6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

Hello FW community!
Myself and some of my unit are slowly starting to get back into FW so I have been trying to find/build some resources to help out on that a bit.
I stumbled onto Yondude's guide and it was great! I watched himself and CountZero, and BROARL's twitch streams on FW, did a bunch of matches as a PUG and a bit of FW with my unit. I am now trying to build on that for my unit with some basic guidance and strategies for drop calling for the various maps and game modes. Ie have something to start with and to refer to for a DC so that he/she is not starting from scratch at the start of the mach. I have been using MWO tactics to do some basic analysis of the of the domination and conquest quick play maps (I am assuming they are relatively the same between QP and FW). I was disappointed to not see the other game modes on there but since that is geared towards comp play I can understand that. And I think you can add your own backgrounds so I'll have to play around with that a bit.
My question is, does anyone know the best spot to get the info on team starting locations and base locations for Skirmish and Assault respectfully for FW for each of the QP maps that is used? I have not stumbled into that info yet, there is probably ways to get it that I am not thinking of. I looked at the Smurfy maps and I think they might be a bit dated.
Cheers! Thanks!

Edited by Jeff on a Buffalo, 16 June 2021 - 09:55 AM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:16 PM

Short of working it out yourself - I don't believe it's is referenced/documented anywhere. It's just acquired knowledge of sorts.

For FP and tactics I would not worry so much about where you spawn. For most maps it's not that relevant because you're in the larger maps for a start and then need to move to various positions and that takes some time. The strong positions on maps don't change either.

A couple of maps it matters like Frozen City (Dom vs Assault, spawns are completely different) the strong points on the map still remain the same youbjustbuse them a bit different.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:48 PM

I personally used smurfy mechlabs maps section, but I don't think they've been keeping uptodate with dropzones, what with the whole being abandoned bit.

And don't forget, drop points are a location that needs protection, even in skirmish. Too many teams completely ignore that and then complain when their fresh mechs get overrun because they ceeded a drop location to the opfor. Also, if getting overrun, remember someone can take command status and move pilots around in different lances. Also good for reposition if'n you're planning on taking a slow mech to a strong point, you can just move to the closest lance to said point.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 16 June 2021 - 03:24 PM.

#4 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

Cheers, thanks for this, all good stuff. I did not know about that stuff about moving pilots around dynamically during a match and the points wrt skirmish makes alot of sense.
Cheers!

#5 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:36 AM

Go see/group up with Yondude/Ash/Leone or any other of the true FP Veterans, they know their stuff inside out and have barely any issues helping beginners .

#6 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:16 PM

Just noticed Leone's signature block has a link to a very nice FW primer that I have not seen before. Thanks for that!
And BOon, I appreciate that suggestion, that is something that I will need to do at some point if my unit gets more into FW. Regardless, I will try to start pugging it a bit more during the more busier FW times once I get a bit further along with my unit's project.

Edited by Jeff on a Buffalo, 17 June 2021 - 03:17 PM.

#7 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

De nada Jeff !
*waves*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users