#1 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:29 AM

Buff Targeting Computers.
I've just been pondering if we increased structure globally (if it's possible) could we also increase Critical Chance on some weapons and make Targeting Computers critical chance bonus' mean more by buffing them while also being more efficient at critting weapons before removing the structure and components?

I know it's way low on the agenda or not at all but I think it could be worth testing internally as a concept to make Targeting Computers relevant.

I can see 2 possible drawbacks being an effective nerf to heat efficiency and maybe depending on which way you look at it making some mechs too tanky and mobile at the same time.

The whole point is to shuffle things around to where Targeting Computers are worth the investment and a sensible option.

Maybe even just greatly reducing the weight and size by half would be a far better option.
Further progressing that idea:
You could have a tier 1 Targeting computer cost 0.25 tons+1crit slot and go up in 0.25ton increments and never use any more space than 4 critical slots at the max size.

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 11 June 2021 - 08:37 AM.

#2 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:37 AM

I think weight and slot are the main issues really for them, i do try to slot them in but most of the time i will abstain from using them.

#3 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:52 AM

I think they get a decent amount of use as is, TC1 maybe 2 in a number of qp builds. The bigger TCs in FP/comp.

0.25T/level and max 4 crit slots would make them pretty much mandatory on everything as that would be a crazy buff for the investment.

#4 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:27 AM

The issue is that in BattleTech-the-tabletop-game, targeting computers significantly increased your chance to hit. They cost weight and slots like a weapon - a large one, in many cases - but they made your other weapons much more likely to work. They were extremely powerful and desirable because they could make a lower-heat loadout hit like a higher-heat one by eliminating unnecessary redundant shots.

In MWO-the-video-game, targeting computers cannot make any improvement at all in your chances to hit. They can offer any number of targeting-adjacent benefits, but they cannot directly improve your firepower at all because you'll be just as terrible a shot with a T-Comp 7 as with no T-Comp at all. There's no reason to equip targeting computers because they cannot aid you in your targeting.

Targeting computers would, effectively, have to offer increasing levels of automated aim assist in order for their TT functionality to be restored and for them to start being worthwhile at any level above 2ish. One can imagine what "equip this item for soft aimbotting!" would incite in all the Church of Skill jackwads, though. They already flip their gourds over lock-on missiles, allowing an item to grant aim assist to direct-fire weapons would basically cause them all to go thermonuclear on the spot.

Unfortunately this means it's not really possible to make targeting computers relevant, as no amount of passive bonus is going to be worth seven slots and seven tons on anything but a meme build. No amount of extra shot velocity or faster paperdoll acquisition is going to balance out against losing an entire PPC, or most of an AC/5, or the seven medium lasers you could've used instead.

Ironmically? if the Church of Skill folks hadn't decided to handicap the game by insisting on a perfect pinpoint crosshair, where all BattleMech weapons are unnaturally accurate and strike true to exact pixel-perfect point of aim 100% of the time? if instead we had reticle bloom dependent on weapons equipped, 'Mech speed, chassis type, and all those other cool, lore-appropriate factors? Targeting Computers could've been extremely valuable for shrinking that bloom and making your weapons more accurate without the need for aim assist, fulfilling their canonical role of making longer-ranged weapons much easier to hit with and favoring heavy weapons. They would've worked pretty much exactly like their TT counterparts do.

But nah. Church of Skill says reflexive snapshot Call of Overwatch twitch aim is more important than a properly immersive, objectively better BattleTech game.

God I hate Church of Skill people...T_T...

#5 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:33 PM

We could have them actually increase lock time, sensor range, etc. Let them help counteract ECM a bit.

Currently they get used in energy builds when you don't have enough slots for more heatsinks but still have tonnage, and in a few super long range builds.

They should be improved to the point that you might ever want to take one instead of just more heatsinks, or perhaps instead of a weapon.

#6 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:14 AM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 11 June 2021 - 08:52 AM, said:

I think they get a decent amount of use as is, TC1 maybe 2 in a number of qp builds. The bigger TCs in FP/comp.

0.25T/level and max 4 crit slots would make them pretty much mandatory on everything as that would be a crazy buff for the investment.

It could be 0.5 ton increments. Still better to put ammo and weapons than worry about targeting computers right now.
As they currently aren't very beneficial for their weight.
I have them on none of my builds as you have to give up too much firepower and ammo to make the investment pay for it's self but if you imply everyone's using them then who am I to argue. I just thought that would bring them up to "obvious option" instead of shelved dust collectors.

#7 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:51 AM

TC1s and TC2s are already extremely good for QP and are an excellent investment of 1-2 tons and 1-2 slots for that environment.
TC7s and 8s are extremely important for maximum range traders in FW and comp.

The only TCs that I feel are in a bit of a tough spot are those stuck in the middle. TC 3s through probably 6s are in this kind of middle range where they don't tend to be as important. There are mechs where it's worth taking a mid-tier TC for the projectile velocity boost, but in a lot of cases it's better to either go all in or just take a TC 1 or 2.

A lot of people are underestimating the utility of TCs even in QP and overestimating the cost to equip them.

#8 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:10 AM

In QP (Quick Play), what is the TC1 or TC2 valued for?
The benefits of TC1/TC2 seems rather low to me...

~Targeting Time (enemy paper-doll popup faster)?
~Range?
~Velocity? (of ballistic, PPC)?
~+% Critical Hit Chances?

==>The benefits of +% Critical Hit Chances seem rather low to me, is it really worth it?

#9 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:21 PM

Thread moved to Feature Suggestions

#10 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:23 AM

View Postw0qj, on 12 June 2021 - 09:10 AM, said:

In QP (Quick Play), what is the TC1 or TC2 valued for?
Velocity or beam range. Pretty much nobody takes them for the other features.

~Range?
Not worth it for 1s or 2s really. When you take TCs for range it's for optimized trader builds that already stack a shitload of range quirks and skills.

~Velocity? (of ballistic, PPC)?
Possibly yes.

==>The benefits of +% Critical Hit Chances seem rather low to me, is it really worth it?
Hardly. Your base crit is 40%, this stacks additively.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users