Where Did The Dragons Go?

35 replies to this topic

#21 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 11:09 AM

DRG-1G(S) Grand Dragon spotted in the wild ten minutes ago ...

Posted Image

#22 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:13 AM

They are garbage in the current "meta" people realized this after the grand dragon appeared they played them and then stopped.. Why play a bad mech when so many good mechs get the job done better...

I suppose it is like the Hellfires over in clan tech..

#23 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:40 AM

I see Dragon DRG-1G(S) everyday, but obviously not in every game.
It's +10% Cooldown, -10% Heat Gen, +20% Weapon Velocity (PPC, Missiles) is sweet Posted Image

Dragon DRG-1G(S) with Baradul's build (3x Snub-PPC, MRM10) is pretty good!

The issue with the DRG-1G(S): with no ballistic hardpoints, only four (4) energy hardpoints, & one (1) missile hardpoint in CT
(Sorry, I consider the "two" missile hardpoints = 1x missile hardpoint when in CT):

Players are forced to do brawling config (Snub-PPC, SRM/MRM, etc.), or longer range layout (4x Large Lasers fired at once, anyone?).

There is no mid-range for the 60ton DRG-1G(S).
Mid-range = 6x Medium Laser (or better still 6x Medium Pulse Laser), but DRG-1G(S) only has four (4) energy hardpoints.
Heck, even the current "free" mech event, 30ton Javelin JVN-10A can fire 7x Medium Laser at once!

Therefore DRG-1G(S) is a niche mech, reasons as above.

As for the other Dragon variants, it is for other (more experienced) players to comment upon.

Edited by w0qj, 08 June 2021 - 08:18 PM.

#24 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:02 AM

saw one in ultramarine livery last week.

#25 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

Use the 1xUAC2, 1xUAC5, 2xML Dragon. Its sounds like ****...

You'd be surprised how effective it is, the thing has assault level armor points in the CT. Tanky as ****, really fast torso twist, crazy agility accel and deccel, good speed. Just keep that Ballistics arm intact.

#26 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:17 PM

View Postw0qj, on 05 June 2021 - 06:40 AM, said:

Players are forced to do brawling config (Snub-PPC, SRM/MRM, etc.), or longer range layout (4x Large Lasers fired at once, anyone?).

Mid-range = 6x Medium Laser (or better still 6x Medium Pulse Laser), but DRG-1G(S) only has four (4) energy hardpoints.

4 LLs is mid range for full damage.
MLs are brawl.

#27 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 06 June 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

4 LLs is mid range for full damage.
MLs are brawl.

4 LL and an MRM-10 is the first build I tried. It just doesn't use the LL's effectively because it has 2 low mounts spaced very far apart. My Jester (catapult hero) and my grasshopper just do it better.

#28 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:11 PM

View Postw0qj, on 05 June 2021 - 06:40 AM, said:

I see Dragon DRG-1G(S) everyday, but obviously not in every game.
It's +10% Cooldown, -10% Heat Gen, +20% Weapon Velocity (PPC, Missiles) is sweet Posted Image

Dragon DRG-1G(S) with Baradul's build (3x Snub-PPC, MRM20) is pretty good!

The issue with the DRG-1G(S): with no ballistic hardpoints, only four (4) energy hardpoints, & one (1) missile hardpoint in CT
(Sorry, I consider the "two" missile hardpoints = 1x missile hardpoint when in CT):

Heck, even the current "free" mech event, 30ton Javelin JVN-10A can fire 7x Medium Laser at once!

Therefore DRG-1G(S) is a niche mech, reasons as above.

As for the other Dragon variants, it is for other (more experienced) players to comment upon.

For a ranged Grand Dragon it would probably be better to just do 2 HPPCs in the high mounts and then pack in whatever backup lasers/SRMs you want for when people get within 90m.

#29 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:46 PM

FupDup said:

1623118302[/url]' post='6409559']
For a ranged Grand Dragon it would probably be better to just do 2 HPPCs in the high mounts and then pack in whatever backup lasers/SRMs you want for when people get within 90m.

I’m actually finding it works best with regular peeps. six extra tons for heavy PPCs means it has to seriously skimp on stuff.

https://mech.nav-alp...1e26cb2_DRG-1GS

mind you, it’s no powerhouse. You won’t get top match damage with a build like this...

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 07 June 2021 - 09:47 PM.

#30 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:59 PM

I went with 1x LPL 3x LPPC and 2x SRM4.. and all rounder build it works in my tier levels

#31 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:43 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 07 June 2021 - 12:25 PM, said:

4 LL and an MRM-10 is the first build I tried. It just doesn't use the LL's effectively because it has 2 low mounts spaced very far apart. My Jester (catapult hero) and my grasshopper just do it better.

Working fine for me, now if I just could get that darn T-Bolt working without copying a build from another T-Bolt.

#32 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:54 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 03 June 2021 - 04:04 AM, said:

If all anyone sees when they look at a Grand Dragon is a Brawler, they are doing it wrong.

It can do other things for sure, but it doesn't really stand out doing them. If it had another hardpoint, or was 65 tons, then there'd be a lot of options. But as it is, people are still generally running other heavy options.

Edited by Heavy Money, 08 June 2021 - 06:55 PM.

#33 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:16 PM

You can also try 2x Heavy-PPC build, and DRG-1G(S) quirks really helps (10% Cooldown, -10% Heat, +20% Weapons Velocity) translates to a direct increase in DPS upon target hit!
You can put little else in this mech besides a few heat sinks and perhaps one or two Medium Lasers.
You need to be careful of the 90meter minimum range of Heavy-PPC...

I recommend Baradul's 3x Snub-PPC build + MRM10 short range brawler, and it just works for DRG-1G(S)!
No minimum range to worry about.

Edited by w0qj, 08 June 2021 - 08:17 PM.

#34 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

View PostPeppaPig, on 02 June 2021 - 02:47 AM, said:

I've been running a Grand Dragon with 2 er-ppc, 2 ml and either 2 srm4 or a single mrm 10. Good size engine and the ultra high torso energy mounts have made it great a peaking and dropping the er-ppc shots off with minimal exposure.

It can be relatively forgiving of using an XL engine if you're mobile and don't insist in standing in the open.

How many heat sinks do you need to keep that heat efficient? Is it like 17 plus a bunch of skills? A double ER PPC Dragon was always a pipe dream for me back in the day. Maybe now it's viable.

#35 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:31 AM

The Dragon is very Blocky and have big Hitboxes ...its like to try a Sherman tank with modern Weapons and more Armor in a Modern Battle ...same Problem like the Awesome Posted Image

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 24 June 2021 - 02:32 AM.

#36 Tomo Sukesada

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:00 AM

What about the Flame with Heavy Gauss and quad ERML? It is listed as B-Tier on Grims list...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users