#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

Ready Player One

I'm going to be upfront on this one. I had my doubts about the movie, but to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it.

Wade Watts is a down on his luck, bottom of the rung gamer in a society that has turned to visual- alternate reality gaming as an escape. The creator of the game called OASIS left an Easter egg, and this small time gamer finds one of the keys. He is hurled into a world with real life consequences, as a tyrannical corporation desires to win at any cost.

Some foul language, violence, some sexuality.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:43 AM

You know that saying "the book was better?" That sums up the entire movie. I can see liking it if you've never read the book, and I can see where they used so much intellectual property in the book that they'd never get it all onto the screen in a movie... but they changed EVERYTHING.

And its not just substitutions like a Gundam instead of Ultraman. (Not even Steven freaking Speilberg can license Ultraman!) They changed who saved who, who met whom, when and how they met, and what actions had to be taken against whom in the film. They changed the nature of the characters, the plot, most of the scenes, and a lot of the meaning behind things. Only the corporate greed remained the same.

So yeah... fun film... but a hideously bad adaptation of the book. I'm left wondering if the script writers even READ the book.

I mean... I went into that film thinking "oh god, I'm going to see the hero play a game of Joust against a Demilich in the Tomb of Horrors!" Only they didn't film that, as the plot veered off into la-la land long before that very first quest scene from the book and they dropped the whole thing. Yuck.

#3 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:47 AM

You are correct, I have not read the book. Heck, I don't know where I would put it. So many books....

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:13 PM

another bit of teen dystopian fiction. meh. but it was better than i expected, though i didn't expect much.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 July 2021 - 01:14 PM.

#5 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:09 AM

Didn't watched it fully. Maybe I'll read the book.

Yet, there are two good things.

1. This scene:

Posted Image

The references to at least the Firefly, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Homeworld are visible.

2. Soundtrack. There are some memorable tracks, for me it's Everybody Wants To Rule The World, made by Tears For Fears.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users