What Are The Hot Builds Nowadays?

24 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:41 AM

I've been away from this game for a long time, like maybe a less than 10 matches in the past couple years until very recently when I started playing again. With the new quirks and weapon passes, how have the mech builds changed and what are the popular choices now? Feel free to send smurfy mechlab links.

#2 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

View PostMadHornet, on 18 August 2021 - 11:41 AM, said:

I've been away from this game for a long time, like maybe a less than 10 matches in the past couple years until very recently when I started playing again. With the new quirks and weapon passes, how have the mech builds changed and what are the popular choices now? Feel free to send smurfy mechlab links.

what mechs do you have lying around? lots of older mechs are viable again and there are some unusual builds which can do work. You can, for instance, do an old-school FS9-A with 8 SPL, or you can do something like this and be effective at mid- and short-range: https://mech.nav-alp...#7803cd7e_FS9-A

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

Hey, a warm welcome back to MWO!

Please help by indicating your preference(s), so that we can reply you in greater detail!
~Do you prefer Assault / Heavy / Medium / Light ?
~Do you prefer Laser / Ballistic / Missiles ?
~Do you prefer IS / Clan, or are you indifferent ?
~Presume you play QP (Quick Play) ?

The Warden Booster Pack mechs are quite good; MWO did really hit this out of the ball park!
https://mwomercs.com/store

Or if you prefer free-to-play for now, Timber Wolf TBR-Prime is quite good, as well as Dire Wolf DWF-Prime.
The former is good with laser/missiles, and the latter is good at dakka (ballistic) especially!

Or if this is not your cup of tea, please do indicate your preferences!

Oh, and do have fun in MWO!

#4 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:18 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 18 August 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

what mechs do you have lying around? lots of older mechs are viable again and there are some unusual builds which can do work. You can, for instance, do an old-school FS9-A with 8 SPL, or you can do something like this and be effective at mid- and short-range: https://mech.nav-alp...#7803cd7e_FS9-A

View Postw0qj, on 18 August 2021 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hey, a warm welcome back to MWO!

Please help by indicating your preference(s), so that we can reply you in greater detail!
~Do you prefer Assault / Heavy / Medium / Light ?
~Do you prefer Laser / Ballistic / Missiles ?
~Do you prefer IS / Clan, or are you indifferent ?
~Presume you play QP (Quick Play) ?

The Warden Booster Pack mechs are quite good; MWO did really hit this out of the ball park!
https://mwomercs.com/store

Or if you prefer free-to-play for now, Timber Wolf TBR-Prime is quite good, as well as Dire Wolf DWF-Prime.
The former is good with laser/missiles, and the latter is good at dakka (ballistic) especially!

Or if this is not your cup of tea, please do indicate your preferences!

Oh, and do have fun in MWO!

Oh hi w0qj, you were on my reintroduction thread a couple days ago lol.

I'm mostly a light and medium player, for lights I have Panthers, Commandos, Fleas, Javelins, Cougars, Adders, Spiders, Mist Lynxes, and Kit Foxes

Mediums I have a lot of, with Trebuchets, Enforcers, Novas, Blackjacks, Centurions, Hellspawns, Pheonix Hawks, Vindicators, Wolverines, Kintaros, and Ice Ferrets

I've played more than those, but those are what I currently have. Playstyles I've played and can play any style that fits mediums and lights.

Edited by MadHornet, 18 August 2021 - 12:19 PM.

#5 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:27 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 18 August 2021 - 12:18 PM, said:

Oh hi w0qj, you were on my reintroduction thread a couple days ago lol.

I'm mostly a light and medium player, for lights I have Panthers, Commandos, Fleas, Javelins, Cougars, Adders, Spiders, Mist Lynxes, and Kit Foxes

Mediums I have a lot of, with Trebuchets, Enforcers, Novas, Blackjacks, Centurions, Hellspawns, Pheonix Hawks, Vindicators, Wolverines, Kintaros, and Ice Ferrets

I've played more than those, but those are what I currently have. Playstyles I've played and can play any style that fits mediums and lights.

there's a really strong Phoenix Hawk build that's close to my heart:

https://mech.nav-alp...#5bb7602c_PXH-2

Grimmechs rates this as S-tier and it's still strong even after other lasers have caught up to the IS MPL. Zippy, good punch, the lack of a red dorito helps in QP, and the arms have good armor quirks so they don't immediately fall off.

#6 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:43 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 18 August 2021 - 12:27 PM, said:

there's a really strong Phoenix Hawk build that's close to my heart:

https://mech.nav-alp...#5bb7602c_PXH-2

Grimmechs rates this as S-tier and it's still strong even after other lasers have caught up to the IS MPL. Zippy, good punch, the lack of a red dorito helps in QP, and the arms have good armor quirks so they don't immediately fall off.

I've seen that one a few times, though I'd drop a jumpjet for head armor, that low of jump distance is only good for quickly scaling small terrain disturbances or fast turning anyway, and I'd rather not get popped by anything lower than dual gauss lol.

Looks solid, usually my PXH builds are stupid fast because I think it's funny, like dual snubnose PPC PXH-3S I have that goes 162 with MASC.

#7 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:50 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 18 August 2021 - 12:43 PM, said:

I've seen that one a few times, though I'd drop a jumpjet for head armor, that low of jump distance is only good for quickly scaling small terrain disturbances or fast turning anyway, and I'd rather not get popped by anything lower than dual gauss lol.

Looks solid, usually my PXH builds are stupid fast because I think it's funny, like dual snubnose PPC PXH-3S I have that goes 162 with MASC.

matter of taste, but honestly I've played it for quite some time and never gotten headshot in it.

I have a soft spot for that PHX with MASC. The new PHX that's coming out in the Hunter pack will also have MASC and can fit MASC, max engine, 4 JJ, max armor, and 7 SPL. It won't be out for a while but I think it'll be quite strong.

If you like very fast mediums, the Black Lanner with either all micro pulses, a mix of micro pulses and small lasers, or 6 ERML is an excellent option right now. can rocket up to 150 KPH, chase down stragglers, terrorize lights, etc.

#8 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:57 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 18 August 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

matter of taste, but honestly I've played it for quite some time and never gotten headshot in it.

I have a soft spot for that PHX with MASC. The new PHX that's coming out in the Hunter pack will also have MASC and can fit MASC, max engine, 4 JJ, max armor, and 7 SPL. It won't be out for a while but I think it'll be quite strong.

If you like very fast mediums, the Black Lanner with either all micro pulses, a mix of micro pulses and small lasers, or 6 ERML is an excellent option right now. can rocket up to 150 KPH, chase down stragglers, terrorize lights, etc.

Oh yeah that's one I haven't tried yet, never got around to it. I will surely pick one up.

I've always been fascinated with making non-lights go as fast as possible while still dealing a good punch.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:04 PM

Depends on your tier. Down in tier5 people stand around game lot more simple and i would say fun. About anything works from lrms to brawl.

Higher you go faster you need to be in the pug q and more range you need.

#10 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:06 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 18 August 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Depends on your tier. Down in tier5 people stand around game lot more simple and i would say fun. About anything works from lrms to brawl.

Higher you go faster you need to be in the pug q and more range you need.

I've stayed in tier 1 basically since the system was introduced, hard to believe though, I pilot silly things pretty often, but I guess my piloting skills outweigh that.

Edited by MadHornet, 18 August 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#11 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 18 August 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

I've stayed in tier 1 basically since the system was introduced, hard to believe though, I pilot silly things pretty often, but I guess my piloting skills outweigh that.

In tier 1 i say fast mediums the game is very move or die in the pug q. VGL one of the best mediums in the game as hitboxes are great or bugged.

Most heavy mechs work but i say the armor quirked IS would be the best for me but most heavy mechs work fine.

Assualts are limited to anything over 63kph. Mad2c being one of the best for pug q.

lights are very limited to few that work. Locust /flea commando, pir, wolfhound,urbanmech(if you stay with the pack)

Over all 99% of mechs will get you good dmg. Mechs above i would say get you 25% more.

#12 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 02:19 PM

Since no one linked Grimmechs above (although they mentioned it), here you go:

https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/

I'm a huge fan of Grimmechs, which has a great ranking of some of the best builds right now, and it is actively updated to some extent.

#13 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:49 PM

Welcome back!

We're in a period of great flux at the moment with all the excitement around cauldron. We've a quirk pass coming up, and some changes to HPG. Consensus seems to be that Cauldron are doing good work, and I mostly agree, but i'm worried that gameplay is starting to move back to days of Yore in MW3 comp where engagements were fought from different gridsquares.

Though the Cauldron buffed some under performing weapon systems (including a lot of shorter ranged options) In my experience, bias is tending to longer range pinpoint builds, or mixes of pinpoint and laser vom. You can still do well with shorter range builds if the planets align, but it's getting harder to advance under the curtains of PPCs and Gauss blotting out the sun, with the occasional stab of cerulean blue from LPLs or clan ERLLs for flavour.

PPC Veagles are stupendously powerful mediums - though not-Veagle mediums in general are hurting at the moment (IMHO) with their fragility and the abundance of whopping great alphas. Range is your friend.

Assaults are over represented currently, as the warden pack prompted whole pods of Dire whales to migrate to the pug queues, with their ECM and 91 point alphas. They're thankfully starting to disperse, but the builds for them or other similarly kitted out assaults are solid if you can find a PUG group that's willing to go easy on the accelerator.

Heavies as a general rule work, but use caution if you're not running something with survivability quirks - a decent alpha will orange the armour on a component in your first peek if you're not careful. I've seen Night Gyrs doing well with pinpoint poptarting or dakka builds, and after recent agility buffs, Mad Cats are leaving their mark on other-mech scratching posts again. Again, range is your friend.

Jump jet buffs have helped lighter mechs somewhat, but Fleas and Piranhas are still strong choices.

Basically.... jump onto Grim Mechs and sort by Medium to Long range, try some of the builds suggested there, and have fun!

#14 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:22 PM

This thread seems to have been started in the wrong forum section. I've moved it to BattleMechs

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:26 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 18 August 2021 - 11:41 AM, said:

Feel free to send smurfy mechlab links.

Oh, man... I have Bad News. The good news is that the Isengrim mechlab listed above is quite robust and full-featured - but Smurfy's still makes me melancholy when I think of it.

#16 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:33 AM

Yeah, MechDB has all the shiny toys AND is being updated to 2.0 at the moment to fully replace every feature of old Smurfy's or even improve them.

#17 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:42 AM

Wow, thanks for your heads-up!
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/equipment
https://mwomercs.com...-the-mwo-client

1. Just gave MechDB alpha 2.0 a spin, and it's a full replacement of the old (outdated) Smurfy!
Especially appreciate:
~Weapons stats table
~Weapons Ghost Heat table
~Mech Table View (useful for quickly figuring out mech hardpoint differences within the same chassis, especially for OmniMechs).
~I only use the Mech Tile View for viewing mech quirks.

Missing Info (But hey, this is Alpha version, to be expected!):
~Jump Jet info
~I wish that the Mech Table View's right hand side also shows the mech quirks, that would be very useful!

Very useful!! Thanks again!

2. Where can we give direct feedback to MechDB Forum?
~I wish that the Mech Table View's right hand side also shows the mech quirks, that would be very useful!

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 19 August 2021 - 12:33 AM, said:

Yeah, MechDB has all the shiny toys AND is being updated to 2.0 at the moment to fully replace every feature of old Smurfy's or even improve them.

Edited by w0qj, 19 August 2021 - 02:55 AM.

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:49 AM

Ask Kill2Blit for access to the MechDB discord Posted Image

#19 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:01 PM

At the risk of looking like a dinosaur with sabre-tooth fangs...
Sorry, I don't have Discord...

1. Is there any way I can contact Kill2Blit via a public MechDB Forum, or email?

2. When I do play MWO, I view Smurfy.net 10+ times each day. Therefore forsee heavy use of the updated MechDB!

Thanks a lot for your advice in advance!

#20 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:12 PM

Well, I think you should make a step into the future Posted Image

MechDB 1.0 has a "Contact Author"-button

Posted Image

that seems to be missing in 2.0's alpha state, but it's one-way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users