12 replies to this topic

#1 Damiiiit

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 August 2021 - 06:45 PM

LOVE this game. Played the first time back in the early 90's. Still have the original disc's too. Then RL got in the way. Now I am back. I am retired now, no lighting fast reflexes, there is information overload on the screen, hard time remembering what key does what... I could keep going but no matter, adapt and overcome. I am learning from all the great detailed information in here too.

As a side note, I have a avg 700 ping from a satellite connection. The screen glitch causes me the greatest challenge to adapt to. So from my heart, I say sorry to anyone I may have shot or ran hard into, I did not and will not do either on purpose.

Anyway, See ya in the game.

Damiiiit

#2 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:04 PM

Welcome back Damiiiit

I am just returning after 5 years also, and like you retired OLD and uncordinated (G)
I am sure there is room for us ancients but just where
I dropped for the first time tonight and wow did a whopping 71 pts of damage sigh hope it gets better

salute

#3 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:43 PM

welcome both of you. though i don't have ping issues my self i understand your pain. not quite your ages (36 myself) but i am disabled and have hand tremors so i understand your pain.

my i suggest the much hated and locking weapon system the LRM. don't let some detractors fool you its not easy mode but they can be effective if used right.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 27 August 2021 - 09:43 PM.

#4 Damiiiit

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 August 2021 - 08:45 AM

thanks for the reply's y'all, I finally got my headset and mic working, and listening in has already proved fruitful for me in knowledge gained. muskrat, 71 pts is great. I was single digit damage dealing my first 16 battles. I will try the LRM lock you suggest VeeOt Dragon as I have horrible luck with rockets in general. I blame that on the ping though.

#5 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 August 2021 - 08:05 PM

get ready for some salt though as there is a very vocal minority that think LRM should not exist or be nerfed into uselessness. (some good LRM mechs are the Dervish, Archer, and Catapult, the missile Hunchback works pretty well also. just look at the Quirks to pick the one that works best for you. i don't play Clan mechs so can't give any suggestions there) i do recommend some form of energy back up weapons as well.

remember though the ECM will make it take far longer to get a lock on the covered target and AMS will cut your damage. Line of sight also gets faster locks than if the enemy is behind cover. (as long as you get the lock you can get behind cover and fire all day as long as the target stays spotted you just have to keep you crosshair in the target box). TAG will help get LoS locks faster and cut ECM but has limited range. Artemis (in the last drop down thing in the mech lab where you can change armor types and HS type) adds an extra ton per launcher and makes the missiles cluster better and i think lock faster but only with LoS firing. i'll leave it up to you if you think these are worth the extra tonnage.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 28 August 2021 - 08:11 PM.

#6 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:57 PM

A welcome welcome to MWO!

Do have fun exploring the new post-Civil War timeline weapons/equipment!
https://mwomercs.com/civil-war-update

Do free to ask questions, and we'll do our best to answer!
(and we're sure you'll have many!)

You can just jump into the deep end and learn brawling with ballistic/laser/PPC/MRM/SRM.
I literally did single digit damage with my Atlas for quite a few games, when I first started.
(Got the Atlas Kraken from a very special price on Steam).

Or you can do LRM/ATM while learning the basics, and then switch to brawling with ballistic/laser/PPC/MRM/SRM later on.
You'll have to learn both, both to discover your playstyle, and to know what opponent is trying to do!
I personally feel it's by far the easiest way for new players to level up one's mech.

Just make sure that you'll eventually 'graduate' to brawling with ballistic/laser/PPC/MRM/SRM.
That's almost all they do in the higher levels of MWO QP PSR Tiers!

#7 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:55 AM

My usual tips for newbros:

Take your mouse sensitivity WAY DOWN. Default is 1.0. I have 0.1. I've seen some people go as high as 0.2 but that's still a fifth of the default.

Adjust Field of View. The default 60 is the typical setting for console games you play on TV from your couch, so the distance from eyes to screen is very long. When playing by a desk with monitor relatively close to your eyes, a much higher value is recommended.

Edited by Gagis, 29 August 2021 - 12:55 AM.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 02:31 AM

Depends on your dpi ofcourse. But yes if u think your mouse is too slow->half the speed and u get in the right region

#9 Damiiiit

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 August 2021 - 03:58 PM

Well I will work on the rockets down the road, not really having any luck with them yet. I 'm getting like 25 damage for every 1K I fire. My "Q" button quick look does not work for some reason and F3 to F3 and back has gotten me killed a few times. So I am really trying hard to just stay with the cockpit view. But with the light and fast mech it is really hard. I brought my mouse setting down as low as it can go- that really helped, thank you. The biggest help I got for my game was deciding to fill the skills sensor tree and put a lot of points into the operations skill tree. I tried the suggested skills for just starting out for over 100 battles, and thought something is wrong. So now, if you don't have a direct line of sight on me you won't see me. Sort of like a poor mans stealth armor. And the 700 ping continues to offer the greatest challenge. But still love the game :)

#10 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:56 PM

View PostDamiiiit, on 30 August 2021 - 03:58 PM, said:

Well I will work on the rockets down the road, not really having any luck with them yet. I 'm getting like 25 damage for every 1K I fire. My "Q" button quick look does not work for some reason and F3 to F3 and back has gotten me killed a few times. So I am really trying hard to just stay with the cockpit view. But with the light and fast mech it is really hard. I brought my mouse setting down as low as it can go- that really helped, thank you. The biggest help I got for my game was deciding to fill the skills sensor tree and put a lot of points into the operations skill tree. I tried the suggested skills for just starting out for over 100 battles, and thought something is wrong. So now, if you don't have a direct line of sight on me you won't see me. Sort of like a poor mans stealth armor. And the 700 ping continues to offer the greatest challenge. But still love the game Posted Image

-- Hmm.. Q key is for teammate status - screenshot below from wiki - https://wiki.mwomerc...tle=Game_Manual
-- F3 Switching from/to 3rd person view .. when in 3rd person view you have a little drone above your head.
-- 700 ping - What servers do you have selected (arrow button next to Quickplay button), and via your previous post you are on satellite /shudders... other than using satellite for downloads/updates, are you able to connect via your cell phone to use its network?

Posted Image

Edited by Half Ear, 30 August 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 30 August 2021 - 10:06 PM

If you have 4G cell phone connection, it's "fast enough" to play MWO.
It's not the ideal solution; you'll notice the occasional lag, but good enough for Tier 3/4/5 game play.

We've used our 4G cell (mobile) phone connection in a pinch. :)

#12 Damiiiit

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 August 2021 - 08:09 AM

MY BAD, I was tired when I posted. It is the left control - quick look into the cockpit. I am guessing this allows you to view the mini map?

#13 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 01 September 2021 - 11:09 AM

View PostDamiiiit, on 31 August 2021 - 08:09 AM, said:

MY BAD, I was tired when I posted. It is the left control - quick look into the cockpit. I am guessing this allows you to view the mini map?

No, it is "B" that enlarges the MiniMap by default into the BattleGrid display. You can also use "I" (as in, Capital 'i'... Not "L") to get more information while in the BattleGrid display interface. ;)

In the case of Cockpit Free Look which is set by default to the "Left Control" key, you have to hold that key and simultaneously move the mouse around. Otherwise, one would think it strangely is not working, as it requires the simultaneous interaction of both hands. There is no way to map the Cockpit Free Look as a toggle item... :o

But that said, there is a way to do it without having to hold the Cockpit Free Look command's key. Either while you're in the Testing Grounds (safest place to do this) or during normal gameplay (you better find a safe place for this one, or the Enemy will blast you away) where you happen to be out on a map, it is possible to look around your Cockpit by powering down your Mech for a moment, usually done with "P" on the keyboard. Doing this surrenders control from the Mech temporarily in order to move your Pilot Character's head around and see most of everything in there, and you can always press "P" again to get the Mech moving once more. Also, your Mech can sometimes more easily cool off while it's powered down, so that may be of some use to you. ^_^

Admittedly however, if you have remapped any of these, you'll need to use that remapped key instead. I'm only referring to these commands by their defaults! :mellow:

~D. V. "hopes that the pointers on using a few of your Mech's awareness-related commands will help" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users