Where Did The Dragons Go?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Rifleman89

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:14 PM

Anyone seen a Dragon Mech in a game? I have seen 1 - YES ONE! in two years. I sold all mine over a year ago. Why not fix the really broken mechs and make them reliable again? I can't imagine that we're all supposed to be dirty horders of obsolete mechs, but it appears true unless you bit the bullet like I did with my poor Dragons. I would buy and use them again, but I'm already suffering horrible Tier decrease since I decided to only pilot mechs of my namesake, Rifleman. I bought and try to play them all but they are truly not reliable with the unending Nascar that doesn't work for slower 2nd line support mechs. You get overrun by all the mobility needed in this game. I've watched lights duking it out in the end, because that's all that is usually left and they do no damage to each other..,magic....

#2 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:16 PM

When the grand dragon came out a month and a half ago they were everywhere dude. I think people are burnt out on them right now

#3 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:18 PM

You see a fair amount of Grand Dragons running around thanks to the Stryker pack. They are solid mechs, but only really as brawlers, so that limits their use.

You also see that one dragon that does 3 UAC2's in the right arm now and then. Its not terrible.

But overall yeah, like 80% of IS heavy variants don't get used. Its mostly a matter for the Cauldron's Quirk pass, which is being worked on.

I sympathize about the Rifleman as its one of my favorite mechs, but it doesn't quite measure up.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:33 PM

I've been having fun trolling about in my rifleman, but I'll admit it doesn't put out the damage like some other mechs do.

~Leone.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:47 PM

The Dragon is a mediocre chassis, that's why. We only saw a brief resurgence of the chassis due to the recent Strkyer Pack. Now they will fade back into the shadows.

#6 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:02 PM

Saw a Grand Dragon earlier today but he was afk (not kidding), I have a Fang I got before the epic failasco but I basically moved exclusively over to mediums so its collecting dust now.....well most of them are very dusty but, anything over 55 tons is buried in dust.

Oh I killed one a few days back, forgot about that one.

#7 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:11 PM

Grand Dragon DRG-1G(S) is pretty popular, still being driven around...
10% Cooldown
-10% Heat
+20% Weapon Velocity (for both PPC & Missiles)

Just wish it has more than 4 energy hard points...

#8 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:13 PM

Hard to believe that back in the old days the Dragon with the dakka had a period of being the meta in the game.

#9 GoGo Yubari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:23 AM

I've been taking mine out lately (as well as playing around with the Grand Dragon), but yeah I guess this is one of the chassis that could use a little love.

#10 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:25 AM

The fang is good, super tanky and amazing quirks for 3LPL or AC10+3LL.

#11 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:41 AM

the 3UAC2 dragon is still excellent.

Other variants, not so much.

#12 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:47 AM

I've been running a Grand Dragon with 2 er-ppc, 2 ml and either 2 srm4 or a single mrm 10. Good size engine and the ultra high torso energy mounts have made it great a peaking and dropping the er-ppc shots off with minimal exposure.

It can be relatively forgiving of using an XL engine if you're mobile and don't insist in standing in the open.

#13 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:12 AM

View PostRifleman89, on 01 June 2021 - 04:14 PM, said:

Where Did The Dragons Go?

... magic ....

"This is where the dragons went.

They lie ...

Not dead, not asleep. Not waiting, because waiting implies expectation. Possibly the word we're looking for here is...

. . . dormant.

And although the space they occupy isn't like nor­mal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. Not a cubic inch there but is filled by a claw, a talon, a scale, the tip of a tail, so the effect is like one of those trick drawings and your eyeballs eventually realise that the space between each dragon is, in fact, another dragon.

They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly and proud and arrogant."

Posted Image

Edited by martian, 02 June 2021 - 03:12 AM.

#14 RUSTY RASTIL

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:41 AM

Lmao what are you on about, i see dragons every day.

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 June 2021 - 04:20 AM

View PostPeppaPig, on 02 June 2021 - 02:47 AM, said:

I've been running a Grand Dragon with 2 er-ppc, 2 ml and either 2 srm4 or a single mrm 10. Good size engine and the ultra high torso energy mounts have made it great a peaking and dropping the er-ppc shots off with minimal exposure.

Same. It works well as a skirmisher, and the 20% velocity boost is great for an MRM 10. It can’t brawl or boat things, which is why it’s not more common.

#16 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:55 AM

i enjoy taking out a dragon now and again. before the striker pack i had one and since i got the pack i have 2 more (not a fan of the red shine of the hero so i use the special variant more often). its not a bad long range mech with either ER PPCs or LLs. fill that missile slot with 2 SRM-4s or an MRM-10 and you got a decent build. then again i play what is fun not what is "meta", if i like a mech and can do decent in it i play it.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:14 AM

View PostRifleman89, on 01 June 2021 - 04:14 PM, said:

Anyone seen a Dragon Mech in a game? I have seen 1 - YES ONE! in two years. I sold all mine over a year ago. Why not fix the really broken mechs and make them reliable again? I can't imagine that we're all supposed to be dirty horders of obsolete mechs, but it appears true unless you bit the bullet like I did with my poor Dragons. I would buy and use them again, but I'm already suffering horrible Tier decrease since I decided to only pilot mechs of my namesake, Rifleman. I bought and try to play them all but they are truly not reliable with the unending Nascar that doesn't work for slower 2nd line support mechs. You get overrun by all the mobility needed in this game. I've watched lights duking it out in the end, because that's all that is usually left and they do no damage to each other..,magic....

I saw the Hero Dragon "Fang" in the wild approximately two hours ago ...

Posted Image

#18 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:44 PM

Aww, I didn't take a screen shot, but I did see a group dropping with four Flames as well.

~Leone.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 01:57 PM

I still see dragons once in a while.

Its one of the oldest mechs in MWO and definitely needs an update to its hardpoints.

#20 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:04 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 01 June 2021 - 04:18 PM, said:

You see a fair amount of Grand Dragons running around thanks to the Stryker pack. They are solid mechs, but only really as brawlers, so that limits their use.

If all anyone sees when they look at a Grand Dragon is a Brawler, they are doing it wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users