I Have No Idea What I Am Doing

34 replies to this topic

#21 Eguzky

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 01:48 PM

Can someone explain what happened?

I just had a match where the enemy team basically never lost lock.
I put 4 mountains between me and the enemy team and it just rained missiles for a solid 120 seconds, nonstop, until I died.
All I heard was 'Missiles Incoming! Missiles Incoming! Missiles Incoming! Missiles Incoming!Missiles Incoming!Missiles Incoming!Missiles Incoming!Missiles Incoming!'

I sprinted from the cap point in the canyon back to spawn, then back OUT to get under an archway, and it just rained missiles nonstop. No matter where I went, someone, or multiple someones, had lock on me and just rapid fired missiles from orbit. Nothing could stop the missiles from hitting me.

Given how heat generation, weapon cooldowns, and missile arcs work; this really felt like hackers. But maybe it was just a bad match?

#22 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

Sure. Okay, so if I take a fast little light with ecm you wont get the little red targetting reticule until you're like, 500m away. If I skill up the nodes, that'd drop it to some ~200m away. Next I take that little light and dash like mad around the edge of the map until I see the enemy team, (In this instance you're the unlucky person targeted.) Now, if I sit still all painted dark and standing near some cover to the side of you most folk wont notice whilst I hold locks for the missile mechs.

Movement tends to draw attention. That said, if a mech does turn towards me and pauses facing me it is time to bail, lest I get shot and die for standing still in a light.

Alternatively, I could pop a Uav, but if you were moving alot you should've noticed it in the air, so my bet is on the hidden light mech.

As an aside, when getting missiled from afar, rather'n running around, find cover from where the missiles are falling from. Yes they do come at a fairly harsh downward angle, but that archway should've protected you. If I've a dead arm I'll sometimes leave it just outta cover to take a few hits so the little reticule lights up red for them when I'm hit so the missile mechs don't know I'm behind cover and keep sending ineffective salvos my way. Granted then you're locked down, but hopefully your team is backtracking the missiles flight path and working on dealing with them whilst you draw fire.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 02 June 2021 - 02:08 PM.

#23 Eguzky

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:16 PM

View PostLeone, on 02 June 2021 - 02:05 PM, said:

Sure. Okay, so if I take a fast little light with ecm you wont get the little red targetting reticule until you're like, 500m away. If I skill up the nodes, that'd drop it to some ~200m away. Next I take that little light and dash like mad around the edge of the map until I see the enemy team, (In this instance you're the unlucky person targeted.) Now, if I sit still all painted dark and standing near some cover to the side of you most folk wont notice whilst I hold locks for the missile mechs.

Movement tends to draw attention. That said, if a mech does turn towards me and pauses facing me it is time to bail, lest I get shot and die for standing still in a light.

Alternatively, I could pop a Uav, but if you were moving alot you should've noticed it in the air, so my bet is on the hidden light mech.

As an aside, when getting missiled from afar, rather'n running around, find cover from where the missiles are falling from. Yes they do come at a fairly harsh downward angle, but that archway should've protected you. If I've a dead arm I'll sometimes leave it just outta cover to take a few hits so the little reticule lights up red for them when I'm hit so the missile mechs don't know I'm behind cover and keep sending ineffective salvos my way. Granted then you're locked down, but hopefully your team is backtracking the missiles flight path and working on dealing with them whilst you draw fire.

~Leone.

That makes allot of sense. Thank you :)

#24 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:58 AM

You might also want to pay attention if you were NARC'd. When a NARC beacon is attached to your mech, it will broadcast your position until it expires, and the only way to avoid that is to be near a friendly ECM mech.

#25 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:40 PM

[Edit]
Just curious, so did you JUST finish your first 25 games?
ie: finished your Cadet #25 Bonus in your [Achievements]?
[/Edit]

Congrads on graduating from being a (blue) Recruit to a regular Forum member (yellow name one)!
Signs of progress Posted Image

View PostEguzky, on 01 June 2021 - 04:53 AM, said:

I really have no idea what mech is right for me. Or what my play style is.

I played last night for the first time since 2016, and I got 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 kill, and 3 deaths.

I think the...What was it? The...Something-Wolf...Was the one I did the best in. Though, of all the trial mechs I tried, I kept trying to stay as far away from the action as possible. Posted Image

It's a fun game, but I get the feeling I'm going to forever be bad at it. Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 03 June 2021 - 06:52 PM.

#26 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:19 AM

Hi

I really have no idea what mech is right for me. Or what my play style is.

I played last night for the first time since 2016, and I got 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 kill, and 3 deaths.

I think the...What was it? The...Something-Wolf...Was the one I did the best in. Though, of all the trial mechs I tried, I kept trying to stay as far away from the action as possible. Posted Image

It's a fun game, but I get the feeling I'm going to forever be bad at it. Posted Image

Hey OP here's is the help I think you need, imo

Want to know about your enemy and where to shoot em
Check this out, maybe not be complete but the rest you will work out in time.

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2

Check out

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

for deetails on latest mech minus hit box info which the previous link provides

To prevent that check out my starter guide.
I am reputable or maybe I just got a reputation.
Hahaha, enjoy Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com...extraordinaire/

Edited by General Solo, 04 June 2021 - 01:59 AM.

#27 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 04 June 2021 - 12:19 AM, said:

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

for deetails on latest mech minus hit box info which the previous link provides

Pro-tip... Smurfy hasn't been updated this year, and we're in the middle of a lot of equipment and mech changes. A better source for info is MechDB, despite it not having the charts and tables. MechDB

#28 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:06 AM

View Postmartian, on 01 June 2021 - 10:17 PM, said:

Running a 'Mech with two similar missile systems such as LRMs and ATMs is probably not the best idea. Decide either for LRMs or ATMs and maybe throw in some backup lasers.

Do not forget to add Target Acquisition Gear and Clan Active Probe.

If You carry the TAG, do not forget to bind it also to same group as laser or balistic weapons, beside separate binding. Posted Image

Edited by ExoForce, 05 June 2021 - 05:01 AM.

#29 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:20 AM

View PostExoForce, on 04 June 2021 - 10:06 AM, said:

If You carry the TAG, do not forget to bind it also to same group as laser or balistic weapons. Posted Image

Please don't. You don't want to be spamming medium lasers beyond their maximum range when trying to lock a target. It wastes mucho heat.

Best practice is to bind it to a mouse button or wheel that you can just hold down constantly when you need to that doesn't get in the way of your other weapon groups. And don't leave it on all the time, as it doubles as a "Here I Am, Come Shoot Me" finder for the red team...

#30 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:04 AM

Exactly.
I find that if I have my Tag on all the time, I tend to attract MUCH more enemy fire towards myself...

ie: Use sparingly, as needed...

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 04 June 2021 - 10:20 AM, said:

...And don't leave it [Tag] on all the time, as it doubles as a "Here I Am, Come Shoot Me" finder for the red team...

#31 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:34 AM

I have played for years, took one break, then I may be finishing another now. One thing coming back or just learning, try to stay alive. Only good things happen as you live longer. The LRM or ATM is good for that, but some of us long ago learned how to use cover to block missile fire, or use concealment so you never get to lock on or see us.

Look at just supporting an assault mech. Sure a Jenner II C with 6 missile hard points can be fun, but also a good learning tool. try to do the amount of damage that you have missiles in the mech. The same goes for the Jenner Oxide with 4 missile hard points. in both you are slow little missile boats and have to learn to use bigger mechs to hide behind while LRMing the other mechs to death or just peppering them so much that they give ground.

Sure there are the AC gun platforms, laser boats and some can tank, some can do strike and fade. Just explore all options and what will work for you will find you. Then there will be certain mechs that just work for you, me it is the Griffins and due to the Vapor Eagles being clan Griffins they really work for me. Even using one as my mini atlas build.

#32 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:00 PM

View PostEguzky, on 02 June 2021 - 03:16 PM, said:

If you get narc'd there is a small icon on the right middle of your hud that appears until the narc expires. Depending on the enemy mech's skills, this could be up 90 seconds (possibly longer on a couple variants that also have narc quirks?)

#33 Elric-

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:57 AM

If I see you out there ill send a friend request and maybe drop together, I've been at this for awhile now and im still not good

#34 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:18 AM

It doesn't matter if you're good or not. It's a game. Have fun!

#35 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 04 June 2021 - 11:34 AM, said:

I have played for years, took one break, then I may be finishing another now. One thing coming back or just learning, try to stay alive. Only good things happen as you live longer.

QFT. Your mech is an asset, and if the enemy gets to kill you, make them pay for it in blood first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users