The Next Dlc - What Should Have Happened

18 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:56 AM

Among many things I think about having tried MW5 now are these two.

What Should Have Happened
Same thing HBS did with their game, a closed Alpha / Beta with Instant Action only allowing people to test stuff out and report bugs.
I got a list of 24 issues alone even with the current DLC added and that is probably not everything.
Might have avoided some of the issues seen now.

Next DLC
I would like to see a DLC that allows 4 v 4 PvP in Instant Action among other things.
This is rather necessary because it allows players to check for things currently hard or impossible under a PvE only system with no Testing Grounds or Academy.
Examples (not a complete list):
- LRMs are currently semi-Streak weapons proven but are they full Streak? (Streak LRMs for IS, facepalm)
- How does ECM differ in full from MWO Stealth ECM and how exactly does EWCM differ from ECM? Same of BAP and EWAP.
- What is really killing some Mechs arms, the model or the AI.
- What kind of Tanks / VTOL / Turrets exist including their 'hidden' weapons. Really, SRM10s? You know some Modder will look to unlock that for Mechs, just what we do not need, the AC20 of SRMs.

If the standard SRM Carrier was considered too strong, you either could have 'cheated' the timeline and used the Light SRM Carrier or even better, just use the existing Hetzer and Demolisher that do the same and exist in this timeline.

#2 Nemesis Bosseret

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:11 PM

I wish they would add in the ability to get a different dropship. The mech bay slots do not make sense for a leopard to carry more than 4. But in game we have 12. that should be a union or similar class of dropship. Would be cool walking around the spheres too.

Other ideas would be instead of landing the dropship let us do hot drops like the AI does or in MWO.
Clans are a big topic for a portion of the community. they don't make sense from the perspective of someone who fought thru the 3rd succession war but the timeline is close enough to tie in the clan invasion. Which was more than likely done on purpose. Could make the main character have a child that inherits the merc company like the main character does from his father so starting in 3050. Then continue it thru the clan invasion. Maybe make another player start from the clans perspective and have a character go through training and fighting in clan space to join the invasion gaining honor and rank in different clans up and thru the invasion.

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:26 PM

The thing with Clans is you could release a Clan Only Prelude that plays in the time b4 the Invasion and is about inner clan affairs in any not yet fully by a game explored timeframe...

#4 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:46 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 01 June 2021 - 05:56 AM, said:

Next DLC
I would like to see a DLC that allows 4 v 4 PvP in Instant Action among other things.
This is rather necessary because it allows players to check for things currently hard or impossible under a PvE only system with no Testing Grounds or Academy.
Examples (not a complete list):
- LRMs are currently semi-Streak weapons proven but are they full Streak? (Streak LRMs for IS, facepalm)
- How does ECM differ in full from MWO Stealth ECM and how exactly does EWCM differ from ECM? Same of BAP and EWAP.
- What kind of Tanks / VTOL / Turrets exist including their 'hidden' weapons. Really, SRM10s? You know some Modder will look to unlock that for Mechs, just what we do not need, the AC20 of SRMs.

If the standard SRM Carrier was considered too strong, you either could have 'cheated' the timeline and used the Light SRM Carrier or even better, just use the existing Hetzer and Demolisher that do the same and exist in this timeline.

I would like to see a DLC that allows 4 v 4 PvP in Instant Action among other things. This is rather necessary because it allows players to check for things currently hard or impossible under a PvE only system with no Testing Grounds or Academy.

What could you possibly need to check that would "Require" PVP

Streak Missile launchers will not fire unless they have a target lock, so you're just wrong there

Read the tooltip, it tells you the exact stats of each item. One main difference is BAP & ECM are Superior to EWCM and EWAP, they [BAP & ECM] weigh less and have better stats. EWCM and EWAP appear to be cheap [cost & quality] precursors to BAP & ECM.

I'd say its mostly the garbage A.I., I have noticed the higher their Evasion and Armor skill they seem to last longer however.

The 10 SRM carrier did exist, its based on an older carrier from the Age of War between 2398 - 2439.
Also its not that damn hard to kill unless you're blindly charging into combat. It takes maybe a 3-4 medium laser shots to kill one. And anything with longer range than a medium laser, is probably going to pop it in one hit.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/SRM_Carrier

#5 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:56 AM

Ok.
So..

Lets say we get a Clan Invasion Campaign.
Alright.

So with some mechanical revamping, we can have.

Campaign ( with Mason and co )
Clan Invasion Campaign ( brand new character ++ )
Career ( custom pilot if NOT importing Masons Campaign progress over )

So. Now we have it so that we can import Campaign Mason into Career and continue there.
And starting Career defaults you to Mason and Ryana + Mason connected characters like the Mercs dude and Goblin.

So I was thinking.
Implement our own anonymous Pilot for a pure Career playthroughs. Choose from a bunch of unique portraits and/ or import our own.
There should be preset voices to choose from, male and female. With male and female body type. If wanting to stretch it even further. Maybe have us customize our pilot suit and helmet. If not at least have the helmet be fully covered. While having them dynamicaly reflect that in the protrait.

The thing is, remove everything from the Campaign and future campaigns etc in Career. But sure, have events, certain missions be the same and so on. Make a random NPC replace Ryana and Fahad?

So BACK to the concept of the Clan Invasion Campaign.

So. We know that the main four Clans, pushed ahead their invasion corridors through the fresh new faction of FRR.
Weeeel, so why not have our main new character be chosen as male, female and experience the early days of the invasion?
If PGI wants to save money, whatever. The main character dosent have to be voiced, but it surely helps. BTW Mason needs voiced command lines like Spectre have in MW4.
Imagine this.
First few years before the Invasion starts, you would just do some ordinary training and pirate/ bandit fighting missions. Maybe even settle a few skirmishers against anti FRR Steiner and Kurita forces, that refuse their factions leaders decicion to let the FRR be.
THEN. Something happens, communication gets lost on one or more fringe perihepry coreward planets " north " of the FRR territory, maybe stretch it a bit over Steiner/ Kurita space.

So, the mission lines should be tense, have build up and massive awesome payoff of an experience.
If PGI can add whatever canon lore and have it be that situation we participate in.

As far as I remember and imagined. There was this loss of communication coreward in the Oberon Confederation ( which is alredy in-game, hint?? ) or was it some bandit based planets? Anyway. You head to say, the Oberons, help them scout and such.
Some mission could be VOID of enemies, maybe a few pirate mechs, vehicles, vtols etc but no Clan mechs.... yet.
That could appear near one of the missions.
You, your FRR comrades and allied Oberon forces encounter a Timber Wolf...
Script it so that whoever is your mission giver and onboard Betty. Tries to categorize it as either MAD for Marauder or CAT for Catapult. It decides for MAD - CAT.
Your mission on for that encounter could be to take defensive action and step by step take retreating action, planet by planet you escape and fall back from Oberon worlds into your home FRR territory, watching as time goes by, planet by planet gets lost.
And you slowly see the territories of the main invading Clans form.

To make it short. The Campaign can end at Tukyyad. The main FRR character could either die ( in final Tukyyad battle ) or have close friends die instead or survive on the few FRR worlds that remain after a few intense, last puchback battles before escaping.

Survive should be canon/ lore but at a great cost for the mian character.
Remember MW4? There were several missions chains with three different endings, depending if you choosed Steiner, Davion affiliation. The Steiner one ended with you joining Clan Wolf, the Davion was a final mission against Catherina Steiner? and the third was you taking a final stand in the Chaos Marches against Liao I think? for independence.
Could be something similar for what I was thinking. Point is more fleshed out branching missions paths after the Clan starts invading.

Now

If we Import our main Campaign with Commander Mason.
He and his company with Ryana and Fahad, gets transimissions from Kurita/ Steiner/ FRR. To head out and check/ help mysterious events in FRR/ Oberon territories.
New voice lines needed.

But there you go. All new kinds of Mechs, tech, equipment, location and colored territories added and so on.

This is IMHO one of the most fitting ways to kick off a Clan Invasion based DLC/ expansion.

Also.

Starting a Career and hitting the Clan Invasion years, starts the new content. Cant do a reverse by having the main surviving FRR ending character start Masons Campaign, makes no sense. Make the survive ending canon/ lore. But at the cost of some close friends of his/ her.

Edited by Tordin, 19 June 2021 - 08:57 AM.

#6 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:19 PM

While I'm not neccessary a huge Clan Invasion fan, I can get behind a Clan Invasion DLC.

As for PvP, a big no please, don't ever do that PGI.

MWO is where all the PvP should remain. MW5 should remain singleplayer co-op only.
In my eyes PvP in MW5 would be bad for MW5 (keep all the PvP balancing out if this great and fun game called MW5) and for MWO (there is no need for an competitor for MWO considering the lowe player count).

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

i really think hotis dlc took a back seat to the console port of the base game. which is why it was as sparse as it was, the next dlc needs more content than what we got this time around. alternatively it can be about the same if it brings in a major feature to the base game, like vr support or pvp.

#8 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:23 AM

Give us a DLC with a campaign with scripted and designed missions.
Not the generic **** from the existing „campaign“.

And make the mission table of any use.
Infos on landscape, expected enemys, alternate attack routes and more.

And give us stealth missions with active and passive radar.

Nothing we did not expect from the first release.

Edited by Mumuharra, 20 June 2021 - 09:24 AM.

#9 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 562 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:49 AM

If a Clan-DLC should happen, I would love some Clan history: Exodus of the SLDF, Founding of the Clans, Operation Klondike, the Trial of Annihilation of Clan Wolverine and Operation Switchback.
Needs to be heavily story driven, though, and I do not know if PGI has the resources at hand to deliver.

The Invasion would be nice but I think we have had enough of the Invasion era stuff.

#10 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:34 PM

If anyone's payed attention to the "News" feed in MW5, the closer you get to 3050 the more Foreshadowing you get for Clans.

I've actually hit 3054, the news stops generating at around 3040 +/-

Its kind of infuriating to get foreshadowing for something that should be happening, to spice the game up a bit. Idk, the game still feels hollow, and I'm just waiting on Merctech to update since he's working on a new build. I'd love some extra official content, cause idk about you but I'd rather feel hollow and cry in a Direwolf than my Banshee lol

Atleast a Clan invasion would add more content for modders to make the game actually good.

#11 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:33 AM

View PostMumuharra, on 20 June 2021 - 09:23 AM, said:

Give us a DLC with a campaign with scripted and designed missions.
Not the generic **** from the existing „campaign“.

Not everyone likes that.
The first MW was actually like this one with a small short scripted campaign and many random missions you could do however you like allying and fighting whichever factions you choose.

It is similar to rougelike games that have become quite popular over the past years where there is some randomization of what you do instead of the same story every time. Quite a number of gamers like the feeling they can choose different paths each run through, it encourages them to play again and again.

#12 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:58 PM

Co-Op DLC

Something I would also like, a DLC with significant improvements here.

1 - Allow changing of main character name, portrait and voice in Career mode.
2 - Better, have a separate menu item for creating Custom Characters with names, portrait and voice. Save the character to one of two different lists, one list is for characters to use in Career, the other for characters to use in Co-Op where other people are the main character.
3 - Have a way to transfer characters from one list to the other in #2.
If you transfer from Co-op to Career, you get bonus CB from the salary you gained in the other player's Campaign / Career as a bonus for starting your own Career.
If you transfer from Career to Co-Op, you can bring one Mech with you.

Any DLC that improves the Unit Insignia choices and screen.
HBS fit more in one screen with smaller graphics, no need for big large images, had more choices too.
That plus better weapon balance make me consider learning modding against getting an Epic account just for the tools.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

What Should Have Happened
Same thing HBS did with their game, a closed Alpha / Beta with Instant Action only allowing people to test stuff out and report bugs.
I got a list of 24 issues alone even with the current DLC added and that is probably not everything.
Might have avoided some of the issues seen now.

PGI =/= HBS, for PGI does it's own thing -- and arguably in a bad way. I don't think arguing "HBS" did so is a valid argument -- I'm not defending PGI, but the hell did you expect? That's like a robber to not rob you.

Would be nice, but while we're at it, why not entire MWO in Unreal? I honestly would like it, but as it stands, PGI is a bit allergic to actual work.

#14 Marchello1

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:48 AM

Dear developers, thank you for the exciting missions for heroes, it was very impressive and difficult at times, we enjoyed the game. When is the next expansion planned?

#15 Bl00dbeard

• PipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • The Scattershot
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:41 PM

PVP? What? Are you high? Its an SP/Coop game. MWO is for the PVP.

Anyone who wants more hand crafted missions clearly is new to PGI's map work. Since MWO's beta the maps have been utterly horrid. Why do you think they keep tweaking them, and adding them back in. The game has been out almost a decade, and they still haven't figured out how to make a decent map. Even if we ignore MWO's truly awful attempts at map-making, even MW5's hand crafted maps are complete garbage consisting of trash terrain and huge amounts of enemies to mask the fact that the maps are a flaming dumpster fire.

PGI's map maker is probably an intern or something.

Clan Invasion sounds cool and all, but they won't do it in our lifetimes. Look how late Heroes of the Inner Sphere was. They added a handful of mechs with ONE mission type. You want them to add clan mechs, clan equipment, and stuff like the Uziel and Bushwacker etc. We are talking 50+ mechs minimum with all the associated mechlab changes. Have you seen the size of PGI's team? Its not even remotely possible unless they start cutting stuff. So lets say they add in like 7 clan mechs and a bunch of clan equipment. Its you against clan mechs.....

.... PGI took years to balance out clan tech in MWO. Hell, in the lore the inner sphere really only survived through guerilla warfare and assassination. You guys want to go up against Timberwolves in the current game? With the AI that is borderline useless, with maps that are almost devoid of any sort of cover....

#16 R I N G I N G E A R S

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

View PostBl00dbeard, on 22 July 2021 - 12:41 PM, said:

You guys want to go up against Timberwolves in the current game?

No, but I wouldn't mind piloting one, and a shadowcat and a kodiak and blood asp and a... Well you get the idea. :)

#17 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:42 AM

View PostBl00dbeard, on 22 July 2021 - 12:41 PM, said:

Clan Invasion sounds cool and all, but they won't do it in our lifetimes. Look how late Heroes of the Inner Sphere was. They added a handful of mechs with ONE mission type. You want them to add clan mechs, clan equipment, and stuff like the Uziel and Bushwacker etc. We are talking 50+ mechs minimum with all the associated mechlab changes. Have you seen the size of PGI's team? Its not even remotely possible unless they start cutting stuff. So lets say they add in like 7 clan mechs and a bunch of clan equipment. Its you against clan mechs.....

.... PGI took years to balance out clan tech in MWO. Hell, in the lore the inner sphere really only survived through guerilla warfare and assassination. You guys want to go up against Timberwolves in the current game? With the AI that is borderline useless, with maps that are almost devoid of any sort of cover....

The only difference here is that these are potato PVE enemies; meaning that, yes, you will be able to take them down with your custom mech builds because they will be running stock, and, as far as I know, you can get some pretty insane damage reductions, damage buffs, and equipment long before the DLC ever arrives.

Also worth considering that, all of PGI save for like, 4 people, are working on MW5; And that in the editor, you can find files for clan mechs, albeit empty save for one filed named this:

Nightgyr_ExportList

They've likely been working on IS mechs first before importing over the clan mechs. I'm almost certain that the clan DLC will either be hinted in the next upcoming installment, or be the next DLC itself.

#18 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:43 AM

The only DLC I'm really wanting is the Clan invasion.

#19 GROG13

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Arizona

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

Here is an idea, how about if we have it so we can shoot down enemy dropships? It would seem that the only one that can be shot down is ours(hence long monotones walks and long escape routes.) And how about making the JJ's physically correct ie: if you fire them while turning you will change direction. Or if you are running up a hill and jump off the top you will fly much higher, or if you fire them while reversing it will drop you straight down. All these things were in Mech' 4 .

Hmmm how about continuing the storyline of commander Mason from where it so anti-climatically ended grrrr! just when we about to enter Clan space and so on.
And speaking of Clans, when does the Clan invasion start? The Clans used Mercs as well, right?
or maybe that could be a career start kind of thing.
Ok ramble over(until I think of more lol) GLGH GROG OVER AND OUT!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users