Veigle Remembrance Thread - Please Follow Forum Rules!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:51 PM

First off, let us be very clear: all posts in this thread must follow The Forum Rules for this thread to remain open. [Redacted] This thread IS NOT for speculating about the fairness of Veigle's fate or for calling for any actions pertaining to his fate (including hashtags), should he still be alive, which may or may not be the case. Such inquiries may lead to forum posters inadvertently running afoul of The Rules. Neither is it permitted to mock or direct any sarcasm at The Rules or those charged with enforcing The Rules, as there is a high likelihood such commentary may be interpreted as not being sufficiently deferential to The Rules.

Alright, now that that is out of the way, I will state what this thread is for: remembering and recounting the life and times of a very long-time and valued community member and MWO veteran. Please share any funny anecdotes pertaining to Veigle you may have, or any funny or notable matches you have participated in with him. Please try to ensure your stories are as unembellished and as close to actual events as possible.

I will start us off with a match I played with Veigle a few months ago. The map was Solaris City and the mode was Assault. Blue team decided to go left, holding position at E4 both on the ground and on the elevated ramps anticipating a likely nascar from the red team. I, in my Flea, with a small wolfpack consisting of a Wolfhound and Piranha, flanked around through the leftmost corridor and waited, relaying coordinates of incoming opfor, but holding fire until the engagement with our main force began so as not to give opfor suspicion that we were holding the left side.

Once the battle had begun, we repositioned to opfor's rear and began chewing away rear armor. I designated Dire Wolf Bravo as primary for our wolfpack, and inevitably, Bravo was forced to choose between presenting his rear to our main force or be assassinated by our wolfpack. He turned to give us his front and the wolf pack scattered. Seconds later our main force had disposed of Bravo.

The wolfpack reconstituted after Bravo went down, and I called Charlie Fafnir as primary. Not learning from his teammate, the faffy followed suit, turning to face us, presenting his back to our main force, and was summarily disposed of.

It was at that moment I began taking blue laser fire from my left, turning one of my legs a frightening shade of orange, and I spun to see a familiar Cicada engaging us in defense of his team that was being backstabbed.

"Come chase me! I'm an easy catch!" the familiar taunt came, trying to draw the wolfpack away from his team.

Though the taunt came via text in All-Talk, I could almost hear the words in Veigle's kindly, grandfatherly voice. No one knew quite how old Veigle was, only that he was old. Very old. Most estimates placed him somewhere between 45 and 107, with those who knew him personally putting him closer to the upper end of the range.

In any case, our wolfpack was forced to divert from our attack on opfor's assaults, and we gave chase, knowing the three of us would be able to both outrun and outgun what was about to be a very dead Veigle so that we could return as quickly as possible to provide a secondary line of fire against opfor's main line.

What we had not counted on were the two Piranhas waiting for us around the corner where Veigle had run. "Legs on Fox Piranha," I called over comms as we switched targets. The right leg on the first Piranha evaporated, but a fraction of a second after we finished it's second leg, our own Piranha's cored CT exploded.

Veigle had turned to provided cover fire for his lights. My Wolfhound teammate and myself legged the second Piranha when I made the call to leave it neutered and resume pursuit of Veigle. Our main force had held the line against the pushing reds, judging by casualties inflicted, and the snowball was in full effect.

As Veigle turned to flee, he got off one more alpha against our wolfie, legging him, leaving me alone to pursue the legend that was Veigle.

By this time he had put some distance on me, but I hit my MASC and took off after him, heedless of the danger presented by the God-Cicada.

Gradually I gained on him. Trying to get a clear shot at his cored leg as I juked and jived between his long-duration ER-LL's, though he angled his fresh leg in front of him, preventing a clear shot. I switched to his orange CT. He broke and ran. After a few alphas at his retreating rump, I was able to get a clean shot at his cored leg just as he had pulled in front of the strip club. As he turned his cherry red CT to face me so I could issue a merciful coup-de-grâce, he ejected from the brutalized, smoking cicada and ran through the front door of the strip club.

"He's in the strip club!" I reported over comms. My ten surviving teammates (it had been a stomp because MM and a 4-man in meta builds) showed up quickly to assist.

I popped the window on my flea and hopped down to the pavement to scout. The first thing I heard as I approached the door was an ancient gravelly voice: "Evening ladies!"

Not wanting to be spotted, I peered carefully through the window to see Veigle being absolutely mobbed by the women employed by the establishment. And these were not ordinary strippers; they must have been the most beautiful strippers I had ever seen... and the could not keep their hands off of the old man. In fact, they were taking their own tips and shoving them down his pants and stuffing them into the folds of his floppy jowls.

"Are you really the famous Cicada pilot?" one busty blonde gushed. He answered her with a knowing wink, as his earlobes, which hung nearly down to his shoulders, wafted gently in the air-conditioning that sought to cool the muggy Solaris City night.

An athletic brunette shoved her out of the way, running her fingers down his chest, "But how are you able to aim your lasers so accurately with your cataracts?" she squinted at his cloudy eyes beneath massive shaggy grey eyebrows."

"If you train every waking hour of your life with the blast shield down, you'll know the answer, sweetheart," the wise old sage replied. "The power of sight is insignificant compared to the power of The Force."

It was then that I cleared my throat loudly at the door, my teammates crowding behind me in the doorway. I raised my voice above the thumping bass, which had the girls competing to gyrate against the Veigle. "Hey, uh Veigs... looks like you guys are having fun in here. Mind if, uh, the blue team joins you?"

Viegle eyed us from within his harem disdainfully. "Which team are you?"

"Uh, we're the red team,' I replied, chagrinned.

His icy stare remained, but then a kindly smile spread across the old man' s face. "C'mon in fellas! There's enough beer and girls for everyone!"

With a mighty cheer, we broke through the velvet rope and descended on the dance floor. With assurances from Veigle that the girls would all get a chance to dance with him at some point in the night, the strippers joined us as the music began to pulse and the beer began to flow: the party had begun.

Noted streamers Chaotic Harmony, IL Orso, TTB, Baradul, A S H, and our favorite salty Brit Pseudo98 took turns manning the turntables in the DJ booth.

Our valued EmP and JGx comrades huddled in one corner to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the women's chassis, and began strategizing optimal pick-up lines of attack, before several of the shorter among them moved efficiently to take advantage of terrain features that they might more effectively claim a height of 6ft tall.

Navid, Dario, and several other Cauldron members had broken out TI-83 calculators to run calculations, assessing the optimal balance and location of the installed stripper poles and debated the optimal locations for additions, duly recording their findings to be forwarded to PGI for implementation in next month's patch.

A couple lower tier players weren't sure whether to aim their cash at the strippers' torsos or in the garter belts at their legs. A few helpful comp and tier 1 players helped them out with the correct protocol, identifying torsos as optimal for the thiccer girls and legs for the more petite ones.

Good times were had by all, from the scrubbiest potato to the try-hardiest comper and everyone in between, and everyone realized the camaraderie experienced on this night was the true meaning behind playing MechWarrior Online.

After several hours and a significant amount of alcohol later, the festivities were interrupted by a booming disembodied female voice: "Base is being captured."

The turntables screeched and the music stopped abruptly. "Wait a second, where's Veigle?" someone slurred. Everyone began looking for the ancient wrinkley curmudgeon, but he had disappeared.

We ran outside to where we had parked our mechs. They had all been legged! Save one, which had gone missing: a Spider 5-V.

"He's capping!" I roared. We hastily climbed into our mechs, strapped in, and limped towards out base as quickly as we could. A K9 Urbie was running his sirens and claiming we would all be under arrest for piloting while under the influence, despite the fact that everyone knows Urbie pilots are the biggest drunks of them all.

We arrived back at our base at the very moment the cap was completed--we had lost the match.

Veigle stood there atop his stolen Spider with a twinkle in his cloudy eyes, his magnificent earlobes blowing the the wind. "How many times have I told you guys not to chase the squirrel?"

Edited by GM Patience, 30 July 2021 - 07:20 AM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:22 PM

He fought with words instead of with his guns, and shall be missed for it.

#3 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:28 PM

Before I retired my Jester, pretty sure Veigle and I had the absolute most played matches in a single mech (him Cicada, me Jester) of the entire playerbase [at the time].

*Vyx Marauder stomps in*

Tho more recently, how many times have I chased that Cicada down with my Black Lanner only to be lambasted by having run into the entire enemy team while laser focused on the bug... Arg. Clever bug. Clever. How many times have I been shot in the back, only to actually smile in knowing who it was who snuck around behind.

Good times, Veilge, good times. [sp intentional (inside joke)]

Edit: Added name for clarity.

Edited by Flyby215, 30 July 2021 - 05:13 AM.

#4 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:37 PM

He has been saying "evening ladies" since beta

I always say "Hi sexy".... always good for a laugh.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 30 July 2021 - 05:13 AM

I always thought he was riffing on Milton Berle's famous opening line "Good evening ladies and germs!"

#6 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:55 PM

Well, that didn't age too well. People don't seem to be interested in memorable stories, be they fictional or not.
Thread closed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users