Cataphract Ctf-3L Build That... Might Actually Be Good?

7 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 08 September 2021 - 12:23 AM

As we understand, the Cataphract has been long outclassed by 'mechs with superior hitboxes, frontal profiles, and hardpoint selection and location. We can't bring back Cataphracts as we knew them, but I think I have possibly reinvented one.

CTF-3L

MASC often seems like a gimmick for heavier 'mechs, and can indeed just be a waste of tonnage, but this puts it to good use by making up for the Cataphract's fragility (ironically a 'mech named after armor itself) by allowing it to simply evade damage by dashing from cover to cover, or simply outrunning other 'mechs with it's MASC + speed tweak speed of 103 kph. It's use of an XL could be perceived as a weakness, but the way I see it, your lifespan is measured in exposure in this 'mech, not just what engine you take. Better to get out of the way than stay around and find out.

For armament it equips a tonnage-friendly but hard-hitting LB-10X and a triplet of snub-nose PPC's, all right sided to make corner peeking and/or shielding with your left arm viable options, especially with the increased acceleration boost given by MASC. An XL340 can be equipped with this build, but I prefer to slightly shave the engine and armor to add two additional double heat sinks to better handle repeated alpha strikes.

Looking at the skill tree, you definitely want to get the nodes for max speed tweak, max out cool run and heat gen nodes, and put the rest into armor hardening for much needed protection.

One thing you could change based on preference is the back armor, as I run 10 to be on the safe side since it's just as easy to shoot this thing in the back. Surviving a dual AC/20 to a rear side torso was my measurement there, but put more up front to your liking.

From experience, albeit a small amount so far, this 'mech is extremely good at closing into brawling distance and taking out 'mechs that can't handle brawling, such as sniper, LRM, or laser vomit, with enough speed to spread damage and get around all angles of the opponent quickly. I've also survived being attacked by 6 enemies by fleeing at top speed without receiving a critical damage warning as I was able to run into cover fast enough, something that wouldn't have happened without MASC. The most damage I've taken in this build so far has been when I was holding down positions and not moving as much, so make sure you put your pedal to the metal in this to maximize your survival.

Edited by MadHornet, 08 September 2021 - 08:16 AM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:05 AM

If I may, I think you can optimize this a bit. I find the XL325 to be a bit oversized. Also your ammo placement is a bit dangerous and can be optimized with the now free CASE.

CTF-3L
A[082:>1|Nd|i^|i^pb0|o?|I@qb0|3I|i^|I@r00s\0|i^|i^|I@t]0u]0|JO|[<2v:0|JOw:0:0:0

I'd use the second high energy hardpoint, but you can of course keep the two arm mounted SNPPCs.

#3 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:07 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 08 September 2021 - 02:05 AM, said:

If I may, I think you can optimize this a bit. I find the XL325 to be a bit oversized. Also your ammo placement is a bit dangerous and can be optimized with the now free CASE.

CTF-3L
A[082:&gt;1|Nd|i^|i^pb0|o?|I@qb0|3I|i^|I@r00s\0|i^|i^|I@t]0u]0|JO|[&lt;2v:0|JOw:0:0:0

I'd use the second high energy hardpoint, but you can of course keep the two arm mounted SNPPCs.

The engine I just wanted to break the 100 kph barrier, if I'm being honest. :P

I had tested the build with all torso mounted weapons before for easy ridge peeking and using arms as shields, but I found it lacked in pitch capability to deal with higher or jump capable 'mechs, so having two snubs on the arm gives it some good capability there.

And the ammo location was a mistake in judgement, had to rush the recreation, oops.

Edited by MadHornet, 08 September 2021 - 08:15 AM.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:27 AM

You have too many energy hardpoints for snubs to be tonnage-optimal IMHO. You can swap two of them for a quartet of medium pulses and save four tons in the process. The spare tonnage can be used to up-armor your limbs and add more heat sinks or bump the engine further.

Edited by Horseman, 17 September 2021 - 12:27 AM.

#5 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:55 PM

View PostHorseman, on 17 September 2021 - 12:27 AM, said:

You have too many energy hardpoints for snubs to be tonnage-optimal IMHO. You can swap two of them for a quartet of medium pulses and save four tons in the process. The spare tonnage can be used to up-armor your limbs and add more heat sinks or bump the engine further.

The idea is having a right-loaded build to corner peek and minimize exposure, along with the instant damage output that further lessens the amount of time you need to face the enemy before twisting and going back into cover. The snubnose PPC's also compliment the LB-10X in splashing and tearing at components.

A lot of this build is about helping the Cataphract not melt in an engagement.

#6 hkk

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts
  • Locationsector 7

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

Both good ideas.

#7 hkk

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts
  • Locationsector 7

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:02 PM

To be honest, I've been away and so many things have changed that my knowledge level is somewhere behind the dumpster out in back of the mech bays.

#8 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:31 PM

New alternative build here, might actually be better. Given a more pin-point damage output and increasing survivability by utilizing a light engine of the same caliber.

CTF-3L

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users