was never supposed to be able to do it. I think it's stupid in MWO and much more fun in MW5 with the restrictions. The way the game is supposed to be.

THey should just can MWO and put pvp into MW5.

its a good mechlab, but its out of place with reference to other battletech/mechwarrior games. another honorable mention is the system used in mech commander. i kind of liked that system even if it was an oddball. the mw4 lab did have some features lacking in pgi's implementation, like giving you a choice between one large weapon and an array of smaller weapons. i also liked the omni slots that let you load whatever you wanted. its only fault was that it was too weapon centric. equipment spec was by checkbox.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 June 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#8 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

Expanded_Hardpoints

Found this on Nexus by Weatherbee_A. It's a simple mod. One is in keeping with BattleTech load-outs, but increases the weapon size by one, so small becomes medium which is what the OP wanted. The other poses no restrictions other than type of weapon. They change nothing else so you get the vanilla experience with just a bit of leeway in weapon sizes.

I agree with the OP though. The Orion got screwed. It has the hardpoints of a medium or light mech but has the target size of a big 75 tonner. Except for the Orion-P but you may never see that one in a campaign.

Edited by Lightfoot, 05 June 2021 - 09:39 AM.

#9 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

I agree the mechlab is bad. Was someone at PGI completely high out of their minds when designing it?

"It's not important that players have the freedom to place weapons on a hardpoint, so long as as they have room. They'll surely thank us for the 40+ open slots that can only be used for heat sinks and ammo."

Dammit PGI, you already had a viable mechlab in MW:O. I get it, you wanted to prevent people from making cheese builds by locking the engine, so we couldn't downgrade it, and had to work with the tonnage available, but that's just it: You could have simply locked the engine like with Omnimechs, and you still had fixed hardpoint limits to boot. You don't need to reinvent the wheel every time you build a new car.

#10 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:51 PM

I seem to remember it coming down to a vote in the closed beta for MWO on whether to include a Mechlab. Well you know it was a resounding,Yes, we want Mechlab. IMHO, Mechlab is for mechs what Skills and Attributes are for other RPG's. It's a form of competition that you do before you battle.

#11 Shivalah

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 12:10 AM

It's so bloody silly.

A competetive Online PVP Game where balance was always has been an issue: LIMITLESS OPTIONS.

A single player power fantasy: Restrictive Mechlab.

Like... what?

PGI Introduced the quirks and then stripped them off later because of "we don't want to force a single playstyle" and then do that in a Singleplayer game where no one cares about the balance? *Genius*.

#12 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 06 June 2021 - 12:20 AM

I actually really think that there is SOME method to the madness.
My Atlas D with Tier 5 weapons can take on and shred like 30 assault mechs in a row before something breaking or falling off from the incoming damage. Then again my build includes maxed out pulse lasers, an ac20bf and 2 srm6+a.

An orion with a base level lbx 10, art srm4's and 2 pulse lasers can shred anything smaller than an 80 tonner in seconds.
Its got near atlas levels of armor to boot, so it can stay in the fight for a very long time with minimal heat build.

That said, i really want my blackjack ace with my 6 gauss rifles back. The update broke the mods.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:40 PM

part of the initial draw to mechwarrior for me was the ability to build your own war machine to your specifications. so long as you got your engine and 10 heat sinks, anything goes. i think i spent more time in the mechlab of the classic mechwarrior games than i spent in missions. this mechlab only lets you do marginal upgrades to the stock loadout and each mech only has a couple upgrade paths. its a huge opportunity cost to replay value, because you can only do the same old same old so long before you get bored. meanwhile in mwo there are troll builds and meta abominations that are fun or delete mechs and piss off real meat bags. but we got to worry about the feelings of useless ai bots.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 June 2021 - 07:43 PM.

#14 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:07 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 June 2021 - 09:12 AM, said:

I agree with the OP though. The Orion got screwed. It has the hardpoints of a medium or light mech but has the target size of a big 75 tonner. Except for the Orion-P but you may never see that one in a campaign.

The new Orion Hero is not bad in default config.

I'm still trying to decide if a Ember is worth buying with just 4 Small Energy slots and MGs.

#15 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:43 PM

I like it. It makes mechs very different and gives more reasons to have different chassis available. If you see an X variant in a store it gives you a reason to be excited. Got a heavy ballistic Tier 5 drop - you are looking for a mech with a heavy ballistic slot torso mount. That gives you a reason to be interested in playing and searching or seeking out a hero mech you know has that slot where you want it.

Tabletop Battletech has essentially minimal restrictions beyond tonnage and crit space. I don't think it particularly makes different mechs 'feel different' when you have the choice to customize them. Two 50 ton mechs might be equally customizable into whatever you want to put in them. That gives players more flexibility but makes each unique chassis less interesting in my opinion.

#16 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:02 PM

Not gonna lie, the new orion hero us my current favorite. 3 srm6's and 3 LL's or PPC's and you have a VERY mobile assault mech. Lol

#17 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:54 PM

You can customize Mechs; its just that MW4:Merc's was based upon everything be Omni-Hardpoints which allowed for whatever weapon you wanted to put there, which is roughly 30-50 years after the start of MW5.

MWO limits you by weight and slots but otherwise acts like MW4:Merc's because MWO is essentially the Arcade Version of Mechwarrior.

Your gonna have to wait for a decade or two after the clan invasions for Omni-Hardpoints to become meta or at the very least able to buy.

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:13 AM

View PostMoochachoo, on 31 May 2021 - 08:27 AM, said:

I dont understand this.

As far as I can tell - because PGI FINALLY did a lore-correct mechwarrior game. Sized slots are great, and force you to not be able to build ludicrous builds like putting 2xAC20 on a medium or 2 2xERLL on a locust..

#19 memorandum

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • Locationmidtjylland, denmark

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:06 AM

yet the cicada is still ****

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users