23 replies to this topic

#1 Raon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

What do ppl suggest for a 80-90 ton assault mech?

I find that most the 100 ton mechs are too slow. I don't have the aim to play an assault sniper. I love my brawler Atlas. But the matches are mostly over by the time I get close to brawling range...That's assuming there is no nascar. I'm looking for something with a bit more mobility. But similar amounts of armor & firepower. Maybe mid range skirmisher? A narrower front profile with, balanced weapon mounts would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:57 PM

Marauder IIC can typically mount a decently sized engine with a respectable weapons loadout. It doesn't have great amount of armour but it has good hitboxes.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:43 AM

You're essentially looking for a Cyclops (which also, handily, has the twist and turn rates more along the lines of a 60 ton mech). Other alternatives are Mad IIC, Victor and Warhawk

#4 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:56 AM

Yep, Cyclops comes to mind. What about Mr. Gargles? It is an OmniMech but has not much tonnage to play with for ballistics and stuff. Yet you can make it a nice SRM brawler or even a small laser boat. And you are fast as a medium.

#5 Raon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:40 PM

View PostHorseman, on 09 August 2021 - 12:43 AM, said:

You're essentially looking for a Cyclops (which also, handily, has the twist and turn rates more along the lines of a 60 ton mech). Other alternatives are Mad IIC, Victor and Warhawk

I was looking at a Cyclops. It basically looks like its an atlas with 10tons of bulk removed.

I was also looking at the Warhammer 2C, & the Mad Cat 2C. But the Mad Cat looks like it would have a hit box issue, similar to my Stalker & Timbers. I do like the look of the Warhammer 2C.

View Postlatinisator, on 09 August 2021 - 09:56 AM, said:

Yep, Cyclops comes to mind. What about Mr. Gargles? It is an OmniMech but has not much tonnage to play with for ballistics and stuff. Yet you can make it a nice SRM brawler or even a small laser boat. And you are fast as a medium.

But you guys have sold me on the Cyclops!

I can always pick up a Warhammer 2C, or the Mad Cat 2C further down the line.

Thanks for the info!!

#6 Ludo22

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:52 PM

I like the Blood Asp. The omni-pods mean that you can build almost whatever you want. It has a decent enough speed at 64 KPH so you can keep up with the team when you need to. The high shoulder mounts allow for some great peaking. The biggest complaint I have with it is the you can't swap out the engine and you're stuck with an XL.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:55 PM

View PostLudo22, on 09 August 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

I like the Blood Asp. The omni-pods mean that you can build almost whatever you want. It has a decent enough speed at 64 KPH so you can keep up with the team when you need to. The high shoulder mounts allow for some great peaking. The biggest complaint I have with it is the you can't swap out the engine and you're stuck with an XL.

Well, you wouldn't want to use a STD engine on a clan mech, now, would you?

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 02:28 AM

The cyclops q is possible your best bet. Charger and Viktor are also good options. And some Banshee builds can get quite fast (and the Atlas himself can at least get in the 60 ist range).

#9 Raon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 03:49 AM

View PostLudo22, on 09 August 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

I have the B variant. Its pretty nasty in 2-300m range. So far its working out fairly well with "almost" stock loadout. (MPL x4, UAC 20, LRM 15 +Atriums x2, Active Probe, ECM & MK3 Target comp)

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 10 August 2021 - 02:28 AM, said:

The cyclops q is possible your best bet. Charger and Viktor are also good options. And some Banshee builds can get quite fast (and the Atlas himself can at least get in the 60 ist range).

The Cyclops Q is giving me Atlas DDC vibes. I have a couple of victors. But I can never settle on a decant loadout, that I'm happy with. I'll Look in to the Banshee more later. But some of the weapon mounting points are a bit odd imo.

#10 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 04:58 AM

https://mech.nav-alp...47c817d0_VTR-9S
Is the obvious way
Or https://mech.nav-alp...5b65e5_VTR-9A1L for a bit more distance

#11 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:48 AM

i like the Cyclops-11-P myself i run it with (1 LB/10 (3t ammo), 1 MRM-40 (2 1/2t ammo), 4 MLs, AMS (1t ammo) running an LE 350 with 4 DHS, and Endo (-14 pts armor each leg.)

works rather well for me. Highlanders also have good mobility but their hit boxes can a bit iffy.

though the hit boxes aren't very good the Zeus has some good mobility and isn't used that often so you can surprise folks. current build i have on it is a bit of experiment ZEU-9S2 (1 MRM-40 (3 1/2t ammo), 2 ER PPCs, AMS (1t ammo) running an LE 325 with 6 DHS, Endo full - 46pts Left arm.)

Battlemaster has some good speed though it lacks a bit in armor and firepower for an assault. my BLR-1G runs a rather unimaginative 3 ER LL, 4 ML build with an AMS and a half ton of ammo.

can't give you much on Clanner mechs since i don't use them much, i'm an IS loyalist so nearly all of my clan mechs are from fee events. (i do run the MCII-B now and again (2 UAC/10(4t ammo), 2 UAC/2 (2t ammo), 2 ER MLs, AMS (1t ammo) running an XL 365 6 DHS, Endo, FF (-1pt armor each leg.), it does alright.)

(i tend towards heavy mechs myself most of the time. i find they tend to have a good balance of mobility, firepower, and armor)

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 August 2021 - 07:48 AM

Within the specified Range are a number of quite good...but not great mechs.

My top 5 from best to weakest:

- Marauder IIC A with 3UAC5; 4ERMLas; XL350; add HS, AMS, Tcomp for your conveniance.
- Charger Lucky Number 7; 5ERMLaser 2LPLs; 325LFE rest as you like
- KinWolf (Gargoyle): 3ERMLas, 2LPLs, 10ERMicro,
- Cyclops Sleipneir, QuadLightGauss, LFE280
- Battlemaster Hellslinger: 3MRM20 2LLas1ERMLas; XL330(doesnt realy matter with battlemaster)

#13 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 August 2021 - 02:23 PM

i never calculate hero mechs in because not everyone has the MC to get them

#14 Raon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 07:06 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 10 August 2021 - 05:48 AM, said:

i like the Cyclops-11-P myself i run it with (1 LB/10 (3t ammo), 1 MRM-40 (2 1/2t ammo), 4 MLs, AMS (1t ammo) running an LE 350 with 4 DHS, and Endo (-14 pts armor each leg.)

works rather well for me. Highlanders also have good mobility but their hit boxes can a bit iffy.

I'll have to try this loadout. Its similar to my Atlas, & Blood Asp builds. Basically hit the enemy as soon as I see/target you, & add in more firepower the closer you get.

I had a few Highlanders & noticed the hitbox issue as well...I only have the hero version now.

#15 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 August 2021 - 01:10 AM

I'd suggest using a UAC20 in place of that LB10 and lasers and mounting an ECM. Something along these lines: https://mech.nav-alp...ee5fade_CP-11-P

#16 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 04:36 AM

View PostHorseman, on 12 August 2021 - 01:10 AM, said:

I'd suggest using a UAC20 in place of that LB10 and lasers and mounting an ECM. Something along these lines: https://mech.nav-alp...ee5fade_CP-11-P

Tune down engine and reposition some armor to get some mediumlasers. I think mine got mrm 30 uc20 4 meds and lfe 350

#17 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:07 AM

Some Assaults are not going to work due to size, Highlander and Zeus are almost Atlas size for example. Highlanders are also not much faster than some 100 tonners.

You did not give a speed cap defining how fast minimum you want to go.

Zeus
Despite size you can make it work so long as you go for a mid-range punch, never get into Brawl range unless forced or end of match your team is winning and think you are a slightly heavier Heavy Mech. Good mobility for that and if you like Striking type play where you pop out, shoot, duck and relocate to another shooting spot and good for watching your own team's flanks if several of your team are focused in one direction.
You also have to choose between a build with all weapons on one side or a mix across the Mech typically using MRMs in the Missile slot. A couple variants still have most weapons on the Left Side.
Do not ever be the lead charging Mech even if your team says to, they do not realize there are some Heavy Mechs that lead charges better than a Zeus. If your team charges, you are better in backup on flank of lead unit.

6T - 3MRM20 + 4ML or 4ERML allow a good LFE engine for speed.
9S - 3LPL + 3ERML again with a good LFE for speed but Left Side focused
9S2 - some of it is like the 6T. However just to have a different build, I did mine with 3ASRM6 + 2SnPPC partly because of all the Zeus 9S2 has the best defense quirks for short range and good Missile cooldown. Literally is hysterical, I pick the right time to charge in using SRMs as main gun with Snub backup, ironically has done OK.
6S - I would not recommend this due to messed up quirks.
5S - don't have one so cannot comment.

Marauder IIC I only have a D with 2LBX20, ERPPC + ERML almost reaching 70kph but my Mad Cat II-B 4UAC5 + 2ERML actually moves slightly faster.

Without a speed number for clarity, I cannot give more as Assault is my smallest Mech amount. I focused on Mediums followed by Lights, only recently have I beefed up Heavy (tied with Lights now) and Assault yet Assault is still the smallest.

#18 Raon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:22 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 12 August 2021 - 05:07 AM, said:

Without a speed number for clarity, I cannot give more as Assault is my smallest Mech amount. I focused on Mediums followed by Lights, only recently have I beefed up Heavy (tied with Lights now) and Assault yet Assault is still the smallest.

Sorry about that. I was hoping for 60-65kph-ish as a base speed. This way I can keep up with the average med/heavy. Its become harder to balance speed/maneuverability, armor & firepower in an assault mech. Specially with the ungodly amount of weapons you can pack in to some of the lighter mechs now.

Edited by Raon, 12 August 2021 - 08:26 PM.

#19 Raon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:47 PM

View PostHorseman, on 12 August 2021 - 01:10 AM, said:

I might try something similar.

Oh on a side note. Are the IS UAC's worth the tonnage to run now? I remember there rate of fire to jam rate use to be really bad. The only viable option was chaining 3-4x UAC 5's or 3-4x UAC 2's to avoid jamming.

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 August 2021 - 11:43 PM

View PostRaon, on 12 August 2021 - 08:47 PM, said:

Oh on a side note. Are the IS UAC's worth the tonnage to run now? I remember there rate of fire to jam rate use to be really bad. The only viable option was chaining 3-4x UAC 5's or 3-4x UAC 2's to avoid jamming.
10s and 20s are meant for burst fire more than sustained fire, and the DPS for tonnage is pretty good even when you factor in the jams. The idea here is to hit like a ton of bricks and ensure that your target is either destroyed or forced to disengage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users