Beachhead Missions Are Horrible!

28 replies to this topic

#1 Lanisu

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:57 PM

So I just tried to do a 80+ difficulty beachhead. The higher rating missions practically require an all assault lance but I'm too damn slow and just die to the artillery. Was this play tested at all? The artillery is like 500m - 1k out from the objective and if you're in anything slower than 50, there's just no way to avoid artillery and just die.. If I take a lighter mech and run out ahead to try and snipe artillery, they are guarded and if I take an all heavy lance instead of assault so the team can keep up, I don't have enough fire power to beat the mission anyway.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:36 PM

Hmm, sounds like it'd be a fun challenge. I'm tempted to give it a go, but I'm sticking with MWO for now till my month of premium time is up. I've been away too long to hop out now. But thanks for the heads up on these, I'll look out for 'em once I'm back in MW5.

~Leone.

#3 fogsworth

• PipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:18 PM

Bring some artillery of your own! idk, never tried it.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:52 AM

reminds me of the long tom. i kind of wish there was a bit more time between the markers appearing and the bombs falling. because in an assault mech, there just isnt enough time to get clear. put on some extra back armor for those, you will need it. alternatively run a squirrel, but this can be problematic on some higher difficulty missions.

think it might actually be a good use case for the raven, when you kill off the arty emplacements, fight the rest of the mission by narc. the arty doesn't go for your lance, just you, and if they are back a ways plodding along they wont get hit. if you need something to die, and its too big for you, narc it.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 June 2021 - 06:56 AM.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:34 AM

Beachhead missions are a perfect example of why being big and slow and stompy is not always how to win. Sometimes you need some mobility. Sometimes you just need some OP 75 ton mechs that can win encounters with assault mechs and still clear 60kph. If all you have are Stalkers and King Crabs, you shouldn't sign on for a recon mission and you shouldn't sign on for a beachhead mission.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:33 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 June 2021 - 08:34 AM, said:

Beachhead missions are a perfect example of why being big and slow and stompy is not always how to win. Sometimes you need some mobility. Sometimes you just need some OP 75 ton mechs that can win encounters with assault mechs and still clear 60kph. If all you have are Stalkers and King Crabs, you shouldn't sign on for a recon mission and you shouldn't sign on for a beachhead mission.

dropped in one yesterday where you had to fight multiple assault mechs with veteran skill ai. so you still need some weight to finish the mission, just not you. heavies work, but it gives you some reason to use the squirrels late game.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 June 2021 - 09:36 AM.

#7 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

Secret to beating Beachhead Artillery.

Before dropping the radar dishes, go around avoiding the main objectives and find all the Artillery then destroy them.

Once you drop the last Radar Dish, no Artillery can touch you unless you missed 1 or 2. Sometimes they hide in the corners of the map.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:52 PM

Okay, just took a Battlemaster into a Beachhead and did fine. The artillery takes long enough to land I can get outta the zone whilst brawling it up. They are a blast.

~Leone.

#9 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:33 AM

I think they are a lot of fun - very tough but a lot of fun. I'm at a much lower difficulty at this time though (low 20's) so your experience may be different.

Some things I've learned
1) If you have the right mech you can jump jet out of the artillery as it appears to only hit mechs touching the ground when it lands.

2) Also being faster (I'm recently running a quickdraw or a kintaro) allows you to get out of the splash. If you keep moving I tend not to get hit at all by artillery in those mechs. In a slower mech of course it's harder to do.

3) I tend to have one significantly faster and lighter mech in the fourth slot for 'recon' you can use the command system to target an artillery emplacement you can't easily get to and have that mech attack it ("attack my target"). Tends to keep them away from the main fight and they can sometimes get to and silence a set of guns faster then I could get there.

4) As others have noted take out as much as you can before you trigger the central capture objective.

#10 Dormaus

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:15 AM

typical strat for my friend and me during these: 3 heavy-assault mechs, and one locust. Locust runs off to deal with arty and dishes while the steiner scouts cap

#11 Tenam

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:44 AM

I enjoy these as well... a little more dynamic .. I always play Co-Op so we pick one guy (unfortunately usually not the host as he has AI pilots in tow constantly) as the Artillery Runner and he takes like a dragon or some other fast heavy / or heavy fast medium and he just head straight for the Artillery while the rest plod along to the radar dishes... you can usually avoid the artillery as long as you don't stop and watch for the red circles to change direction when possible.

#12 Valec

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:55 PM

Once the artiliary starts falling, don't move in straight lines for long. The AI is definitely anticipating your movement up until the moment the arty fires, so being wiggly definitely helps. I only got hit with arty on my Marauder II when I was busy fighting harassers.

I still don't really think Beachhead missions are very fun, especially with how the map tends to be laid out. Having to bypass the main objective, but get into range of the aggro mechs and armor in order to do so, is kind of annoying to me. The pay is good, though.

#13 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

The Sleipnir remains the best 'Mech in the game and it shows here. It moves more than fast enough to dodge artillery and can equip double AC/20. Battlemasters, Cyclopses, and other faster assaults make high rating Beachhead a lot easier

#14 Thilas

• Pip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:10 PM

I don't mind the arty.

My big problem is when I get to the point where I have to kill the defenders before the final wave shows up, I'll run into an occasional situation where the an enemy unit either spawned into terrain or just...disappears, never to be seen again, which means that the primary objective is uncompletable.

Edited by Thilas, 11 June 2021 - 02:12 PM.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:14 PM

View PostLeone, on 02 June 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

Okay, just took a Battlemaster into a Beachhead and did fine. The artillery takes long enough to land I can get outta the zone whilst brawling it up. They are a blast.

~Leone.

Yeah, anything that can do 64 kph will be fine. Usually that means me running around in a Marauder or a Battlemaster. I tend to relegate slower mechs to my AI lancemates (I currently have 2 Awesomes, 8Q and 8T, for ranged support).

View PostThilas, on 11 June 2021 - 02:10 PM, said:

I don't mind the arty.

My big problem is when I get to the point where I have to kill the defenders before the final wave shows up, I'll run into an occasional situation where the an enemy unit either spawned into terrain or just...disappears, never to be seen again, which means that the primary objective is uncompletable.

I've seen enemy vehicles get stuck inside weird cavities in the terrain in urban areas, but I've never seen it so bad that I couldn't get an angle on them and kill them. Don't know if that means I'm just BS lucky or what. /shrug

#16 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:04 PM

totally agree. I'm doing more dodging and killing artillery than anything else on this mode. and it pure sucks

#17 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

I've done Beach Head missions on difficulty 80 in a King Crab, at 48Km/h, and had no issue. I just watched the red target circles and kept avoiding them, pushing past them at full speed. Literally didn't get hit once.

Keep moving. That's the key.

Moving in 3rd person view also helps sometimes, to better see the target circles.

You can't stand there like a statue and snipe..

Edited by Vellron2005, 12 June 2021 - 01:00 PM.

#18 Thilas

• Pip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:01 PM

View PostEscef, on 11 June 2021 - 08:14 PM, said:

I've seen enemy vehicles get stuck inside weird cavities in the terrain in urban areas, but I've never seen it so bad that I couldn't get an angle on them and kill them. Don't know if that means I'm just BS lucky or what. /shrug

In the Crimson Inclination first mission (the beachhead one), I had a J Edgar spawn inside a boulder, the only reason I knew it was there was because the friendly AI Spider kept trying to shoot it by jumping up and shooting the medium laser at the top of the boulder, I couldn't figure out how to get to it to shoot it, so I reloaded from the last autosave.

The second time it happened again, but this time the J Edgar kept trying to bump its nose out of the boulder and I was able to step on it by grinding against the boulder.

I had something similar happen in another Beachhead mission where a Dervish of all things disappeared (it showed up again when I reloaded from the autosave).

I thought it happened a third time, but that time it was an SRM carrier that had to trundle towards the base from Zimbabwe through a winding pass on a map where stuff was 3km apart.

#19 A Baoa Qu

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:58 AM

Take an all assault lance, but avoid the 50kph assaults. 60kph is enough speed to dodge most of the incoming artillery.

#20 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:49 AM

View PostA Baoa Qu, on 13 June 2021 - 08:58 AM, said:

Take an all assault lance, but avoid the 50kph assaults. 60kph is enough speed to dodge most of the incoming artillery.

As previously stated, I've dodged artillery without problem in a 48kph King Crab.. you just gotta be aware of your environment (3rd person view helps), and you just gotta be full throttle the whole time..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users