Help Me Help A Friend

8 replies to this topic

#1 Gryphon Space

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:38 PM

What are some good new player friendly medium and heavy brawlers, preferably not to many weapon groups, 3 at most and a budget of 18 million

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 08 August 2021 - 04:52 AM

Hello there, Gryphon Space... I do not know how many of these which you wish to acquire, but I can unfortunately note that you're going to need many more (C-Bills) than you currently have. Getting almost any of the many options usually comes with a need to use the MechLab to reconfigure the Loadout within, and that's simply not cheap. You're going to need to rack up a lot more (C-Bills) in order to do it right. :(

Also, it appears that you've started this thread in the Off-Topic area, and that is rather confusing to other people. The only thing making this less confusing to me is that you appear to be really new here. Threads of the kind which you have started actually belong elsewhere in the Forums because they're On-Topic for discussion in either MWO or one of the games which are related. I suppose that I had better go contact a Moderator to help you here. :wacko:

~D. V. "just trying to help Gryphon Space with getting going on some reasonable Mech-making track" Devnull

#3 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:26 PM

As a reminder, mechs in the store, without purchasing anything, be fixed up in the Mechlab and taking to the testing grounds. And if possible, wait for mech sales to make most purchases when feasible Posted Image

You may also ask the Mods to move this to the new player subforum.
  • Any Technology Preference, Clan or IS, to become equipped for Faction Play or is that down the road?
  • 18m is barely enough to get two medium mechs. The low prices on most IS mediums is due to being equipped with 3025 tech, ie no LFE engines, no ERML, no Double HS, etc
  • Some IS mechs can be ran with stock STD engines but they will be slower and/or equip fewer components.
  • As a reminder - mechs equipped w/isXL engines are instant detail with the lost of 1st side torso

• Huntsman -P with the current equipment UAC 10, 2erML and 4SRMs
  • Hunchback 4-P
  • Of the IS Trial mechs, I would prefer the Warhammer and the Grasshopper and the Crab - again lot depends on what he likes. If I use any missiles it would be MM, SRMs with other primary weapons but no LRMs not ATMs (preferences)
  • Of the Clan Trial mechs, which will allow him to use in play, Hellbringer, Shadowcat/Adder, the Orion IIC in a pinch. PGI screwed up the Trial Stormcrow by adding LRMs to it while removing lasers Posted Image

Edited by Half Ear, 08 August 2021 - 05:27 PM.

#4 stripped

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGermania superior

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:47 PM

I think that the "3 at most" means 3 weapon groups, not 3 Mechs, Devnull.

Hunchback IIC-A (2 LPL, 4 ERML)

https://mech.nav-alp...3a5be_HBK-IIC-A

A`5D4:m0|me|l^|lB|lBp]0|0C|lB|OG|l^|l^|l^q]0|0C|lB|OG|l^|l^|l^r70s70t`0|l^u`0|l^vB0w303030

Should sit at around 15 million C-Bills.

Huntsman Prime (2 LPL, 4 ERML)

https://mech.nav-alp...091e3_HMN-PRIME

A97D<:b0pT0dO7|l<2|l^|0S|l^qT0bO7|EC|0C|0CrP0aO7|lB|lB|l^sP0eO7|lB|lB|l^|l^t`0fO7u`0gO7vB0`O7w>0<0<0

Costs around 11 million.

For the Hunchie and the Huntsman: the LPLs are one group, the ERML are the other. Feel free to replace the ERMLs with SPLs.

Stormcrow-D (1 ERML, 5 SSRM6)

https://mech.nav-alp...#93d92115_SCR-D

Ai2D<:51pa0lF7|BC|ZR|ZR|ZRqa0jF7|BC|BC|ZR|ZRrT0iF7|BC|ZRsT0mF7|BC|ZRta0nF7ua0oF7vB0XF7|lBw303030

Costs about 13.2 million.

Alternative without Streaks: Splatcrow

https://mech.nav-alp...#73854387_SCR-D

Ai2D<0k0p^0lF7|<C|XR|XR|XR|l^q^0jF7|<C|<C|XR|XR|XR|lRrT0iF7|<C|l^|l^sT0mF7|<C|l^|l^tb0nF7ub0oF7vB0XF7|mBw;06060

Costs about 12.6 million.

For both builds: The missiles are one group – watch the ghost heat, the laser is the other. For the SSRM variant you might want to replace the laser with a TAG. The missiles are also a third group in chain-fire mode.

Archer 2R (3 LPL, 3 ERML, 2 Rocket Launcher 20 – single shots)

https://mech.nav-alp...fc05f2ff_ARC-2R

A86:2:D1|Xg|i^|i^|F@|F@ph0|i^|^@qh0|i^|^@r\0|b?|F@s\0|b?|b?tl0ul0|[<2vB0w404040

Should be around 15 million C-Bills.

Right arm (2 LPL) is one group, the left arm and the CT-mounted ERML are another and the rockets are a third (single shot).

Night Gyr (4 LPL, 1 MPL)

https://mech.nav-alp...e1679_NTG-PRIME

Aj6D<:81|l^p\04O7|0C|g<2q\02O7|l^|0C|n<2r`01O7|l^|l^|0C|0Cs`05O7|l^|l^|l^|l^to06O7uo07O7vB00O7|oBwD0D0D0

Costs about 15.6 million.

The left arm is the first firing group, the torso mounted lasers are the other. With cooling quirks and all, you can fire an alpha strike and get 80% of the heat scale.

Consider the Archer and the Night Gyr as „snipers“ at first. If you learn to ride the red line (heat), you can brawl in them, too. Make sure to equip a cool shot.

Else: the Centurion (CN9-A: 1 AC/10 + 3 SRM2 + 2 ML or CN9-AH: AC/20 + 3 SRM2) with a maximum engine rating make for fine brawlers, too.

#5 Gryphon Space

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:16 PM

3 at most indeed was weapon groups and this is for a friend not myself. I'm rather season in the game but he didn't know what he wanted so I thought the forums could help.

Edited by Gryphon Space, 08 August 2021 - 10:18 PM.

#6 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:46 PM

This thread seems to have been started in the wrong forum section, so I've moved it to New Player Help, BattleMechs.

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:28 PM

A Bushwhacker with 2UAC10, 2AC10+LPPC or 2LB10+SNPPC is a really solid beginner friendly mech. You can try all of those variations on the same chassis and even plug in a 3RAC2 for whenever you just want to stare at enemies and farm damage.

Edited by Gagis, 08 August 2021 - 11:28 PM.

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:04 AM

View Poststripped, on 08 August 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

I think that the "3 at most" means 3 weapon groups, not 3 Mechs, Devnull.

View PostGryphon Space, on 08 August 2021 - 10:16 PM, said:

3 at most indeed was weapon groups and this is for a friend not myself. I'm rather season in the game but he didn't know what he wanted so I thought the forums could help.

Hi there, you two. I am fully aware it meant only three weapon groups, and not three Mechs picked, so please don't worry on my account. The only thing which I was seriously pointing at, and stripped made very apparent, is the fact that reconfiguration is costly to no end, and that more (C-Bills) would be necessary to get enough Mechs to work with and properly build. Also, sorry that I failed to keep in mind from the thread's title that this is for 'Gryphon Space's friend. At the time that I posted, something was going on where I am, and sleep was beyond my reach even though I needed some. :(

~D. V. "you have my apologies for being confusing about Mech acquisition when I was trying to be helpful and clear" Devnull

[Single Edit by the Post Author for a minor error detected only after posting... Oops!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 09 August 2021 - 12:05 AM.

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:39 AM

Arctic Wolf ACW-1, Bushwacker P1, Orion VA, Orion IIC A, Linebacker, Roughneck 2A, Dervish, Huntsman. Nova S is a fun one, you can build it with a giant array of lasers and triple AMS (which is rather useful in low tiers). Vapor Eagle A is heavy mech firepower on a medium sized chassis, quite fun.

Edited by Horseman, 09 August 2021 - 12:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users