At&t Internet Not Up To Task

15 replies to this topic

#1 Charismatic Enigma

• PipPip
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

After much frustration, with opposing players shooting through objects and map features not displaying, it looks like my 10gb home internet is just not up to the task of MWO Online I have a Ryzen 3600 on an MSI b550 tomahawk, 8 gigs of ram and a Gigabyte 1050 ti 4 gig video card and the performance is unplayable ( all graphics turned down to low) I am wired directly to the router, not wifi. So I've decided to uninstal and move on to something else I have the lastest win 10 and nvidia drivers as well So so long MWO I've wasted enough time on stagnant content and the same modes and maps Just wish I could give my mechs and cbills to another deserving player....

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:56 AM

Can I have your stuff?

And by the way, have you contacted the MWO Tech Support Service?
technical@mwomercs.com

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 12:27 PM

Have you tested your router for packet loss? Routers at the end of their lifedspans can drop a substantial portion or packages thwy are supposed to be sending out.

Bad devices somehwere along the path from you to the server can do the same.

Unless this is about MWO terrain level of detail scaling being funny which is just cryengine being old.

Edited by Gagis, 06 June 2021 - 12:28 PM.

#4 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

Close down google and those unnecessary applications running in the background.
Defrag your drives and disable the "search" function in windows.
I'm running MW on a AMD Rizen 5 2400G and a RX 460 and not a bit of an issue.
Hope this helps.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 June 2021 - 02:53 PM

This is his 3rd departure or woe is me post in the last 8 months, first in Nov 2020.. Feb 2021 and now June 2021. Nowhere has he posted enough details nor really sought help, at least from the player base, nor any indication he had reached out to PGI at least. This is his first time he had posted any info about his system. That I put in approx $200 into a used SFF desktop and added a Geforce 1050 and had no issues with it and obtained decent FPS, without details no one can assist him.

Ryzen 3600 on an MSI b550 tomahawk, 8 gigs of ram and a Gigabyte 1050 ti 4 gig video card

And regardless of his network setup, OP only has control of that, once he hits the net itself he has very little control until he attempts to utilize a VPN, provided he has eliminated specific system and network setup under his control.

And knowing a few coworkers who have AT&T fiber now, sadly they have been running into more issues than they ever did with Suddenlink/Altice, and that is in a city which that cable ISP has gone through 4 companies in the last 25 years with very little cabling upgrades in most locations in the Texas Panhandle.

#6 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:26 PM

Well OP, I would feel bad for you but I have been playing this game since beta on Frontier Internet. With a blazing 4mbps download and 128k upload..... no that is not a typo, 128k, not mb....
And I average about a little less than 1/3 of that in reality. My ping goes from 50, swings up to 500, and anywhere in between. Some of my enemies on the battlefield are simply immune to my fire, in some space/time fold of the internet where the server can't resolve the HSR. I just find other targets. I can do a third party ping test of my connection and get 200 ping to a hub 50 miles from my driveway.
Why is it like this? Because I live in a rural area, and Frontier has a monopoly. I have a fiber line in my house, and from my house to the road(they had to replace the original 1970's line, and 1960's junction box 3 years ago) where it connects to the copper wire put in the ground in the 1980's.
I thought about getting satelite, but people say ping is closer to 600. Maybe the speed would offset it anyway? I don;t know.

Suffice to say, wha wha for you, sorry not sorry. I hope you can find some nice single player offline games to play. If anyone wants a laugh, go to Frontiers facebook page and read responses to every single thing they post. I truly feel bad for the saps that have to manage the PR, every time they post "look here, yay!!" they are met with an angry pitchfork mob.

#7 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, sounds like packet loss.

Most online games use very little actual bandwidth, especially when you compare their data use to things like streaming media. If you're having micro dropouts, warping ingame etc, it's usually due to connection instability or high ping (or both). Could also be CPU related - MWO is surprisingly CPU intensive.

Try a site like https://packetlosstest.com/ and run a few tests. If your loss is over 5-10% it might indicate issues with network congestion. Maybe reboot your router, close any applications that rely on pulling lots of data (youtube, netflix etc).

#8 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:21 PM

View PostZordicron, on 06 June 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

I thought about getting satelite, but people say ping is closer to 600. Maybe the speed would offset it anyway? I don;t know.

I play MWO with a friend who switched to Starlink satellite internet a few months ago and for the most part his ping is just fine, 50-70 on NA server with the occasional ping spike. It is expensive, but is far better than what you are currently getting.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:23 AM

potato isp gonna potato. switch up perhaps.

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:34 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 06 June 2021 - 01:14 PM, said:

Close down google and those unnecessary applications running in the background.
Defrag your drives and disable the "search" function in windows.
I'm running MW on a AMD Rizen 5 2400G and a RX 460 and not a bit of an issue.
Hope this helps.

defrag? what is this, 2010?

#11 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:45 AM

Seems like this guy wants attention more than anything else really. Otherwise he would actually bother to read the posts after, hitting the X.

Judging from some posts anyways, never understood these types of people. A bit bloody silly but there you go.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:22 AM

View PostTherax, on 06 June 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

I play MWO with a friend who switched to Starlink satellite internet a few months ago and for the most part his ping is just fine, 50-70 on NA server with the occasional ping spike. It is expensive, but is far better than what you are currently getting.

there really aint a thing i can do about my ping other than leave the great state of alaska. but at least i get my internet from a major trunk line, its stable if the ping is a little high, speed of light and propagation delay being what they are. but seeing as i grew up in an era when pings of half a second were normal and that 22.8k modem (i was too poor for a 56k) was a narrow bottleneck. so 100-200 is fine to me.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 June 2021 - 02:34 AM.

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:28 AM

View PostCharismatic Enigma, on 06 June 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

After much frustration, with opposing players shooting through objects and map features not displaying, it looks like my 10gb home internet is just not up to the task of MWO Online I have a Ryzen 3600 on an MSI b550 tomahawk, 8 gigs of ram and a Gigabyte 1050 ti 4 gig video card and the performance is unplayable ( all graphics turned down to low) I am wired directly to the router, not wifi. So I've decided to uninstal and move on to something else I have the lastest win 10 and nvidia drivers as well So so long MWO I've wasted enough time on stagnant content and the same modes and maps Just wish I could give my mechs and cbills to another deserving player....

Clear shader cache, set your GPU to run in maximum performance mode for this game (through the Nvidia Control Panel), ensure your GPU is plugged into the card rather than your motherboard.

I'm playing the game fine on a much slower connection and with rather worse hardware, something's wrong on your end.

Edited by Horseman, 08 June 2021 - 04:29 AM.

#14 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:41 AM

View PostCharismatic Enigma, on 06 June 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

Hello there, Charismatic Enigma... :huh:

Whoever told you that 8 GB of RAM is enough for MWO pretty much thoroughly lied to you. While my own computer was on that much, I had to face various lag-type issues. Once it was possible to double that to 16 GB of RAM available, then a lot of those issues went away. There's no question these days that any System Requirements which you see fail to include the needed background operational space for other things in your computer. And yes, I have seen that 4 GB of RAM minimum indication too, which flat out happens to be false. Including the background RAM Sharing that anyone's computer does with their NVidia Card (found out mine can hit 7 GB at any time) while the system is up, and how aggressive that MWO is in loading up stuff, such as textures/models/maps/etc. that can flood both System RAM and GPU RAM which is available, it so happens that is nowhere near enough for the computer in total to survive upon. <_<

So... If you wish to see any worthwhile improvement in your issues, start by upgrading your RAM right now. Don't even start to argue with me here, as I am not intending anything unkind, and very much trying to be helpful to you. Just go do that much-needed RAM Upgrade and you may possibly begin to start enjoying MWO far more than you apparently have been. :(

~D. V. "It's insanity to run MWO on a system with only 8 GB RAM Total these days." Devnull

#15 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 June 2021 - 12:34 AM, said:

defrag? what is this, 2010?

YA never know.

#16 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:06 PM

are you serious? i live in a third world country and i can play even on the australian server.
the anti lag in this game is pretty good.
your issue is something else. or maybe a physical bottleneck somewhere or something like that

ps. i do have 16gb ram so maybe there's that. check that out as they said

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users