10 replies to this topic

#1 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:12 AM

you can say: "This map is on the same planet as Polar Highlands"
but you cannot say that is is the same map 'remade'
It has nothing in common except temperature maybe. Gameplay and positioning is different.
please rename the map into whatever you want
Domination, but with a much smaller circle would be freaky, to have to jump down to capture and to be sniped from above while capping
having an lrm map was not so bad, annoying for uncoordinated short range mechs, but not really bad when it does not come up too often just like the hellish hot small map. Rage is part of war. Frustration and helplessness too.
Posted Image

Edited by multisoul, 28 June 2021 - 11:13 AM.

#2 Crunchback

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:43 PM

View Postmultisoul, on 28 June 2021 - 11:12 AM, said:

having an lrm map was not so bad, annoying for uncoordinated short range mechs, but not really bad when it does not come up too often just like the hellish hot small map. Rage is part of war. Frustration and helplessness too.

Good points why it is rightfully gone. I don't play this game to get annoyed or to rage. This game has little to do with war and that's good. My brother saw real war and it was no fun.

Yes, frustration can be a part of gaming. Sometimes I play poor and make bad decisions. Frustrating but at least it helps me improve. Poor pugs can be frustrating. But then it still can be fun to try to be the best of the worst. But bringing a knife to a gunfight (or LBX20s to PoLRM Highland), is no fun. Because the instant the loading screen comes up, you know that your only purpose is as entertainment for the LRM boats (unless you have a really great PUG). [Redacted]

So the map PoLRM Highlands is gone and the name is free. So we got a new map under this name.

Edited by Armchair General, 01 July 2021 - 01:01 PM.

#3 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

View PostCrunchback, on 29 June 2021 - 12:43 PM, said:

Good points why it is rightfully gone. I don't play this game to get annoyed or to rage. This game has little to do with war and that's good. My brother saw real war and it was no fun.

Yes, frustration can be a part of gaming. Sometimes I play poor and make bad decisions. Frustrating but at least it helps me improve. Poor pugs can be frustrating. But then it still can be fun to try to be the best of the worst. But bringing a knife to a gunfight (or LBX20s to PoLRM Highland), is no fun. Because the instant the loading screen comes up, you know that your only purpose is as entertainment for the LRM boats (unless you have a really great PUG). [Redacted]

So the map PoLRM Highlands is gone and the name is free. So we got a new map under this name.

[Redacted]
The old Polar Highlands has many, many options for movement under cover using the trenches & hills, you can 100% hide an entire teams movement on old Polar using those trenches & hills.
Have you heard of Radar Deprivation? I'll tell you a secret....It's in the skill tree & it works.
How about ECM? Even if you don't have it yourself, not a problem! Walk next to someone that does.
See that empty AMS slot(sometimes 2, 3 or 4). Bang one of those AMS thingamywotsits in it & who would have guessed, it shoots down them pesky missiles. & it gets better.. There are skill nodes for that too.
Ever thought of pressing the P key on yer old keyboard thing? That thing makes your mech shut down & BOOM!! or more like NO BOOM!! as it's an instant 'No Lock' for the dude that's shooting you. & yup, you guessed it, Skill nodes! Yay!...
Have I missed anything?
[Redacted]

Edited by Armchair General, 01 July 2021 - 01:04 PM.
Quote/Post Cleanup

#4 Daneel Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 July 2021 - 02:05 AM

Just out of curiosity what is used to create a map? Is it open source or is their an open source tool that is compatible with the Cry Engine version used? Is there a hard limit on how many maps their can be (other than client side space)?

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 July 2021 - 12:24 AM

View Postmultisoul, on 28 June 2021 - 11:12 AM, said:

you can say: "This map is on the same planet as Polar Highlands"
but you cannot say that is is the same map 'remade'
It has nothing in common except temperature maybe. Gameplay and positioning is different.
please rename the map into whatever you want
Domination, but with a much smaller circle would be freaky, to have to jump down to capture and to be sniped from above while capping
Posted Image

I am realy enjoying new Polar so far and did not enjoy old polar in QP.
The map could have had a place in scoutingFP or in an asymetrical scenario in FP.

But due to the way QP plays out in most of its cases the map was either too large, too imbalaced (loadouts made even more difference here than on other qp maps) and all in all too much dependant on good team work.
Leave it in for private lobby or for group queue if it returns but otherwise good ridance.

View PostDaneel Hazen, on 01 July 2021 - 02:05 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity what is used to create a map? Is it open source or is their an open source tool that is compatible with the Cry Engine version used? Is there a hard limit on how many maps their can be (other than client side space)?

The Cry engine map creator tool ...

When MWO came out we created some maps for fun over a beer or two in 3 or 4 evenings....the thing is getting it stuck free propped and cleaned takes forever

Edited by The Basilisk, 02 July 2021 - 12:28 AM.

#6 Crunchback

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:28 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 30 June 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

[Redacted]
The old Polar Highlands has many, many options for movement under cover using the trenches & hills, you can 100% hide an entire teams movement on old Polar using those trenches & hills.
Have you heard of Radar Deprivation? I'll tell you a secret....It's in the skill tree & it works.
How about ECM? Even if you don't have it yourself, not a problem! Walk next to someone that does.
See that empty AMS slot(sometimes 2, 3 or 4). Bang one of those AMS thingamywotsits in it & who would have guessed, it shoots down them pesky missiles. & it gets better.. There are skill nodes for that too.
Ever thought of pressing the P key on yer old keyboard thing? That thing makes your mech shut down & BOOM!! or more like NO BOOM!! as it's an instant 'No Lock' for the dude that's shooting you. & yup, you guessed it, Skill nodes! Yay!...
Have I missed anything?
[Redacted]

To copy your style: another secret: you can't change your mech after the map is pointed out. I already noted that my Kitfox does pretty well on the old PoLRM Higlands. It has four tons for AMS and ECM so it really shines there. But my LBX20 Marauder does not. It has no slots for ECM. Radar deprivation is hardly any help when you need to get close. Staying hidden in a trench or behind hills, means your useless. Note the PoLRM highland has little of such cover. Powering down when you approach means PCC bait.

My points stays: PoLRM Hihglands extremely favors certain builds and punishes the wrong builds, more so than other maps. So if you get this map in the wrong mech: get ready for a frustrating uphill battle.

#7 Divkrd

• PipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:16 AM

View PostCrunchback, on 04 July 2021 - 11:28 AM, said:

My points stays: PoLRM Hihglands extremely favors certain builds and punishes the wrong builds, more so than other maps. So if you get this map in the wrong mech: get ready for a frustrating uphill battle.

Can't agree with that, "PoLRM Hihglands" was punishing to bad players, not builds, i had pretty good games with my MPL Vulkan on this map, but you need decent team. That statement pretty much sums up this hole game, you can play whatever you want, but to be effective you need a decent team.

#8 Crunchback

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

View PostDivkrd, on 05 July 2021 - 02:16 AM, said:

Can't agree with that, "PoLRM Hihglands" was punishing to bad players, not builds, i had pretty good games with my MPL Vulkan on this map, but you need decent team. That statement pretty much sums up this hole game, you can play whatever you want, but to be effective you need a decent team.

Best team wins, period. If your stuck with a poor PUG, you won't win. But even here old PoLRM Highland was different. With a poor pug, when I played good I could still do some nice things. Not on poLRM Higlang.

#9 Daneel Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:26 PM

To copy your style: another secret: you can't change your mech after the map is pointed out. I already noted that my Kitfox does pretty well on the old PoLRM Higlands. It has four tons for AMS and ECM so it really shines there. But my LBX20 Marauder does not. It has no slots for ECM. Radar deprivation is hardly any help when you need to get close. Staying hidden in a trench or behind hills, means your useless. Note the PoLRM highland has little of such cover. Powering down when you approach means PCC bait.

Yeah but it's the same for everyone. Not every map needs to be optimal for certain builds. PoLRM highlands favored LRMs... I mean that's not bad. It's just opinion...

#10 Daneel Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:36 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 02 July 2021 - 12:24 AM, said:

When MWO came out we created some maps for fun over a beer or two in 3 or 4 evenings....the thing is getting it stuck free propped and cleaned takes forever

Well... it's been more than a few years. haha

#11 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:29 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 30 June 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Have I missed anything?

No, you are completely right but our fellow MWO players don't seem to understand those things... sadly... unfortunately... strangely enough... and so on... Posted Image

What you are actually saying :

You were in a horrible team and I feel your pain! :(

But...

You were probably also a bit too impatient and got shot down too early!

Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostDivkrd, on 05 July 2021 - 02:16 AM, said:

And sadly such a team seems to be very hard to find lately... :(

10 losses vs. 1 win or so seem to be very normal and when you finally get that win after soo many losses it feels like an underwhelming award! Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users