Frustration Reentering Qp Queue After Death

15 replies to this topic

#1 il1il

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

After the player dies they would have to change mechs to enter a match as the current one is locked. So while already frustrated by death... The game tells you you must change what your doing (added frustration). Then the game requires you to choose to enter new match or the old but if your used to just clicking quick play than you mouse away from it and the window closes..

This may seem petty and small but annoyances like this can compound frustrations in a game repeatedly.

Possible solutions:
- Don't make window disappear with mouse movement
- Don't ask if the mech has been changed
- Don't make players change mechs/ don't lock mechs
- Make the "quick play" button its self change into that option.

Edited by il1il, 04 June 2021 - 08:45 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:10 PM

I'm always weirded out when I click on the quickplay button and it doesn't ask me if I wanna launch in a new mech or rejoin an old match. I do miss being able to requeue for Faction warfare without having to swap to my alt...

~Leone.

#3 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,411 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:08 PM

You can go play another mech in your same account in the meanwhile, to bypass this original "locked" mech if you quit midway thru the previous match.

Rinse and repeat :)

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 02:35 AM

View Postil1il, on 04 June 2021 - 08:44 PM, said:

This may seem petty and small but annoyances like this can compound frustrations in a game repeatedly.

I agree that the user interface could use some fine-tuning.

#5 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:17 AM

Indeed, it bugged me too from the very start. I assumed it is some "modern" interface.

#6 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:48 AM

View Postw0qj, on 04 June 2021 - 11:08 PM, said:

You can go play another mech in your same account in the meanwhile, to bypass this original "locked" mech if you quit midway thru the previous match.

Rinse and repeat Posted Image

It's built this way as a monetization incentive. Yes, you "can" keep playing, but only if you have more 'Mechs and MechBays and have enough new and shiny chassis that you're interested in playing more than 1 at a time.

Less of an issue for space billionaires with 200+ 'Mechs but definitely annoying an impactful to the NPE.

#7 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:13 AM

View PostBrom96, on 05 June 2021 - 04:17 AM, said:

Indeed, it bugged me too from the very start. I assumed it is some "modern" interface.

It's actually the opposite of a 'modern' interface. Confirmation dialogs, popups, and other stuff that add clicks like this feature in MWO are all 'old school' approaches and highly frustrating.

Features like this make it obvious that the developers at PGI didn't take more than minimal effort at designing the UI.

Still it's not as bad is the Elite Dangerous Odyssey release!

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:27 AM

ui designers are evil. they love to ruin time tested interfaces which much of the user base has a strong established muscle memory for operation. these kids come in with design classes taught by hipster apple users who are more concerned with making their products look spiffy than making them full featured and functional (they are the same type of person who has a big modern house and there is no furniture to sit on when you come visit). then they come into their jobs with a change the world attitude and proceed to destroy the usability of systems to of all who came before. just remember its only gonna be some 20 short years before somone comes in and does it to you.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 June 2021 - 11:30 AM.

#9 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:10 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 June 2021 - 11:27 AM, said:

ui designers are evil. they love to ruin time tested interfaces which much of the user base has a strong established muscle memory for operation. these kids come in with design classes taught by hipster apple users who are more concerned with making their products look spiffy than making them full featured and functional (they are the same type of person who has a big modern house and there is no furniture to sit on when you come visit). then they come into their jobs with a change the world attitude and proceed to destroy the usability of systems to of all who came before. just remember its only gonna be some 20 short years before somone comes in and does it to you.

I highly doubt that any of the ui decisions are due to something learned in a design class. Most of the ui appears to have been made by an amateur who has no idea what they are doing.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 01:45 PM

View PostWid1046, on 05 June 2021 - 12:10 PM, said:

I highly doubt that any of the ui decisions are due to something learned in a design class. Most of the ui appears to have been made by an amateur who has no idea what they are doing.

yea, i dont think they can afford hipster. maybe some strip mall college where a sleezy looking guy in a hawaiian shirt reads textbooks to you like you were a toddler.

#11 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:37 PM

with all the problems of the UI i think this is pretty minor,

now the fact that i cant see the paint jobs on some of my mechs in the select mech little squares , Until i take it into mech lab and save something,,,,,,,

well maybe they should just redo the enrtire thing

#12 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,411 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:50 PM

As an aside, it is sometimes worth it to just spectate/watch after you've died, especially when you've died a premature death less than halfway through the game!

Just scroll through your surviving team player roster, and you can get to see other players' mech layout, tactics, torso twisting, cockpit items, etc.!
I find that I can learn a lot by doing this!

Once I happened to spectate half a game inside the cockpit of current game's top player, and it was eye-opening!
He did over 1,600 damage, and had well over 900+ match points!!
(He was using an energy build standard variant Stormcrow firing non-stop; apparently a returning player).

#13 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 02:08 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 05 June 2021 - 10:48 AM, said:

It's built this way as a monetization incentive.

You're kidding right? There's plenty of free mechs you can use to hop into the game while one is locked.

And honestly getting 2 mechs is not a big deal, which is all you need really, when one is in a game play the other one.

I am running a strict free to play account with 42 mechbays and 39 mechs. MWO is the most generous F2P game BY FAR. Look at warthunder or world of tanks lol.

#14 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:54 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 08 June 2021 - 02:08 AM, said:

You're kidding right? There's plenty of free mechs you can use to hop into the game while one is locked.

And honestly getting 2 mechs is not a big deal, which is all you need really, when one is in a game play the other one.

I am running a strict free to play account with 42 mechbays and 39 mechs. MWO is the most generous F2P game BY FAR. Look at warthunder or world of tanks lol.

The game was less generous in 2012 when this feature was designed. It's completely outdated now, and only serves to be annoying if you're trying to level or play with one 'Mech.

#15 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:22 AM

View PostDogstar, on 05 June 2021 - 11:13 AM, said:

It's actually the opposite of a 'modern' interface. Confirmation dialogs, popups, and other stuff that add clicks like this feature in MWO are all 'old school' approaches and highly frustrating.

Features like this make it obvious that the developers at PGI didn't take more than minimal effort at designing the UI.

Still it's not as bad is the Elite Dangerous Odyssey release!

I would actually expect the dialogue boxes to stay open until I click on close, not disappearing when I move the pointer slightly.

Regarding the issue with the mech being locked, I just get two similar builds of a chassy that can perform well and go with that.

That being said, i have a single build that can be played with consistent efficacy after all these change imposed during the past year.

#16 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:08 AM

View Post___, on 09 June 2021 - 10:58 AM, said:

snip

I think you're having a bad day or two. It's a game, you shouldn't be playing until your eyeballs are melting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users