Posted 20 August 2021 - 01:41 PM

#2 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:10 PM

That is one impressive map adjusting. Going to be interesting. Posted Image

Edited by GuardDogg, 20 August 2021 - 02:25 PM.

#3 Shaitan Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:23 PM

Very excited for this map. And really happy to finally see some quirks

#4 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2021 - 03:28 PM

View PostShaitan Kerensky, on 20 August 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Very excited for this map. And really happy to finally see some quirks

A requirkening is in order!

#5 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 20 August 2021 - 03:56 PM

Is this a replacement or we keep both?

Honestly I never liked much HPG but it has plenty of lovers so if classic HPG goes away some people are going to be angry.

#6 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:21 PM

Looks great while i liked the old HPG some what i agree 100% with Sean on this change but i also very much enjoy the new polar

A map needs to work for all types of mechs equally..

#7 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:26 PM

I like the look of the quirks, extra survivability is always welcome (I'd prefer removal of Structure quirks in favour of adding Armour quirks across the board though), and the remake of HPG looks interesting, but...

...I'm worried about the long range opportunities here. Wall sniping is going to be far more attractive for all those enterprising Dires and Scats, which means fewer opportunities for short-midrange builds to perform. Those ramps also propose ease of access for all those jump jet deprived machines like stealth Thannies that can be so annoying with open sight lines. Hbr's too.

And lurms. Urgh.

I'm starting to worry that we're headed back to MW3 days with combat carried out by shooting blobs 6 pixels high from different gridsquares. It won't take much for short range builds to start looking at Gauss and Peeps and different flavoured LLs if the threat of dropping on long range maps is hanging over them, which isn't helped by longer range builds being more versatile in general.

All those extreme range builds for CW are starting to look more appealing for the PUG queues.

I'll hold out judgement until the map drops, but i'm worried that it will be a race to the walls and then a race to the basement for the loser of that first positioning battle.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:33 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 20 August 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

...I'm worried about the long range opportunities here. Wall sniping is going to be far more attractive for all those enterprising Dires and Scats, which means fewer opportunities for short-midrange builds to perform. Those ramps also propose ease of access for all those jump jet deprived machines like stealth Thannies that can be so annoying with open sight lines. Hbr's too.

And lurms. Urgh.

I'm starting to worry that we're headed back to MW3 days with combat carried out by shooting blobs 6 pixels high from different gridsquares. It won't take much for short range builds to start looking at Gauss and Peeps and different flavoured LLs if the threat of dropping on long range maps is hanging over them, which isn't helped by longer range builds being more versatile in general.

All those extreme range builds for CW are starting to look more appealing for the PUG queues.

I'll hold out judgement until the map drops, but i'm worried that it will be a race to the walls and then a race to the basement for the loser of that first positioning battle.

If you've been watching the weapon and map changes the past few months, it's clear that it's their conscious and deliberate design objective to push the game towards more long range fighting.

#9 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:06 PM

I like the DWF leg options.

Probably pretty minor on a DWF all things considered, but I will gladly shell out C-Bills for extra leg omnipods to gain reverse speed or jump jet improvement.

3% in reverse is almost 1 kph. :P

Can't wait to see some clan booties to reduce overheat damage.

#10 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:30 PM

View PostFupDup, on 20 August 2021 - 06:33 PM, said:

If you've been watching the weapon and map changes the past few months, it's clear that it's their conscious and deliberate design objective to push the game towards more long range fighting.

where did the red laser buff fit into that lol

long range is strong right now at long range. get close with red lasers or SRMs or big ballistics and see how well they work

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:51 PM

I gotta say, I agree with Phil on the concept of the HPG map design. Minimizing nascar and increasing tactical options is excellent!

And as a player whose favorite mechs are the Centurion AL and D… holy mother monkey! Life just got fun!

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 20 August 2021 - 07:52 PM.

#12 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:41 PM

Second good map is changed. Anti-NASCAR measures, I guess. I can even say, that it's top 3 good map, while recently "fixed" Canyon was top 1. Yeah, changes won't make it bad. But all maps will be the same generic maps pretty soon. And devs definitely don't understand, that "central structures" are good for brawling, because they allow players to get closer to brawl range without being sniped/lurmed till death. It wouldn't be so bad, if PGI would keep old maps as Classic variants. Yeah, some maps need changes. Some bad ones, that aren't voted for. Therma, "New" Caustic (Classic one was better), etc. But NOT GOOD ONES!

And... Buffing underperforming old IS Assaults is good idea. But buffing OP enough Lights and Mediums? Terrible mistake. I understand, that devs' goal - is to sell more 'Mechs. But Lights aren't popular not because they're weak. They're not popular, because they're ugly and boring. They lack weaponary diversity. Why do they need all that variants, if all they can fit - small lasers? We have MechLab in this game for reasons. Because engineering - is essential part of it. Buffing their power beyond OP level to balance their "popularity" - is terrible design decision. Because it will make them unbearable for other players.

Edited by MrMadguy, 20 August 2021 - 10:35 PM.

#13 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:09 PM

They did what i knew they would do. They basically turned it into canyon network. Im sure people will be happy as everyone picks canyon over and over again but im sick of it.

Quirks look fine some op stuff in there. Meta is going to change with this but doesn't' really matter always does.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 20 August 2021 - 10:10 PM.

#14 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:30 PM

The patch looks great save for two things….

The changing of HPG could easily result in the elimination of one of the only brawl possible maps in quick play…… seems very open and will favor a more trading and “Hold down the S key” play style which isn’t good for quick play over all. We will just have to see how it plays I guess.

The second thing. WHY IS THE ARCTIC WOLF 1 GETTING A DURABILITY BUFF! ITS SO FREAKING BUSTED ALREADY! They made exclusions for the top dog and such in the thunder bolt chassis just do the same thing for the Arctic Wolf 1. It takes an IS 70 tonner to boat the same weapon systems and it’s like 40kph slower, it’s just busted!

That is all. Thank you.

#15 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:14 AM

Keep old canyon, polar, hpg too.

I am sick of new canyon. I want to play other maps but you all select canyon. And most time you nascar right and die.
I dont play MWO to run canyon all time.

Then dont nascar, you say. Hahaha, stay behind alone its mean death on this "good" map. There is no place to hide.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 21 August 2021 - 12:21 AM.

#16 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 August 2021 - 02:20 AM

the changes to HPG i will have to wait and see before i pass judgement. honestly anything that brings diversity to builds is good in my opinion. with the changes to some of the maps bringing a mixed build seems more useful (say mostly short range with a LL or some other longer range weapon so you have something to use when the brawl doesn't work). to many people concentrate on huge short range alphas and neglect their longer range capability meaning that they take more damage before they are even able to fire a shot. (i personally prefer a mid range set up myself)

as for the Quirks i don't know i would rather have seen more Lore based ones instead of just shifting to generic stuff. make each chassis feel a bit more unique (tossing in some oddball stuff that few mechs have like the PPC HSL stuff.). almost none of the mechs i tend to play got any love though. out of all the mechs i own (i have been playing for 4 years so i have quite a few) only i think 4 got any changes. then again i don't play light mechs other than the Urbie so there is that. the biggest one though was the changes to the Centurion that was much needed. i will also have to look at my Heavy Metal and see if its worth changing a few things on the build.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 21 August 2021 - 06:18 AM.

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:15 AM

Shifting to generic quirks adds build diversity, which will aid in populating the game with currently underused mechs.

#18 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:59 AM

are any of you complaining about NASCAR forgetting what old Canyon was like

Both teams move to the middle and do up to seven full rotations around the center lol

#19 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:16 AM

I still think Caustic Valley should take priority for reworks, since when it comes to nascar it seems like it's the most favorable in QP. I'd say keep old HPG manifold but focus on the maps that need reworks badly imho.

#20 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:17 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 21 August 2021 - 10:16 AM, said:

I still think Caustic Valley should take priority for reworks, since when it comes to nascar it seems like it's the most favorable in QP. I'd say keep old HPG manifold but focus on the maps that need reworks badly imho.

caustic is next on the list I believe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users