#21 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:21 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 June 2021 - 11:38 AM, said:

Its malware, partially owned by the CCP and is responsible for debacles like the delay of Metro Exodus and other titles by up to and over a year on other platforms.

Hi, computer engineer here. Epic isn't malware. Well... no more than Facebook is. It collects user data, it sucks a bit, but it doesn't hide things on your computer or snoop into other programs or connections.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled argument. Posted Image

#22 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:40 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 03 June 2021 - 01:21 PM, said:

Hi, computer engineer here. Epic isn't malware. Well... no more than Facebook is. It collects user data, it sucks a bit, but it doesn't hide things on your computer or snoop into other programs or connections.

SWE here. This ^

Also this:

View PostVlad Ward, on 02 June 2021 - 10:13 AM, said:

You can just run the Mechwarrior.exe executable from the game directory. You don't have to have the EGS launcher open. Set up a shortcut on your desktop if you want. If it's anything like steam, you may have to periodically log in to the launcher for the DRM, but just close it right away and you should be fine.

#23 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:55 PM

Epic is actually better'n Steam, and doing exclusives is something steam does all the time so I don't see why the hate for another company doing the same thing.

~Leone

#24 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

Also a SWE, and while yes by the strict definition of malware it isn't. However, its a nasty piece of digital scurf, that weighs your system down.

The first time I had heard the CCP "rumor" it was from an Epic employee himself. The truth is mostly likely that it isn't, but stems from the fact that Tencent owns 40% stake in Epic.

https://www.pcworld....ersy-explained/

I personally think its fine, and not dangerous to have on your computer, but that doesn't mean it isn't insufferable bloatware. This isn't because I am a Steam zealot either, I don't particularly care for the steam installer or background services either, but at least they don't gobble up quite so many system resources.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:42 PM

i admit these days the bar isnt set very high. i didnt even trust steam when it was new, the ms store even less than epic (i bought the game on epic), i dont even really trust apt-get on linux. thing is i want to buy games, i dont want to hand out personal information, to anyone. but its not like there is a high privacy option any more. even if you could buy it over the counter you usually get a cd with an out of date copy of steam on it and a key. way of the future or recipe for abomination, that's an exercise for the reader. is it malware, probibly not, probably.

also a programmer.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 June 2021 - 05:43 PM.

#26 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:46 PM

View PostBelorion, on 03 June 2021 - 05:16 PM, said:

Also a SWE, and while yes by the strict definition of malware it isn't. However, its a nasty piece of digital scurf, that weighs your system down.

The first time I had heard the CCP "rumor" it was from an Epic employee himself. The truth is mostly likely that it isn't, but stems from the fact that Tencent owns 40% stake in Epic.

https://www.pcworld....ersy-explained/

I personally think its fine, and not dangerous to have on your computer, but that doesn't mean it isn't insufferable bloatware. This isn't because I am a Steam zealot either, I don't particularly care for the steam installer or background services either, but at least they don't gobble up quite so many system resources.

i have to restart after running mw5 (when you load the game epic also loads). otherwise it slows down my ethereum miner and reduces my hash rate.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 June 2021 - 05:46 PM.

#27 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:08 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 June 2021 - 05:46 PM, said:

i have to restart after running mw5 (when you load the game epic also loads). otherwise it slows down my ethereum miner and reduces my hash rate.

lol... I have to stop all my mining, or it slows down my game.

#28 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:15 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 June 2021 - 11:38 AM, said:

Its malware, partially owned by the CCP and is responsible for debacles like the delay of Metro Exodus and other titles by up to and over a year on other platforms.

Steam is malware. It gathers data about your computer. What do you want in life?

People complained up and down about Steam through the years. Give me a break lol.

Play the game. Just go play it. Enough nonsense. You just want Steam because its what you want. You don't always get what you want in life. They are not going to give it to you for free. Incredibly few companies ever would.

Heck even the game is made from Epic engine. So you're putting Epic stuff on your computer anyway through whatever store which makes it even more ridiculous.

Get over it.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 04 June 2021 - 04:27 AM.

#29 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 05:53 AM

View PostBelorion, on 03 June 2021 - 06:08 PM, said:

lol... I have to stop all my mining, or it slows down my game.

it goes both ways.

#30 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:07 AM

View PostSomersetStriker, on 04 June 2021 - 04:15 AM, said:

Steam is malware. It gathers data about your computer. What do you want in life?

People complained up and down about Steam through the years. Give me a break lol.

Play the game. Just go play it. Enough nonsense. You just want Steam because its what you want. You don't always get what you want in life. They are not going to give it to you for free. Incredibly few companies ever would.

Heck even the game is made from Epic engine. So you're putting Epic stuff on your computer anyway through whatever store which makes it even more ridiculous.

Get over it.

everyone from the cpu manufacturer, the os developer, developers for the various software you install, and the government all have their hooks in your system. people have been mindlessly clicking accept all these years and this is the consequence of that. of course was it ever really a choice? click accept or lose the money you just spent and dont get the thing you wanted. the only way to win is not to play. but then you are living in the woods eating squirrels for a living, so do you ever really win? or you can try not to think about that and enjoy your game. also there is still beer if t keeps you up nights.

then the whole china thing, i mean its bad, but then you realize that 90% of the companies you do business with have sold out to china already. you can boycott them but that would make your life very complicated. and china is not to blame, they are just being china. blame those who would put up with an authoritarian regime just to make a buck at our expense. unfortunately those people also run everything. good thing there is vodka.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 June 2021 - 04:33 PM.

#31 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 04 June 2021 - 02:53 PM

Well those of us who bought it on Epic did PGI a Favor, we could have waited till it came out on steam, as far as who i give my money to id rather not to either steam or Epic, rather it would go straight to pgi

#32 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:30 PM

Expect why would I ever wanna get it on steam when I could get it through Good Old Games? I do approve of giving the money straight to the developer though.

~Leone.

#33 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 08:53 AM

a more fair way to do it is give anynoe with an old epic key a 75% off discount on the steam edition. steam still wants its 15%, and it seems that if you pay that and another 10% to pgi for setting it up, seems like it could make everyone whole. steam gets money, pgi gets money, and you get to run it on your preferred platform.

in a perfect world all store platforms would let you transfer your licenses to your preferred platform or even import your stack of legit cd keys from pre-steam games (which are incidentally are now on steam) so i could play them without scrounging up a still working cd drive.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 June 2021 - 08:57 AM.

#34 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:08 AM

While the idea is... Well, laughably naive, it has given me an idea. What if PGI gave discount coupons valid across EPIC, Steam, GoG, XBox marketplace, etc.? Bought the game? Want to game with a friend and take advantage of co-op play? Here's a 35% off coupon! I mean, since there's cross-platform play, why not? Even at a discount, a sale's a sale.

#35 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

View PostEscef, on 06 June 2021 - 05:08 AM, said:

While the idea is... Well, laughably naive, it has given me an idea. What if PGI gave discount coupons valid across EPIC, Steam, GoG, XBox marketplace, etc.? Bought the game? Want to game with a friend and take advantage of co-op play? Here's a 35% off coupon! I mean, since there's cross-platform play, why not? Even at a discount, a sale's a sale.

pgi might have had fewer preorder refunds had they offered a half off coupon (for a second copy, the dlc, or any mwo content pack) as part of the deal. i dont expect them to do anything at this point though. they already have their money.

#36 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:31 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 June 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

pgi might have had fewer preorder refunds had they offered a half off coupon (for a second copy, the dlc, or any mwo content pack) as part of the deal. i dont expect them to do anything at this point though. they already have their money.

But do they want more money? I would by the DLC if I could play it on steam.

#37 Nemesis Bosseret

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:00 PM

LMFAO. Hate to break it to you guys but if ur on windows at all ur data is getting mined and ur system is being bogged down. Got apple? Well thats getting mined too. All Tech now of days is mining ur data, thru ur phone, ur browser, ur tv, basically almost anything that draws power. Worried about the CCP? So is the CCP. They monitor there own people along with everyone else. So does basically every government and company on the planet. Epic/Steam/Microsoft/Google/Amazon/Facebook/Instagram. Doesn't matter. Ur data is so sold out its worthless. Hell almost everything goes thru AWS(amazon web services) and all of that is tapped and monitored. Nothing you do is secret anymore or a mystery or private. Either get over it or go live with the Amish.

#38 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

Or have a basic understanding of computer systems and rip out the parts you don't want.

~Leone.

#39 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:53 PM

View PostNemesis Bosseret, on 17 June 2021 - 02:00 PM, said:

LMFAO. Hate to break it to you guys but if ur on windows at all ur data is getting mined and ur system is being bogged down. Got apple? Well thats getting mined too. All Tech now of days is mining ur data, thru ur phone, ur browser, ur tv, basically almost anything that draws power. Worried about the CCP? So is the CCP. They monitor there own people along with everyone else. So does basically every government and company on the planet. Epic/Steam/Microsoft/Google/Amazon/Facebook/Instagram. Doesn't matter. Ur data is so sold out its worthless. Hell almost everything goes thru AWS(amazon web services) and all of that is tapped and monitored. Nothing you do is secret anymore or a mystery or private. Either get over it or go live with the Amish.

while this is true, the attitude that it is acceptable is bad and people who hold that attitude should feel bad. they might love their gadgets so much that they will sell their soul to the devil to use them, but they should at least be angry about it.

#40 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:57 PM

View PostLeone, on 17 June 2021 - 02:05 PM, said:

Or have a basic understanding of computer systems and rip out the parts you don't want.

~Leone.

problem is if you want security you have to give up versatility. you can get a computer with the management engine disabled for a premium, run a security oriented linux os on it, perhaps tails. but the second you install 3rd party software or connect to the internet, that all goes out the window.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 June 2021 - 05:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users