5 replies to this topic

#1 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:05 PM

I recently upgraded my pc (cpu, gpu, motherboard, power supply) two days before the July patch and the game played normally. When the July patch went live I found I could only play with arm lock on (arms and torso bound together). If I unbound the arm lock I had a noticeable stuttering effect that became worse with more "action" on the screen around me. I have tried every fix and setting change I could think of to rectify this and sent a video to support but no solution was offered, just a "thanks for letting us know". I thought I would ask the community to see if anyone else has experienced this as playing with arm lock on all the time is a real drag and limits the amount of mechs I can play. Thank god for Warhammers.

My pc: Ryzen 9 5900x, 3070ti, 64gb RAM.

I'm sure it has something to do with that new CPU but I have no issues in any other games. I do VR gaming a lot, MWO is the only non VR game I play.

Fixes I have tried:

- Swapping settings from Very High to Low across the board.
- Playing with the in-game mouse settings
- Trying a different mouse
- Toggling Windows 10 pointer precision option in settings

None of these things have had any effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Until then I curse whenever someone launches a UAV over me.

Wine O

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:01 PM

Just some clarification and some direction.
  • Playing in Full Windowed Mode or Full Screen Mode? If Full Screen go Full Windowed Mode
  • F9 on - when the issue occurs do you see your FPS drop?
  • System Power Options - set to High Performance, and on the Nvidia UI - Power management mode - Max Performance
  • Leave Arm Lock checked by default locked. On keyboard mapping, X out the Arm Lock to remove that key map. Now map Toggle Arm Lock to desired keystroke
  • On the above keymap, if it is already set that way.. what other programs are running which may utilize the that same keystroke(s)?
  • Windows Update also happened. KB5005033 is causing issues with some users (gamers primarily)
  • Steam/Teamspeak/other program overlays running?
  • Are you using any sort of Sound mod for MWO?
  • And have you ran the MWO Repair Toolkit?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 07 September 2021 - 07:03 PM.

#3 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. I went through each of your points.

- I am playing in Full Window mode. The game crashes periodically if I play in the other modes if I alt-click back into the game.

- No FPS drops when the issue happens. Usually in the high 90s.

- I generally use Ultimate Performance power option (once I figured out how to unlock that) but the issue still exists on this option and High Performance

- Arm Lock is checked as default in settings. I have tried starting with it not checked but the issue remains either way. I changed the keystroke I use for arm lock to a couple of other keys but no change.

- I use left shift for arm lock. Can't think of any program that would be using it. It has been my keystroke for arm lock since Beta. I changed it a few times, no change.

- I am not familiar with that Windows Update but Windows Update is the reason I had to buy a new CPU so anything is possible...

- I have Steam overlay on, and Discord running but nothing else.

- No sound mods at present but I used them on my old build (same ones Sean Lang uses on his NGNG stream). Haven't reinstalled them while I have this issue.

- No I haven't run the MWO repair kit but I did a clean reinstall of MWO and Windows. MWO was literally the first and only thing on my PC when the issue occurred after the patch as this was practically a new pc. No effect.

*sigh* When I upgraded my pc I thought I would get more enjoyment out of my games. Thanks for trying though.

Wine O

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:41 AM

is it possible you encounter screen tearing because of your fast camera movement? Limiting the FPS or Vsync might help here.

#5 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:09 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 September 2021 - 12:41 AM, said:

is it possible you encounter screen tearing because of your fast camera movement? Limiting the FPS or Vsync might help here.

Hmm. I'll give this a look later today but it is a good guess. I was only getting 60fps and had to go into my monitor settings to get up to 100. The issue occurred right around that time. Thanks for the suggestion.

#6 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 03:13 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 September 2021 - 12:41 AM, said:

Ok, you get the Gold Star. I looked into this and have something that is workable. My computer IQ is limited so I read up on screen tearing and came across something called Input Lag. I think this describes what was happening a lot better. After an hour of messing with settings in the testing grounds and live games I came up with a set up that is playable. It isn't perfect, but I don't have to keep the arm lock on all the time. I had to turn off Vsync and Motion Blur. All other settings on Very High. That appears to put the arm lock situation in a playable state. Thanks!!

Wine O

btw, this is the article I read and it helped: What Is Screen Tearing And How Do You Fix It? [Simple Guide] (displayninja.com)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users