#41 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

View PostMechaGnome, on 05 September 2021 - 05:54 PM, said:

I've found so far all the maps but canyon are far superior and even canyon is playable.. Any map that works for all types of players and mechs is a good map.

The maps designer imo is doing a great job so far.

The lurmboat players no longer like it and the light pilots can no longer cheese so obviously they no longer vote for it..

as a LRM boater i take umbrage to that statement. i still like the the new maps. all of the revamps are good (even polar, hell gives me more cover to use VS sniper fire when i'm Lurmin)

as for the new Map guy, yeah he is doing a fantastic job so far. the new HPG does have a few hick-ups with the structures floating over terrain in one or two spots but from what i heard thats getting fixed.

#42 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:35 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 05 September 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

How many wargames /Shooter have symmetrical maps? from Battlefield over Cod,War Thunder to World of XXXX?!
its not starcraft

Actually quite a lot. Usually some decorations and stuff are added on each side independently so you don't notice the symmetry, but a lot of them when you cut them apart start showing that both sides are virtually identical.

#43 MrTBSC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:58 AM

i suppose people have some HIGH standarts ... i mean ... did you miss the changes to HPG and polar? ..... i don´t know what to tell you but these might as well be quite new maps in of themselves ... and yes would not mind new maps ... but i VERY MUCH like to have the old ones fixed, too thank you very much

#44 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:15 AM

View PostMrTBSC, on 13 September 2021 - 12:58 AM, said:

i suppose people have some HIGH standarts ... i mean ... did you miss the changes to HPG and polar? ..... i don´t know what to tell you but these might as well be quite new maps in of themselves ... and yes would not mind new maps ... but i VERY MUCH like to have the old ones fixed, too thank you very much

With PGI in mind, I set my standards low, very low, so low in fact that you can't go under them; however, PGI has found a way to dig under my expectation's bar, so that even resting on the floor, they have managed to go under it!

The changes to Polar Highlands and HPG were poorly crafted, not play tested or debugged and have left two maps with a lower than previous pick up (in my experience) than they were ever before. We have a map developer who has little or no regard for his customers (listen to his discussion and ridicule of players in the conference where he introduced the minor temporary changes to Canyon) and was no doubt employed because of Russ's approach in delivering unwanted/substandard goods with utter distain towards the very people paying his wages.

In the meantime, rather than spend time and effort on making MWO great, money, time and effort has been syphoned off, yet again, for another vanity project in releasing MW on PS - and that is your money he is frittering away . . .

#45 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:43 AM

For what it's worth, I like the new HPG and Polar.

#46 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:00 AM

Polar was changed into a sniper heaven/nascar fest. With movement being broken due to obstacles, now the team is usually channeled into the ravines where they cannot move properly or at the center where they are shot like fish in the barrel. JJs help, but not much. Conquest is destroyed as a game mod on the only map it ever worked properly.

I can feel nothing but hate for that map now. I am just glad that I see it even less often in game then the original, perhaps 5 times per week if even that much. That should give you folks idea how much it is enjoyed by players. The even had to make an event about it and give rewards for people to even play it.

HPG for my playstyle now has even less cover then before, on the account of the terrain being raised relative to the center, which exposes mechs trying to flank on the outer rim of the arena to sniper fire. It caters, as almost all maps that were modified, to static sniper play. I don't know how they failed to destroy Canyon completely, but it is an actually interesting map. Given the score, 33% of successful map modifications, I don't have high hopes on future modifications. I just hope there would be none.

And aye, repairing some things on older maps, like disastrous terrain hit registration, where invisible terrain eats your shots, would be more welcomed then modified (destroyed) old maps.

#47 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:02 AM

This thread is absolute nonsense.

#48 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:38 AM

Maps remake and cauldrons update are terrible.
Play style is long range alfa vomit.
I think they losing population again.

#49 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 13 September 2021 - 10:38 AM, said:

Maps remake and cauldrons update are terrible.
Play style is long range alfa vomit.

Opinion noted.

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 13 September 2021 - 10:38 AM, said:

I think they losing population again.

Got any data on that which isn’t based on personal opinion?

#50 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:48 AM

Oh, Cauldron Cerbers are here!
I liked this game before changes. After PPC fest and mech rescale it just all bad. Want back 1 year before.

#51 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 13 September 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

I liked this game before changes. After PPC fest and mech rescale it just all bad. Want back 1 year before.

You mean back when the population of the game was literally bottom of the barrel, and the game, by the developer's own admission, was in maintenance mode? Literally the game's darkest days?

Again, this game doesn't belong to you. You don't have a monopoly over it and you can't demand the game be walked back to its darkest days just because you don't want to think about getting shot from more than 200 meters away. That's not a realistic position to take, its not a reasonable position to take.

If you don't like getting shot at range on new HPG, find the spots where the snipers cant get you. There are plenty. If you keep walking right into the middle of the map and getting hosed down at range, then you deserve to lose. Dead simple.

Edited by pbiggz, 13 September 2021 - 12:00 PM.

#52 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:42 PM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 13 September 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

Before the changes? You realize this game hasn’t stopped changing since Beta, right? And every time any change at all is made, people make posts like yours lamenting that everything is ruined.

you know what isn’t ruined? I see a 9 year old game (that I happen to love) that is still online and whose population is actually trending upward a little. I’m not a Cauldron fanboy, but their changes have not been bad and they coincide with an uptick in population. While correlation =/= causality, I’m neither blinded by nor arguing with results.

#53 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:04 PM

Exciting new content would be.............
Posted Image

#54 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 13 September 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Exciting new content would be.............
Posted Image

Cuz right now, it’s a tankless job. Posted Image
hashtag MechDad jokes!

#55 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:21 AM

The maps are fine, its just players that refuse to stop rotating 24/7 and finding other ways to engage enemy mechs half the time. Also the lack of random spawns for objectives means, gameplay seldom changes, plus how they look is also a problem they look more like alpha assets than anything else really.

This game is another example bar many, of devs and a publisher who couldn't be bothered to develop the game to a decent standard before releasing and too not keep their petty impulsive greed to a minimum.

Which seems to be the norm, which is disturbing but won't change sadly. The Level Designer is good at this job regardless though, just needs to do more fine combing.

#56 MechNexus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:41 AM

The map reworks are good, you just refuse to adapt and learn how they play.

#57 Garran Tana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:48 AM

The reworks are basically new maps replacing old, bad maps. LOVE THEM. So much fun, new and exciting gameplay. I would not mind if PGI used the old assets from existing maps and made few more of every 'biom' so we can have some nice 'this is a planet xyz' wibe. Would be good base for faction play changes.

#58 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:54 AM

View PostThreeStooges, on 26 August 2021 - 01:21 PM, said:

Yeah about all that. Pgi did that (long tom and ai) and it killed the game for a long time. So bad that it drove a lot of people away. Pgi is not good at any of those things. See you tube:

Long Tom killed faction warfare, and then it still took them forever to remove it. Total garbage.

#59 RoadToDohWhere

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:24 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 13 September 2021 - 11:25 AM, said:

Opinion noted.

Got any data on that which isn’t based on personal opinion?

https://steamcharts.com/app/342200

#60 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

According to that chart, the biggest drop that's happened recently was in june, which is not when this map came out, so the naysayers' thesis that new more sniper-friendly maps are causing a decline in players cannot honestly be supported. Additionally, summer is always a slump, because people, you know, leave their houses to do things outside. There's any number of ways to interpret that data, and most of them are reckless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users