#41 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:10 AM

View Posttomzah, on 02 June 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

Due to the c-bill roadblock you hit shortly after leaving cadet phase where you have to grind for months before you can afford a new heavy/assault mech, not to mention equip it,
ROFL. All you need to do is pay attention to the events and farm them. With the monthly free mech event, you're guaranteed your second mech within a week or two at most - and with event rewards, a third.

Edited by Horseman, 03 June 2021 - 02:12 AM.

#42 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:37 AM

Edit: I'm wrong about Leone being in tier 1, so the following is pretty much all wrong other than the overall point about it feeling as if there are only two tiers/types of games and needing improvements to the match maker asap.
---------------------------------------------------

Here's something I've noticed recently

There are only two tiers

I have two accounts, this tier 5 IS account I'm posting from and a tier 3 Clan account (Mechatankzilla). I've been playing quite a bit on the clan account recently in order to get the free Timber Wolf as it's a fave of mine.

During that time Mechantankzilla played a fair number of games with Leone, a tier 1 player. I think we have compatible play times and they tend to be lower population times because I'm in Europe. I've never seem them when playing as Dogstar.

So a tier 3 player was regularly matched with a tier 1 player but not a tier 5 player.

So going back to my previous point - there seem to be only two types of matches, ones where tiers 4 and 5 play, and ones where tiers 1 to 3 play. There's an obvious difference to them too as tiers 1-3 are 90% nascar and use 20% of the map, whereas tiers 4 & 5 are much more loosely structured and can wander all over the map (although mostly they don't) - it would be very interesting to see heat maps compared between the two types of match.

So for match making purposes there's little difference between tier 3 and tier 1, maybe there's the occasional and magical 'tier 3 game' that only has tier 3 players but I suspect that they occur less than we think they do. We simply can't tell without showing the tier in the pre and post match line-up.

So if there are effectively only two tiers of match making then the PSR system and the match maker really aren't working well. That's definitely the area where the Cauldron needs to push PGI, firstly to release stats so we can understand what's going on, secondly to work out what game modes/queues/options will actually work out, and then lastly to free up a developer to rework the match maker code.

Edited by Dogstar, 03 June 2021 - 10:34 PM.

#43 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:14 AM

I play in NA prime and the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is immediately obvious. Could be a population thing.

#44 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:50 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 03 June 2021 - 06:14 AM, said:

I play in NA prime and the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is immediately obvious. Could be a population thing.

Yeah as I said my playtime is almost always with a low population so it seems I'm seeing quite a different game from others.

I still think my point about the matchmaker stands though. I really think the Cauldron should try to put some pressure on PGI in this area.

Edited by Dogstar, 03 June 2021 - 07:51 AM.

#45 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:09 AM

ah yes complaining you not have potato's as opponents
and that you face people with skills is really bad.

welcome to my world wish i could forever stay in tier 5 Posted Image
get used to it many players in MWO knows how to play they been playing for many years they likely can even hit with a blind fold on.

Edited by Abisha, 03 June 2021 - 09:10 AM.

#46 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:04 PM

View PostDogstar, on 03 June 2021 - 04:37 AM, said:

I have two accounts, this tier 5 IS account I'm posting from and a tier 3 Clan account (Mechatankzilla). I've been playing quite a bit on the clan account recently in order to get the free Timber Wolf as it's a fave of mine.

During that time Mechantankzilla played a fair number of games with Leone, a tier 1 player. I think we have compatible play times and they tend to be lower population times because I'm in Europe. I've never seem them when playing as Dogstar.

So a tier 3 player was regularly matched with a tier 1 player but not a tier 5 player.

Okay, so, in the interest of making sure we all have the correct information, I am currently at the bottom of Tier 4 in my main account. I offer for your perusal my Jarl's stats, which do not include Faction Warfare, much like PSR doesn't. If you don't know, I mainly stuck around for Faction. Tried comp, wasn't happy with it, tried Solaris when faction warfare died, but by then I was too late and it was dead as well. Faction Warfare's still fairly dead but alot more lively than it'd been for a while. Since coming back in April I've been having fun with quickplay waiting for faction matches, but I'm getting a bit burned out on it.

https://leaderboard..../search?u=Leone

Weird, I used to have a 10% survival rate... Really didn't feel like I survived that many matches due to my 'W' for the win playstyle. Anyways, I digress. So, point of the matter being I was solidly Tier 3 due to lack of games. Then I played a bunch and went down. I've never been Tier 1

I do not Quickplay like the majority of the player base. I start match heading for where I believe the enemy to be moving, and most of time am correct and rewarded with a glorious fight against superior numbers whilst my teammates flee. I will play lights and engage in light fights. I'll play assaults and stick on the left flank, and engage in light fights or try holding off multipule mechs on my lonesome.

Recently I've been playing a game called 'Suddenly Thanatos' where I take a stealth armoured Heavy brawler behind enemy lines, un-stealth and crash into them whilst they're trading with my team. They all turn their backs on the firing line and my mech gets totally wrecked whilst my team'll sometimes push and get loads of back shots and end up brawling overheated mechs. Sometimes they don't though and I die alone in pointless ignominy. I used to just take heavies and assaults out straight into the enemy for maximum damage over the least amount of time to dunk events and get back to Faction warfare. Unless I'm in a group I'll leave match to check Faction get a new search started if the queues not filling up. I often have two mechs 'in game' at once.

None of these things are good for PSR. If you do 300 damage and a solo kill with only three assists, (assuming your team even finishes the rest of the lance off,) you're not gonna be anywhere near top match score even though I feel like I did my part. (And that's a good game. Finishing a mech whilst outnumbered is Hard!)

I've been dropping with a friend lately and they always move with the group, and keep complaining about their PSR going up, even if they feel like they did poorly. They're Tier 2 now. What we do differently, I go where the fight is, often alone because pugs will pug. They stick with the group which tends to avoid conflict and die late. Meaning they have time to get more damage, higher chance of earning kills and have clutched a few victories from defeat by virtue of being fairly fresh near the endgame brawl. Often with me pointing out targets I'd manage to strip armour off but failed to secure because fighting off multipule mechs is a losing proposition.

I know how to increase my PSR, I just don't care because it's not what I consider fun. It's Quickplay. I play to screw around. And yes, the first mech I meet's prolly having a bad match, but just because I ruined someone else's PSR doesn't mean mine goes up.

As one of my unit mates put it "I'm going to try to win trades and put damage on the enemy without taking any. You know, like a good Mechwarrior should." Pure madness I tell you. I have no idea how anyone has the patience for that.

Also love the Madcat.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 03 June 2021 - 01:15 PM.

#47 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:10 PM

View PostLeone, on 02 June 2021 - 05:29 AM, said:

Actually Grus, it is no longer such.

It still is, it just takes a bit longer.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 June 2021 - 09:17 AM, said:

I hate to break it to you, but that won't go away in Tier 5.

It is actually a lot less severe in the lower tiers. I started at T5 after the first Cauldron patch (due to PSR reset) and the experience was a lot more pleasant. Nascar was virtually nonexistent and there was a greater variety of builds in use, compared to higher tiers where it's constant Nascaring and mega long-range alphas.

#48 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,750 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 June 2021 - 01:10 PM, said:

It is actually a lot less severe in the lower tiers. I started at T5 after the first Cauldron patch (due to PSR reset) and the experience was a lot more pleasant. Nascar was virtually nonexistent and there was a greater variety of builds in use, compared to higher tiers where it's constant Nascaring and mega long-range alphas.

Yeah, I started back in T5 when I came back in March. I'm up to T2 now and the experience hasn't really changed. I do find that I cannot expect a decent match score in just any old mech, so my build options have narrowed, but NASCAR and long range pinpoint is fairly consistent.

#49 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:31 PM

View PostLeone, on 03 June 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Okay, so, in the interest of making sure we all have the correct information, I am currently at the bottom of Tier 4 in my main account.

Pardon me, I could have sworn I'd seen a tier 1 icon on your forum profile, my mistake entirely. I've edited my post to fix that.

I loved your frank post, it was great.

Edited by Dogstar, 03 June 2021 - 10:36 PM.

#50 il1il

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:03 PM

When I started the game last year I thought the teams I got were unbalanced. I wanted to get to T1 so that people would take me seriously when I said that the PSR system was not working. I got there and by the time I did I realized that while some top notch players are in T1 mostly 'average damage sorting' just sorts for selfish behavior.

T1 is full of people who ether; run assault every game with ams, team up with 4, or hide behind their team to leach in losses. Games are tougher sure. But my complaint became that the people don't play as a team they wont support you, if you die they get more damage compared you. I was waiting on match score review, I came back early and its a much more anticompetitive environment than before. I have had backlash from those who proposed the system likely for criticizing it.

Damage is not the whole story. I have distracted a whole team on a commando allowing my team to crush them while they team damage each other and it is not measured in match score. An assault who gets nascared while their team runs away didn't actually deserve the psr loss. Holding off half the team for a long while but didn't score alot of hits. how common is top match score on a narc scout?

I propose to change to 'win loss ratio' sorting. (not elo) No other system can be as holistic in measuring performance. It will also mean that people at the lower win loss ratio will have more fun than the current system. Assign groups the top win loss in their team.

Edited by il1il, 06 June 2021 - 01:17 PM.

#51 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:29 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 02 June 2021 - 11:52 AM, said:

I am recording ALL MY GAMES.

Might i ask what you are using? I have fraps, but it's really old and while it is easy to use for short little clips and screenies, it's not all that hot these days for larger vids, It takes up huge amounts of space for the files and then you have to reformat them and such. (what do you want from 15 year old software)

I was pointed in the direction of something called OSB, but perhaps there is others? I'm just trying to get going in the right direction. I want to make some game play vids for not only this but others.

Any help is always appreciated. :)

#52 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:35 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 03 June 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

Yeah, I started back in T5 when I came back in March. I'm up to T2 now and the experience hasn't really changed. I do find that I cannot expect a decent match score in just any old mech, so my build options have narrowed, but NASCAR and long range pinpoint is fairly consistent.

That is not my experience, the difference between 3 and 4 is a pretty big one. When i drop in games that i know are loaded with 1's, if i am the middle of the pack i've done fairly well. I am not a top player. My aim is a bit suspect, and i kinda like to brawl, and i also play mechs that i don't always do great in. Some mechs i just do lots better by a good margin. My point is even if im in a mech im good in and doing well, there are folks that are better than me in those levels. But if i'm in a match with t4's and such, then i am one of the better players pulling top scores. I am not doing that in the T1 matches. The Tier system is working better i can say that for sure and it's not just a constant ride up you can defiantly go down.

#53 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:36 PM

OBS Studio. I stream, so it's all just a easy by-product as the settings basically overlap.
OBS has NVENC encoding as I have a 2080, means zero GPU impact as well. Once setup OBS is easy. Just takes a bit to get going depending on your setup (as everyone is different).

NVidia Shadowplay is probably the most-simple/basic but there is not a lot of option/customisation there at all.

#54 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:11 PM

Nice. OBS is what I used to use as well. Pretty intuitive and easy to use. Didn't notice any hiccups with my gameplay either.

~Leone

#55 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:11 PM

The problem is the vast majority of players don't communicate, don't bother acknowledging each other, let alone bothering to seemingly give a damn about what everybody else is packing. They tend to wait for others to initiate combat so they can waltz in and clean up, tend to Nascar at first sight and don't bother doing much of anything aside from being dead weight. If you go against the grain and do not Nascar they literally shutdown like they're suffering from PTSD and cannot function or respond to where the enemy is coming from in their new unheard of direction of travel.

I don't know how many games we lost because my team was like "You know, Nine-Ball is telling us where the enemy is, while going to greet them and initiate combat, let us sit back and watch". Me plugging an assault that outguns me (in my 85t Battlemaster)? Meh they'd rather me soak up pointless damage while I am coring the armor off them so they can sweep in for the easy kill. Taking Command Reigns and trying to get our team to push left because that is where the Assaults ended up and it makes sense to have your Assaults leading the push? Nah screw that let us Nascar at first opportunity and leave our Assaults 3-sheets into the wind and wonder why we lost.

I place the blame squarely at the feet of the Veteran's of this community who apparently never bothered to facilitate an atmosphere of communication and help wherein newer players are shown the ropes and not literally thrown in the deep-end of running stock builds in a meta-build game. The selfish players who pushed for their own warped meta version of how Mechwarrior should play and now are nowhere to be seen having to deal with their own mess they created.

Instead newer players learn pretty quickly how to become a one-trick pony because some light managed to wreck them with a 5x SRM6 build that ran rings around them, forcing them to come up with a near useless brawling build in an attempt to not let it happen again. And these bad habits keep getting reinforced over the years and become the jank broken meta that renders 50% of the Chassis useless because they're either too slow, not enough armor or have terrible weapon groupings.

#56 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:45 PM

View PostNine-Ball, on 09 June 2021 - 12:11 PM, said:

The problem is the vast majority of players don't communicate, don't bother acknowledging each other, let alone bothering to seemingly give a damn about what everybody else is packing. They tend to wait for others to initiate combat so they can waltz in and clean up, tend to Nascar at first sight and don't bother doing much of anything aside from being dead weight. If you go against the grain and do not Nascar they literally shutdown like they're suffering from PTSD and cannot function or respond to where the enemy is coming from in their new unheard of direction of travel.

I don't know how many games we lost because my team was like "You know, Nine-Ball is telling us where the enemy is, while going to greet them and initiate combat, let us sit back and watch". Me plugging an assault that outguns me (in my 85t Battlemaster)? Meh they'd rather me soak up pointless damage while I am coring the armor off them so they can sweep in for the easy kill. Taking Command Reigns and trying to get our team to push left because that is where the Assaults ended up and it makes sense to have your Assaults leading the push? Nah screw that let us Nascar at first opportunity and leave our Assaults 3-sheets into the wind and wonder why we lost.

I place the blame squarely at the feet of the Veteran's of this community who apparently never bothered to facilitate an atmosphere of communication and help wherein newer players are shown the ropes and not literally thrown in the deep-end of running stock builds in a meta-build game. The selfish players who pushed for their own warped meta version of how Mechwarrior should play and now are nowhere to be seen having to deal with their own mess they created.

Instead newer players learn pretty quickly how to become a one-trick pony because some light managed to wreck them with a 5x SRM6 build that ran rings around them, forcing them to come up with a near useless brawling build in an attempt to not let it happen again. And these bad habits keep getting reinforced over the years and become the jank broken meta that renders 50% of the Chassis useless because they're either too slow, not enough armor or have terrible weapon groupings.

I dunno if you can blame veterans for not teaching people how to play lol

You can blame pretty much everything else on veterans though. I do.

#57 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:28 PM

View PostKhobai, on 09 June 2021 - 02:45 PM, said:

I dunno if you can blame veterans for not teaching people how to play lol

You can blame pretty much everything else on veterans though. I do.

Why not?

The "Vets" did all they could to push and prod PGI to give them the game they paid for. Are they wrong? No they're not wrong in expecting PGI to give them a product they paid for and helped fund.

But the result is as we see today. I take a year+ break to come back to the same old same old meta of boat-everything arcade-action shooter with Mechs from Mechwarrior.

Thankfully they nailed MW5. Now they just need to swap MWO for MW5 online and everything will be fixed, no questions asked. /s

#58 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:38 PM

I guess they couldve done more with that apprenticeship thing they talked about one time where veteran players would take on an apprentice and teach them the game.

I thought that was a good idea but nothing ever really became of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users