Maps & Heat

10 replies to this topic

#1 Murdock Mattlov

Rookie

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:53 PM

I'm trying to better understand how heat works on the maps, and what makes a "hot" map vs. a "cold" map.

I took a Black Lanner into the testing grounds, and standing still fired one Alpha. No matter what map I was on, be it "hot" or "cold" my heat went up to 57% and then came back down again. There may have been slight differences in how quickly the heat dropped, maybe, but to me they were honestly imperceptible.

Does this really mean that there's no practical "heat" difference on the maps?

I find it hard to believe that Frozen City and Terra Therma could be the same as far as heat performance, but so far as it pertains to my Black Lanner in the testing grounds, that seemed to be the case.

I can't find any particularly useful or current info or guides anywhere, so I'm really hoping that someone can explain this a bit better, or even better yet, provide some sort of "heat scale" chart for the different maps.

Thanks so much!

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 August 2021 - 05:23 PM

The ambient temperature of the map'll change the cooling rate, not your heat cap.

~Leone.

#3 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

exactly, i suggest doing your testing on Caustic as if i remember right it is currently the hottest map (other than actually standing in the lava on Tera. and the caldera in the center of caustic i believe is even hotter than the rest of the map.)

on a side note HPG is a "cold" map when it should be a "hot" one (HPG is on an extra-solar moon if i remember right and as such has no atmosphere (thats why your weapons sound different there). heat dissipates far more slowly in a low atmosphere or vacuum environment. thats why most space stations in RL have such large cooling vanes. but can't expect PGI to do actual research or even a quick google search.

#4 Murdock Mattlov

Rookie

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:51 PM

So what we're saying is that the cap is static across all maps, but the cooling rate is affected. Said rate seemed virtually imperceptible, or at least close enough that it seemed to me that it would have little effect on a build. I can't seem to find specific map temp info though, and I've heard conflicting claims of Terra/Caustic/Vitric as the "hottest". I too had heard that it was Caustic, but I have also seen, recently, others adamantly declaring it to be Terra, etc.

Some sort of chart or list would be fantastic, if anyone has found or created such a thing, since it would be great to actually know where to best "test" my hotter builds for maximum effective "heat efficiency".

And a clear explanation of said cooling rate with number and such would be a useful bit of info maybe? I just don't quite know how to go about collecting it myself.

Thanks for the feedback though, all!

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 August 2021 - 01:09 AM

View PostMurdock Mattlov, on 27 August 2021 - 11:51 PM, said:

So what we're saying is that the cap is static across all maps, but the cooling rate is affected. Said rate seemed virtually imperceptible, or at least close enough that it seemed to me that it would have little effect on a build. I can't seem to find specific map temp info though, and I've heard conflicting claims of Terra/Caustic/Vitric as the "hottest". I too had heard that it was Caustic, but I have also seen, recently, others adamantly declaring it to be Terra, etc.

Some sort of chart or list would be fantastic, if anyone has found or created such a thing, since it would be great to actually know where to best "test" my hotter builds for maximum effective "heat efficiency".

And a clear explanation of said cooling rate with number and such would be a useful bit of info maybe? I just don't quite know how to go about collecting it myself.

Thanks for the feedback though, all!

Not only your cooling rate but also your innitial heatlevel.
That is a thing you will only notice on mechs with very low cooling and it should be a marginal or non issue on high heat mechs.
Regarding the mechanics I took the liberty to post you two sites to draw mechanics from:

https://mwo.fandom.com/wiki/Heat_Sinks
https://wiki.mwomerc....php?title=Heat

Awayfrom that always remember GIDFPosted Image

#6 Murdock Mattlov

Rookie

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:58 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 28 August 2021 - 01:09 AM, said:

Not only your cooling rate but also your innitial heatlevel.
That is a thing you will only notice on mechs with very low cooling and it should be a marginal or non issue on high heat mechs.
Regarding the mechanics I took the liberty to post you two sites to draw mechanics from:

https://mwo.fandom.com/wiki/Heat_Sinks
https://wiki.mwomerc....php?title=Heat

Awayfrom that always remember GIDFPosted Image

That second link is EXACTLY what I was trying to find! Thanks!

Was googling all sorts of junk and never found that one.

Also, kind of surprised to find that technically Tourmaline is "hotter" than Caustic even! And all the people who have told me that Caustic is hottest are about 4 maps low according to this chart. Testing builds on Terra Therma from here on out. Haha!

I also note that the first link hasn't been updated since 2018, and the second one is 2019. Has anything changed or been added that would alter this since then, or is that info still considered "current"? For example, the second link mentions stealth armor arresting heat dissipation, and I didn't think that was the case?

Edited by Murdock Mattlov, 28 August 2021 - 12:23 PM.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 August 2021 - 04:44 PM

Stealth armor mechs do not dissipate heat as quickly when stealth armor is active. The actual rate was adjusted one time since the initial introduction which made it cool a little better. You'll often see stealth mechs with low heat weapons because they can fire more often before having heat problems.

#8 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 August 2021 - 07:59 PM

looks like i have to change my test map as well. (though i have memorized where all the target mechs are on Caustic.)

thanks for the correction.

#9 Murdock Mattlov

Rookie

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 01:58 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 28 August 2021 - 04:44 PM, said:

Stealth armor mechs do not dissipate heat as quickly when stealth armor is active. The actual rate was adjusted one time since the initial introduction which made it cool a little better. You'll often see stealth mechs with low heat weapons because they can fire more often before having heat problems.

That much I knew, but that second the link provided by The Basilisk (which is the most current of the two) states "While active stealth armor will stop your mech from dissipating heat", which we know to be inaccurate.

So I'm just wondering if there's anything more current that includes that, and any other changes that maybe have been added, if anything else?

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 28 August 2021 - 07:59 PM, said:

looks like i have to change my test map as well. (though i have memorized where all the target mechs are on Caustic.)

thanks for the correction.

Right? But also, can't seem to find anything specific on the caldera, so it's possible that the caldera is the hottest spot on any map (minus the actual active lava I'm guessing), and that the numerous people I've had tell me that Caustic is hottest may have meant that spot specifically?

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 August 2021 - 04:35 PM

View PostMurdock Mattlov, on 31 August 2021 - 01:58 PM, said:

That much I knew, but that second the link provided by The Basilisk (which is the most current of the two) states "While active stealth armor will stop your mech from dissipating heat", which we know to be inaccurate.

So I'm just wondering if there's anything more current that includes that, and any other changes that maybe have been added, if anything else?

Right? But also, can't seem to find anything specific on the caldera, so it's possible that the caldera is the hottest spot on any map (minus the actual active lava I'm guessing), and that the numerous people I've had tell me that Caustic is hottest may have meant that spot specifically?

On the old Caustic, it was said the Caldera was twice as hot as the rest of the map, but I have no numbers to back that up.

#11 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:02 PM

No numbers myself, but in pre-rework Caustic it definitely felt like you built heat faster in the caldera than basically anywhere except while actively standing in lava on Terra Therma.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users