130 replies to this topic

#1 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:54 AM

I have tried to play kodiak 3, but from my experience i just get rekt very easily.
I find smaller and more agile mechs not only faster, but also stronger in terms of damage output, which makes this assault and some others basically useless trash.

In my opinion this is due to this chassis having too low agility, like some other assaults and overall too low armor for the size of its hitboxes.

I generally disagree with many assaults having such low accel decel rate, and such low turn rate, and in particular i think that kodiaks could use more armor

Thoughts?

Edited by D A T A, 07 September 2021 - 11:56 AM.

#2 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

The biggest reason, at least when the Kodiak was released, was it's ability to mount heavy weapons on the shoulder mounts and peak hills without much exposure, and then finish the enemy off with more armor intact at the end of the game. I really have not seen much of that lately, perhaps due to it's inability to back up into cover fast enough now.

#3 DargorA7X

Rookie

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:29 PM

I agree, kodiak needs more armor and agility.

#4 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:36 PM

Disagree, KDK-3 performs just fine.

If anything, lights should be buffed and assaults nerfed.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:40 PM

There are so, sooooo many mechs that need help before the KDK-3 should even be considered.

#6 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:41 PM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 07 September 2021 - 12:36 PM, said:

Disagree, KDK-3 performs just fine.

If anything, lights should be buffed and assaults nerfed.

Nerfing has been PGI's way of dealing with problems for years and have decimated many chassis intentionally or unintentionally. Lights need a buff or just a overhaul of scaling in MWO since the models are too big relative to the environment anyway.

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 September 2021 - 01:05 PM

S h a i x - has been running around in almost nothing but a KDK3 for 3 months.

He is close to top performing in most matches that I see. If course not all, like any match, but if you're in the top 2-3 results every match in that chasiss it can't be the chassis issue.

#8 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:46 PM

I'm gonna assume the Bad Touch Bear is fine. I still remember the thing being so ridiculous it was banned from comp play a few times, just because it was considered too unstoppably good. Obviously the game has changed since, but I can't imagine it's going all that poorly. When the Kodiak's turn in the Quirkening comes, I'm sure they'll...

Oh, wait. Yeah, the Kodiak already got its turn, and the Bad Touch Bear was given minor durability quirks because it's a Firepower 'Mech, not a mobility 'Mech. It's fine.

#9 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:09 PM

View PostD A T A, on 07 September 2021 - 11:54 AM, said:

I have tried to play kodiak 3, but from my experience i just get rekt very easily.
I find smaller and more agile mechs not only faster, but also stronger in terms of damage output, which makes this assault and some others basically useless trash.
In my opinion this is due to this chassis having too low agility, like some other assaults and overall too low armor for the size of its hitboxes.
I generally disagree with many assaults having such low accel decel rate, and such low turn rate, and in particular i think that kodiaks could use more armor
Thoughts?

I completely agree
1. it seems to me that KDK has the widest hitboxes of all clan assults (especially from the back)
2. another problem of the KDK is a bulging belly (when turning, they still fall into the CT)
3. and agility KDK3 is just awful (compare to agility CP-S with 4lb10)
4. and all KDKs have very wide arms (constantly teamdmg to those who are near)
I think KDKs needs to improve and re-scale

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 September 2021 - 01:05 PM, said:

He is close to top performing in most matches that I see. If course not all, like any match, but if you're in the top 2-3 results every match in that chasiss it can't be the chassis issue.

S h a i x one of the best KDK3 pilot imho
but he never stands on the first line, he plays very carefully

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:59 PM

Every time i run my kdk3 i wonder why i didn't take a blood asp or sleipnir with basically the same loadouts .

It needs help

#11 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:07 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 September 2021 - 01:05 PM, said:

Not to fling stones, but because one elitist performs well in a specific chassis is not a good counter argument that a chassis does not needs help. The Kodiak was hit hard with nerfs from PGI, and I do agree it needs help. I think the mech needs a hitbox rework or a global resize to shrink the hitboxes, that I do not believe quirk rebalances are going to fix from the cauldron's perspective.

#12 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:12 PM

Could the KDK in general use a little help? Sure...but the KDK-3 is probably the best performing variant of the lot, and it is still perfectly capable of being a high performer as is. As was mentioned earlier their are many a chassis that need help before the KDK gets a look.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:51 PM

View PostValdarion Silarius, on 07 September 2021 - 05:07 PM, said:

Not to fling stones, but because one elitist performs well in a specific chassis is not a good counter argument that a chassis does not needs help. The Kodiak was hit hard with nerfs from PGI, and I do agree it needs help. I think the mech needs a hitbox rework or a global resize to shrink the hitboxes, that I do not believe quirk rebalances are going to fix from the cauldron's perspective.

D A T A is also at the top end of the food chain so my reply was more aimed at him and the discussion at hand. Part of this discussion has actually been going on the Cauldron discord and more agree that it is fine, that agree it has issues.

I too have used the KDK3 and will probably give it another run soon - I've had no issue using it either in the past however.

Remembering you don't balance from the bottom up. If you give the KDK3 much more than what it has now it'll again be on the verge of the absolute monster it once was. I don't believe the game needs that.

It is no different to the DWF or other 100T mechs. They can either dominate if played well or get destroyed if they do not. At least the KDK can be moving 60km/h+ where the DWF cannot so once in trouble it rarely can get out of it.

Yes the DWF can bring more guns it is as the cost of full exposure where the KDK3 simply does not need to risk that at all.

There is a lot to consider.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:55 PM

View PostRkshz, on 07 September 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

but he never stands on the first line, he plays very carefully

I have often seen him at the front early most games, as any smart player in Dakka does to get important damage in, so I'm not sure that statement is overly accurate.

#15 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:13 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 September 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

I have often seen him at the front early most games, as any smart player in Dakka does to get important damage in, so I'm not sure that statement is overly accurate.

yes, I get it, armor sharing is not for the "elite" Posted Image
the game needs more 100 ton snipers Posted Image

Edited by Rkshz, 07 September 2021 - 06:14 PM.

#16 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:49 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 September 2021 - 05:51 PM, said:

D A T A is also at the top end of the food chain so my reply was more aimed at him and the discussion at hand. Part of this discussion has actually been going on the Cauldron discord and more agree that it is fine, that agree it has issues.

I too have used the KDK3 and will probably give it another run soon - I've had no issue using it either in the past however.

Remembering you don't balance from the bottom up. If you give the KDK3 much more than what it has now it'll again be on the verge of the absolute monster it once was. I don't believe the game needs that.

It is no different to the DWF or other 100T mechs. They can either dominate if played well or get destroyed if they do not. At least the KDK can be moving 60km/h+ where the DWF cannot so once in trouble it rarely can get out of it.

Yes the DWF can bring more guns it is as the cost of full exposure where the KDK3 simply does not need to risk that at all.

There is a lot to consider.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think it is unwise to make balancing decisions based in a closed community like Discord (Yes, I understand that anyone is invited blah blah blah etc.) but bear in mind (no Kodiak puns intended) that I had to dig through forum posts just to find that Discord link just to share my thoughts, which ironically were shot down pretty quickly when I proposed my RFL-IIC ideas.

Keep in mind I do understand and not to get too off topic that mech chassis does not need as much attention as other second line fire support mechs, but to make statements like "Oh the IS Rifleman needs more help so let's ignore x problem completely" is not a healthy way to balance the game and make the community simultaneously happy. I sympathize with the Cauldron since I'm not exactly sure if they understood the burden of gaming balance while trying to make everyone happy as well, especially with the recent changes of the reworked maps.

I suggest that PGI/Daeron should do public polls directly from the front of mwomercs.com for proposed balance changes and get more of an active community response based on community voting, via proposed changes to better understand where the Cauldron discord (which imo seemed like an echo chamber). Ask questions like "Did or did you not like the new HPG Manifold changes, and if not please type why or choose from a list of auto generated responses."

I don't want to see a repeat of history with Chris/Paul which has created alot of animosity between the player base and PGI over the years.

#17 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:56 PM

View PostValdarion Silarius, on 07 September 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

I suggest that PGI/Daeron should do public polls directly from the front of mwomercs.com for proposed balance changes and get more of an active community response based on community voting, via proposed changes to better understand where the Cauldron discord (which imo seemed like an echo chamber).

That's exactly what got us the horrible trial mechs that new players were stuck with for YEARS. I'm all for more transparency from the Cauldron but we've witnessed multiple times here that community polls are not in the best interests of the game for decision making.

#18 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 07 September 2021 - 12:18 PM, said:

The biggest reason, at least when the Kodiak was released, was it's ability to mount heavy weapons on the shoulder mounts and peak hills without much exposure, and then finish the enemy off with more armor intact at the end of the game. I really have not seen much of that lately, perhaps due to it's inability to back up into cover fast enough now.

Remember, there was that outstanding UAC 10 bug in play which wasnt generating the Ghost Heat it should have been which PGI never fixed until Kodiak 3 went live with its insane DPS. Direwolf was able to field the same loadout but its performance was nothing compared to the Kodiak, as mentioned, primarily due to the high mounted weapon hardpoints. PGI eventually fixed the UAC 10 bug plus some, then continued to smack all of the kodiaks around. The same way they had neutered the Timberwolf agility. Dont remember if it was before or after the engine desync. Timberwolf was smacked in 2015, engine desync in 2017... Timby wasn't touched again until recently in 2021, softly.

Frak, what I am doing?? I'm no clanner :) May you trashborns end up at the bottom of the dump...

#19 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:27 PM

View PostValdarion Silarius, on 07 September 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

I suggest that PGI/Daeron should do public polls directly from the front of mwomercs.com for proposed balance changes and get more of an active community response based on community voting, via proposed changes to better understand where the Cauldron discord (which imo seemed like an echo chamber). Ask questions like "Did or did you not like the new HPG Manifold changes, and if not please type why or choose from a list of auto generated responses."

Unironically most people are idiots and can't be trusted to make informed balance decisions. While the Cauldron could be considered a gated group whats wrong with that? As long as it has people that can express a variety of opinions and have the skill/knowledge to back that up whats the issue?

Also as a sort of addendum, isn't the purpose of the forums to be able to see player discussion and gauge feedback based upon it? Why dumb it down to a poll?

Edited by My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, 07 September 2021 - 07:28 PM.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:56 PM

a lot of people are still butthurt from the kdk-3 reign of terror, and will proceeded to eviscerate every bear that they see. for awhile i felt like i was getting focused every match just because i was in a kodiak (i play a lot of dires and its a night and day difference how much fire i draw), not because it was a threat like it was back in the 4x uac10 days, but because they feel threatened, even though the mech was nerfed into oblivion.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 September 2021 - 08:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users