• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:53 AM

Sourced from EG7 Q2 report: https://www.enadglob...erim-Report.pdf
Posted Image
Essentially, PGI moved anywhere between 200K to 900K units of MW5 prior to the relaunch, with that factored in we're looking at 360K - 1.1M. Sales on non-Steam platforms (ie Xbox and GOG, probably also including post-exclusivity sales on Epic) amount to 30.5K total units.
Now, keep in mind that they include DLC in these sales (not clear if buying the Dropship Edition counts as one or two copies) and that's kind of underwhelming by modern standards.

#2 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:08 AM

I personally feel that MWO can benefit with game cross-promotion!

Give MW5 players a few free Special mechs when they play MWO also!
Give MWO players a few free Special mechs when they play MW5 also!

Heck, if they Give MW5 players a few free Special mechs, I might buy it just for that!

(Caveat: MWO Special mechs if one also buys the top tier MW5 DLC Expansion Packs)

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 08:25 AM

pgi is not bad at business, they are just bad at everything else.

maybe i would think differently if mwo got major dev time put into it. and i mean serious. revisit axed features, make actual maps, and a horde of qol stuff that would make the game easier to maintain in the long run (read: reduce costs), perhaps a jihad mech/weapon pack.

likely they will put their funds into more dlc for mw5 (which i might get especially if it lets me get my vr headset out of mothballs) or their next game of their own ip, which im not even remotely interested in.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 September 2021 - 08:32 AM.

#4 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 September 2021 - 12:24 PM

View Postw0qj, on 04 September 2021 - 06:08 AM, said:

Heck, if they Give MW5 players a few free Special mechs, I might buy it just for that!
They did, during the original pre-order. IIRC, those were the MAD-9M(S), WHM-9D(S), KGC-001(S) and CPLT-C2(S) .

#5 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 September 2021 - 01:34 PM

I'd have bought it had pgi not make the epic exclusivity deal and allowed steam workshop mod support. Still waiting for a 80-80% off or goty version then maybe I might add it to cart. Until then I still have a big library to keep me busy.

#6 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, I cancelled my preorder when they shifted to Epic for a timed exclusive. They were very generous with the refund policy (preorder refunds only had to email support with their info, and kept all the preorder MWO crossover goodies).

I bought it as soon as it was available on Steam, but the steam release broke a lot of the existing mods and such, and the integration seems to still be pretty shaky. Opening up the modding flood gates would do a lot for MW5 I think, and I know PGI would like to get those open and have been pretty transparent with the tools people need to start modding it.

#7 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:49 AM

View Postw0qj, on 04 September 2021 - 06:08 AM, said:

I personally feel that MWO can benefit with game cross-promotion!

Nope.
This is another of the reasons I feel there should be real clarity on the differences between the two.

1 - Different controls. While MW5 keeps some of MWO's control scheme, even slight changes make a difference. MWO zoom key is on the keyboard only, MW5 is the mouse wheel that is so much better and natural than a key.
2 - Turning Chain Fire on and off is almost hidden.
3 - LRMs not firing at all in minimum range yet PPCs get full damage, compare to MWO people will get confused using these weapons.
4 - Speaking of weapons, only Lasers have extended beyond full damage range.
5 - MGs go from obnoxiously good (MW5) to MWO version.
6 - ECM is not a stealth thing.

You get the idea.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 01:51 PM

View PostHorseman, on 04 September 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

They did, during the original pre-order. IIRC, those were the MAD-9M(S), WHM-9D(S), KGC-001(S) and CPLT-C2(S) .

those werent bad variants either. usually free mechs tend to suck. but they really delivered on those.

#9 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 02:51 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 05 September 2021 - 04:49 AM, said:

Nope.
This is another of the reasons I feel there should be real clarity on the differences between the two.

1 - Different controls. While MW5 keeps some of MWO's control scheme, even slight changes make a difference. MWO zoom key is on the keyboard only, MW5 is the mouse wheel that is so much better and natural than a key.

...more stuff

Uhhh wut? I zoom with my mouse wheel. Sounds like operator error to me.

#10 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:35 PM

And MWO sees a few variant packs, map overhauls and a few xml changes..

Posted Image

#11 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:31 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 05 September 2021 - 02:51 PM, said:

Uhhh wut? I zoom with my mouse wheel. Sounds like operator error to me.

Never seen it, never worked for me, so nope.

#12 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:32 AM

I have my mouse wheen configured so that roll up is max zoom, roll down is min zoom and button down is advanced zoom. if you instead set up as one tick more zoom and down as one tick less zoom, advanced zoom should be the next tick up from maximum zoom.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that ballistics and SRMs at least also do damage beyond maximum range in MW5 too, not just lasers.

Edited by Gagis, 06 September 2021 - 06:46 AM.

#13 Armchair General

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:35 AM

Moved to MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries subforum

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:58 AM

View PostMoldur, on 04 September 2021 - 01:40 PM, said:

Yeah, I cancelled my preorder when they shifted to Epic for a timed exclusive. They were very generous with the refund policy (preorder refunds only had to email support with their info, and kept all the preorder MWO crossover goodies).

I bought it as soon as it was available on Steam, but the steam release broke a lot of the existing mods and such, and the integration seems to still be pretty shaky. Opening up the modding flood gates would do a lot for MW5 I think, and I know PGI would like to get those open and have been pretty transparent with the tools people need to start modding it.

The only reason why steam broke the mods is because the mods were made for a previous version. The modders need to update their mods. This happens with every single update, or at least can on any mod outside of very basic ones.

This is a fact of life for modding. The only thing PGI needs to do is keep the beta branch open, so players can select what version they want to play, just like paradox does for their games.

#15 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:27 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 06 September 2021 - 09:58 AM, said:

The only reason why steam broke the mods is because the mods were made for a previous version. The modders need to update their mods. This happens with every single update, or at least can on any mod outside of very basic ones.

Not quite that simple. PGI broke their mod tools with the expansion too so the modders have had to make up elaboprate workarounds or give up trying

#16 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:21 AM

A shame that Steam still is so strong over GOG.

Advertising was so little if i would not have been watching this site for nostalgic and curiosity reasons i would have missed the MW5 relaunch as in the ocean of advertising i cant remember anything MW5 memorable on another site (i dont watch the MW5 site - nothing is going on there).

PGI has done again an insider job...

Breaking the mods does not help either when you count in how much the mods add and they should much more promote these mods.

Edited by Thorqemada, 07 September 2021 - 02:23 AM.

#17 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:15 AM

View PostGagis, on 06 September 2021 - 06:32 AM, said:

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that ballistics and SRMs at least also do damage beyond maximum range in MW5 too, not just lasers.

In game stats do not show this and have tried it, not seen it work once.

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:31 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 08 September 2021 - 09:15 AM, said:

In game stats do not show this and have tried it, not seen it work once.

Only energy weapons have a damage fall-off. Ballistics and Missiles always do the same damage when they connect, no matter the range. The projectiles drop relatively fast beyond max range, though

#19 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:38 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 September 2021 - 12:31 AM, said:

Only energy weapons have a damage fall-off. Ballistics and Missiles always do the same damage when they connect, no matter the range. The projectiles drop relatively fast beyond max range, though

That might be my point though it is hard to tell what you are saying.

MWO: All Energy and Ballisitics have a full damage range and a further less than full damage range.

MW5: Lasers and PPCs have a full damage range and less than full damage range.

That is two different systems.

#20 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:18 AM

MW5 Lasers' max range is 1.5x their optimal, PPCs have double optimum just like MWO but no minimum range, all Ballistics have no falloff so lobbing an AC20 cannonball at a faraway stationary target is worth it. SRMs fly straight to max range and then start dropping a bit further after that, dealing max damage so as long as they hit, but will eventually burn out / go poof (think its 1.5x range). LRMs fire so far that you can't notice where they disappear.

The ingame display for this info is very lacking and somewhat misleading, it needs improvement.

Also, ahem. Melee incoming. That might boost sales numbers.

Edited by Xhaleon, 10 September 2021 - 01:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users