Hpg=Sniper Bowl

63 replies to this topic

#1 mrmike5234

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:52 AM

I used to like HPG even with the nascar.

However I will not vote for it any longer.

The snipers get on the walls and you have two choices:

1) Go under, I never liked this one

2) Spend your time ducking

So now comes the responses with the negativity.

Have at it.

I'm entitled to my opinion.

Have a good day and thank you for your time.

mrmike5234

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:56 AM

HPG needs a complete loop around the outside so you can push the snipers one by one.

#3 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:03 AM

View Postmrmike5234, on 16 September 2021 - 08:52 AM, said:

I used to like HPG even with the nascar.

However I will not vote for it any longer.

The snipers get on the walls and you have two choices:

1) Go under, I never liked this one

2) Spend your time ducking

Have at it.

Have a good day and thank you for your time.

mrmike5234

won't make fun of you here. I'll ask, though, what mechs are you usually playing that you're having trouble with snipers? I can make some suggestions -- generally when I've played it, I haven't had a huge issue with snipers and maybe I can help.

I will say I think there should be ramps on the inside to the walls to help contest snipers

#4 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:34 AM

Ture, just want to ask why start topic #4-#6 on the same subject instead of using one of the still active topics on the exact same thing.

#5 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:55 AM

I somewhat understand the issue. Though way down here at my tier of play snipers usually suck.

The problem for me with the snipers is that they are either way too powerful or a handicap on hpg. If you only have a few snipers they don't have much of an effect on the game, your side gets rolled in the center of the map and the snipers get rushed.

The problem comes if you happen to face a sniper heavy team. In pug play the player coordination simply isn't usually sufficient to successfully rush that number of snipers.

#6 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:10 PM

I play a brawling Atlas and although it can be bad it usually isn't. You need to hug the big pillars in the center and brawl around those until your team dominates the area or dies horribly.

#7 Shaitan Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:27 PM

View PostDont LRM me please, on 16 September 2021 - 12:10 PM, said:

You need to hug the big pillars in the center and brawl around those until your team dominates the area or dies horribly.

This.

Honestly never really had an issue with this. LRMs are usually blocked by the pillars and as long as I dont try and wrap around, the snipers cant aim at me. I personally love the new map since its the only one that I never see nascaring on (because of the potential for snipers)

Edited by Shaitan Kerensky, 16 September 2021 - 03:27 PM.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:07 PM

Lets not confused negativity with reality.

Reality is - it is nowhere near as bad as the people jumping up and down state. Simple as that.

The last guy that did put up 10 games and there was 1-3 guys playing range, just like every game. It is just that some of those range weapons hit a little harder and players need to adapt.

That is about the summary of affairs. I have no issue playing 400-500m weapons on the map.

#9 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:36 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 16 September 2021 - 04:07 PM, said:

Lets not confused negativity with reality. Reality is - it is nowhere near as bad as the people jumping up and down state. Simple as that. The last guy that did put up 10 games and there was 1-3 guys playing range, just like every game. It is just that some of those range weapons hit a little harder and players need to adapt. That is about the summary of affairs. I have no issue playing 400-500m weapons on the map.

I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit. I made that post and in those 10 videos it wasn't that bad. Later in the week there are matches with 3-4 triple ERPPC Vapor Eagles and honestly it can be excruciating.

Edited by Dont LRM me please, 16 September 2021 - 05:43 PM.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:42 PM

3-4 is one more ranged mech than the 1-3 average of most games.

Can't have been too bad if you're managed to go from Tier 2 up into Tier 1.

#11 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:11 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 16 September 2021 - 05:42 PM, said:

3-4 is one more ranged mech than the 1-3 average of most games.

Can't have been too bad if you're managed to go from Tier 2 up into Tier 1.

Yeah I've been doing everything I can to circumvent them. Sometimes I get to kill them. It's just really infuriating when you're traveling or you wanna see what's out there and these guys can deal 30 pinpoint damage and get away with it, and you have no chance for retaliation. It's like when the small kid tries to punch the bully but he holds the kid by the head so the kid can't reach.

Edited by Dont LRM me please, 16 September 2021 - 06:15 PM.

#12 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:21 PM

Sometimes you just get countered, and it's not limited to snipers.

I was in a HBR the other day and came around some corner and what's standing there, gleefully waiting to end my pitiful existence?

Keeper.

RIP.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:21 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 16 September 2021 - 04:07 PM, said:

Lets not confused negativity with reality.

Reality is - it is nowhere near as bad as the people jumping up and down state. Simple as that.

The last guy that did put up 10 games and there was 1-3 guys playing range, just like every game. It is just that some of those range weapons hit a little harder and players need to adapt.

That is about the summary of affairs. I have no issue playing 400-500m weapons on the map.

me neither and i'm no where near as good as you. Get under the decks, get in some lanes and go at it.. Works great if ya ask me. I love how the middle now has 3 complete levels too.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:27 PM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 16 September 2021 - 06:21 PM, said:

Sometimes you just get countered, and it's not limited to snipers.

Exactly. You cannot expect to have matches where this does not happen.

It will happen and it is completely unavoidable - happens for brawlers, happens for long range.
The 400-600m is the 'sweet' spot as it always has been with the least amount of feast/famine generally speaking.

#15 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

Option 3.) Get your own range weapons and join the fun :)

#16 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:28 PM

View PostNightbird, on 16 September 2021 - 08:56 AM, said:

HPG needs a complete loop around the outside so you can push the snipers one by one.

If you have jump jets you can just jump over the gates. It's by no means easy, but it's doable - and even more so with the JJ buff.

#17 Vexistential

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:08 AM

HPG restricts most players to the middle cover/basement thing. It is anti-nascar because of the reality of snipers and their overwhelming field of view and the difficulty in contesting them. It is the most restrictive and most unfun map that I have (unfortunately) extensive experience with in my short time playing this game. [opinion alert]

I am only a tier 4 pilot currently, so it could be that is the problem. But, it is my opinion that HPG reduces nascar by specifically being the most limiting map. You can nascar on other maps, but it isn't necessary. You can nascar when it is a good idea, or you can nascar when it isn't and run into a firing line. You can abandon your slowbois and suffer for it.

Not in HPG. No, your slowbois WILL stay in the middle, and so will you, cause anything else is stupid unless you have all the walls covered and suppressed or won.

HPG Reborn is specifically anti nascar, until it isn't and the opposing snipers are gone. Then you can nascar all you want. Problem is, the snipers have +100% sniper effectiveness and +100% map control until they are gone (numbers just a random *** pull please don't take them literally: they are probably greater). HPG is the most confined and limited map, up there with only the viridian bog and its dueling plateaus in my short experience. [opinion alert]

I enjoy most maps and would rate them as a good 7/10 or more. I would give Viridian Bog a 5 or 6 out of 10. HPG is currently at a 0/10 for me. [opinion... you get it, right?]

Maybe it will grow on me, but it is currently keeping me away from the game with its popularity.

I am a new player to this game, brought over by MW5 on steam and Baradul's YT channel, so I'd ask you to be mindful of that when responding. I am, as the original poster was, just giving my opinion.

And here is my opinion for now:

HPG needs for the entire wall to be more accessible, whether it is inside and out ramps for all walls, or bridges across the inside/out walls we have now. Removing much of the cover on the walls and making them wider would probably make light mechs job easier in pushing larger mechs out (don't forget the ramps/bridges). Alternatively, you could make the walls more narrow, while removing much of the cover to make the control of the walls even more of a factor, in a way that will dictate loadouts for anyone looking to win the map (the walls just became a big hill to peak over, with near total field of view of the inside of the map, instead of both a hill and a wall, with near total field of view). I don't like this idea, but at least it will make the map parameters more obvious to everyone. [opinion, you know the drill]

#18 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:26 AM

^^agree that the wall needs inside ramps. What are you typically running when you get HPG? Lots of good options to contest snipers or chase them off the wall that I can suggest

#19 Vexistential

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:56 AM

When I take my direwolf with six ac/2s and a bunch of small pulse/micro ER lasers I generally do fine on HPG, I'm just stuck to the middle (cause I'm not taking my bulk off the frontline, and I'm not going up to the walls in the whale... or on principle :D ). I generally do fine on this build all the time, even though I don't have the ultraviolet pods for the 8 ac/2s. This build does well on everything, though I changed to this loadout specifically for HPG, and i'm not a fan of the ac/2playstyle, although it is quite effective at most ranges with the laser backup.

If I take my pulse timberwolf I can poke people with some large pulse lasers and make them wary, but its not enough to change the flow of the game. I might try putting on C-ER mediums instead of medium pulse, but, I'd rather not have to change all of my builds for one single map, and the ER mediums likely wouldn't do more than tickle anyone on the wall in a lot of cases.

If I take my piranha.... Well, I can get stuck in some crappy glitched spots and get stuck in the map... or, I can try to hang out and pick off the weak targets and hope my team has suppressed the enemies on the wall.

I have not had good luck pushing snipers off the wall in the piranha, both because it takes so long to get up there, and also because the confined spaces of the wall are not super great for lights. I'm not entirely sure where the idea that lights can push bigger mechs off the wall easily came from, but being a light with no JJs just leaves me wasting a bunch of time getting to the right wall (and maybe exposing myself to a lot of enemy fire), then a very, very narrow margin for error in evading return fire and getting my damage in. Narrow margins on the wall for a mech moving, and needing to move, at ~140kph at least.

My Shadowhawk from the free event is just running MRM40/3Mlasers and doesn't have the range to do much to snipers. I'm uninclined to change its loadout cause I rather like it for pretty much every other map.

The few other mechs I have I haven't been using much recently. My UM-R63 is one mech I haven't taken to the walls so far... at least it has the JJs to move around and all that. The urbie might be able to a bit better in the confined space of the wall than the piranha, but... yeah. I guess it does have JJs to brag about on HPG!

I'd love to hear your thoughts, but one of my big problems is that I really don't like the idea of changing my entire build and playstyle in the chance that I get one map. I did that for the direwolf and I think its a very strong build on most maps, but I find myself using that mech less and less cause I just don't enjoy the ac2s very much. This is a big reason I say HPG is the most restrictive map I'm familiar with.

#20 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:03 AM

There's only 1-3 snipers in game.
One guy posted some videos, so that's the global average 24/7 for all games.

The cauldron isn't wrong, you are.
Your perception is skewed, your experience is invalid, and you need to change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users