About Barcode Names (Proposal)

21 replies to this topic

#1 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:16 AM

I'm not the author of this idea, the "barcode names" were successfully implemented in "StarCraft 2" - it works, it brings pleasure to the players, it brings monthly profit to the developers.
So why not?
This mechanic works the same way as premium time, just need to hide main nicknames and replace with a common nickname (for example "MechWarrior").
Developers get profit, players get fun - everyone is happy!

My logic is that if the developers make a profit, they more invest in the development of MWO... I think a couple of bucks a month is nice - it gives more opportunities and motivation.

UPD:
the mechanics of the "barcode name" includes changing the nickname code for EVERY game, for example, "MechWarrior-a32i54r45", the code is needed so that the "barcode name" can be punished for war crimes or harasing

Edited by Rkshz, 04 September 2021 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:20 AM

Uhh, what does this actually mean? I haven't played StarCraft so I can't deduce from your post what you are talking about.

#3 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:42 AM

Idea is people want to be anonymous. I'm OK with it as long as it also disables all chat to prevent anonymous trolling.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:59 AM

View PostGagis, on 04 September 2021 - 06:20 AM, said:

Uhh, what does this actually mean? I haven't played StarCraft so I can't deduce from your post what you are talking about.

Basically like in a FFA mode it will hide your name and similar just label you 'Player 1'

However most games do it for free... I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

And there are far more important things that need developer resources put onto them first too I would think going off the Road Maps etc.

#5 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:31 AM

Aw hell naw if I see Nightbird or Ash on the other side I'm going to adjust my gameplay accordingly. I consider it an early warning systemPosted Image

#6 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 04 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 04 September 2021 - 06:59 AM, said:

Basically like in a FFA mode it will hide your name and similar just label you 'Player 1'

However most games do it for free... I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

And there are far more important things that need developer resources put onto them first too I would think going off the Road Maps etc.

I repeat, especially for you - in MWO this mechanic is practically implemented, and in order to do devs need to spend FEW resources
1. There is a premium time mechanic (that is, you buy something that lasts a certain time).
2. There is a mechanic to change nickname.
= it remains to add that the nickname was by default changed only for the time for which it was purchased

the "barcode names" will be bought because, firstly, many people like anonymity, and secondly, because people like to spend their money

- and yes, it's EASIER to do than to change maps, add new mech packs, make new decals, etc.
and this is a stable small income for developers (as well as selling premium times)

Edited by Rkshz, 04 September 2021 - 09:15 AM.

#7 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 04 September 2021 - 09:21 AM

Anonymity is the breeding ground for abusive and toxic behaviour which was present quite a while ago, but has been dormant for a couple of years; let's keep it that way.

No to the "barcode names"

#8 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

A player who wants to pay to be anonymous? Sounds like someone who wants to troll other players and get away with it. Implementing this in MWO would be a total waste of time and effort and I really have to question the OP for even suggesting it - especially bearing in mind their previous comments about alt-farming tier 5 to be 'a player like me who single-handedly kills the whole team of newby'

Edited by Dogstar, 04 September 2021 - 10:52 AM.

#9 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 11:05 AM

You can already pay MC to change your name. Theres players who have done it more times I can count

#10 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 04 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

View PostPeppaPig, on 04 September 2021 - 09:21 AM, said:

Anonymity is the breeding ground for abusive and toxic behaviour which was present quite a while ago, but has been dormant for a couple of years; let's keep it that way.

No to the "barcode names"

there are a lot of toxic players now (for example, me)
who told you that there will be no punishment for trolling and outrage? just a random code is added to each default "barcode name", for example "MechWarrior-213" - did he hurt you or did he teamkill you? making a report just like now!

View PostDogstar, on 04 September 2021 - 10:52 AM, said:

A player who wants to pay to be anonymous? Sounds like someone who wants to troll other players and get away with it.

the player always pays anonymously - any purchase is made from the card anonymously (only administrators see who paid)

View PostGagis, on 04 September 2021 - 11:05 AM, said:

You can already pay MC to change your name. Theres players who have done it more times I can count

each name change costs 4.5k mс - but the "barcode name" will change every game

Edited by Rkshz, 04 September 2021 - 01:38 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 04 September 2021 - 07:31 AM, said:

Aw hell naw if I see Nightbird or Ash on the other side I'm going to adjust my gameplay accordingly. I consider it an early warning systemPosted Image

its a reminder to me to put away the joystick, put my headset on, turn off the tv, get some coffee and put the cat down off my desk.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 September 2021 - 03:45 PM.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 September 2021 - 04:38 PM

View PostRkshz, on 04 September 2021 - 09:12 AM, said:

I repeat, especially for you - in MWO this mechanic is practically implemented, and in order to do devs need to spend FEW resources

You don't need to repeat anything for me, of that I can assure you.

This is should be filed alongside the great "MWO Cloud" idea if 2020...

Edited by justcallme A S H, 04 September 2021 - 04:39 PM.

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:55 AM

Let me understand.

Instead of using a chosen username, not my real name, thus I am anonymous, I should want a username to hide my username that hides my real name.
Completely ignore the long time argument how chosen username have already brought out the worst qualities of some people.

Posted Image

#14 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:09 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 05 September 2021 - 04:55 AM, said:

Let me understand.

Instead of using a chosen username, not my real name, thus I am anonymous, I should want a username to hide my username that hides my real name.
Completely ignore the long time argument how chosen username have already brought out the worst qualities of some people.

yes, in StarCraft 2 these are used by thousands and thousands of people, it is popular
I am sure that there will be many people in MWO who want to do this too - it will bring good profits for developers and fun for players
if you cannot understand this, this does not mean that it does not need to be done

#15 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

View PostRkshz, on 05 September 2021 - 06:09 AM, said:

if you cannot understand this, this does not mean that it does not need to be done

I understand fine, I just think it's a monumentally stupid idea and that the only people who want it are those who want to troll

#16 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:40 AM

The idea works in a 1v1 skill based game with professional players that are so good some people give up and don't even try when they see who their opponent is.

This does not apply to team based games or the playerbase of MWO.

#17 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:55 AM

View PostGagis, on 05 September 2021 - 10:40 AM, said:

The idea works in a 1v1 skill based game with professional players that are so good some people give up and don't even try when they see who their opponent is.

This does not apply to team based games or the playerbase of MWO.

I'll upset you, but in StarCraft2 players actively play 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4, so also the "free-for-all" mode and also mods and maps - and the "barcode name" works wherever the player wants

and yes, if you didn't know, StarCraft2 is also a team game - much more team play than MWO

Edited by Rkshz, 05 September 2021 - 11:06 AM.

#18 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 11:03 AM

As someone with aspirations of trolling, I fully support this idea.

#19 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:29 AM

View PostRkshz, on 05 September 2021 - 06:09 AM, said:

[/center]
yes, in StarCraft 2 these are used by thousands and thousands of people, it is popular
I am sure that there will be many people in MWO who want to do this too - it will bring good profits for developers and fun for players

If you cannot understand why it is wrong, that does not mean it needs doing.

People already have committed plenty of toxic and trolling things using chosen usernames, heck some places on the internet they do it with their real name.

There is no reason to add yet another username on top of that.

Edited by Wildstreak, 06 September 2021 - 05:30 AM.

#20 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:41 AM

lolwat?

You want to pay money to hide your account name?

This is clearly the feature the game has been missing from day one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users