57 replies to this topic

#1 This Crit is Bananas BANANAS

• PipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:00 PM

Regards,

It recently came up that a number of us really miss "the good ol' days" of playing quick play matches with a bunch of our friends. So, I'd like to know if/when it could be possible to release the cap on the size of groups in quick play, or even amend it to account for all of the new and returning players. There seems to be more games going on per day/night these days, and the game could benefit from this attempt.

I'm sure there will be tons of feedback as it pertains to amending a system to allow for a more balanced experience, we all know it's incoming, and even who some will be to write them up.

But, for now, a simpler solution? One of any of the following; bring back the old system, when the game had enough of a player base (because it seems to) and either 1 - allow this at all times, or, restrict it to "popular" time stamps for weekends or something to that extent so as to allow groups larger than 4 to enter the queue at restricted dates/times.

I also thought about how there could be an attempt to port over those "restrictions" as made in the Comp queue, currently. These restrictions include a harsher tonnage restriction per player, a minimum requirement for each weight class, and no duplicate chassis. So - under these restrictions you can further "restrict" a group larger than 4 players by "forcing" them not to all bring the same mech for meme purposes or whatever other reason, and to use their tonnage/other choices wisely to off-set the fact that they are expectedly more coordinated and/or using voice communication.

With that said - it could just as well be as simple to open the flood gates and see what happens. I have asked numerous teams what they think about only allowing 1 four man per team - and they HATE it. They hate being capped at 4 players knowing that they have 5 - 12 online and they also HATE the fact that it means that the only option to play together is to run a try hard Faction drop.

Thinking back to somewhere around last year, when the game was nearly dead, and we defibbed it by running 25x4 man lances on our server, it felt fantastic to finally get the group queue spinning with 2 games at a time. But part of that fun was being able to still -possibly- have a 8 or 12 man of your unit versus another team 4, 8, or even 12 - of another. Yes, we scienced the 4 man thing to make matches faster and easier and it worked, and yes, it runs the possibility of running against quality groups of in mass, but it would still be a step in the right direction. Anyway, I digress. I would simply love to see the cap on 4 mans not be a thing, and the possibility of having more than one 4 man per team, again.

At minimum, maybe schedule a weekend or 2 (or an entire month) where the old method is put back in place ............and see how it goes?

Thanks in advance,

Blood

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:04 PM

No.

Even if we got our beloved 8v8 GQ back I still wouldn't want group sizes larger than 4.

FP is for big groups, and there's nothing "tryhard" about it.

View PostThe Blood Eagle, on 16 September 2021 - 06:00 PM, said:

Thinking back to somewhere around last year, when the game was nearly dead, and we defibbed it by running 25x4 man lances on our server, it felt fantastic to finally get the group queue spinning with 2 games at a time. But part of that fun was being able to still -possibly- have a 8 or 12 man of your unit versus another team 4, 8, or even 12 - of another. Yes, we scienced the 4 man thing to make matches faster and easier and it worked, and yes, it runs the possibility of running against quality groups of

Funny, I remember you whining and bitching on multiple discords last year when quality opponents dared to drop against you guys.

Edited by John Bronco, 16 September 2021 - 06:17 PM.

#3 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:21 PM

Shortest route to getting group queue back is to increase the size of the player base. Post online, invite your friends, get people to play the game again.

Barring that, it's unlikely, as the population is too small.

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:24 PM

View PostGoodTry, on 16 September 2021 - 06:21 PM, said:

Shortest route to getting group queue back is to increase the size of the player base. Post online, invite your friends, get people to play the game again.

Barring that, it's unlikely, as the population is too small.

Yup get people playing.. I started playing MW5 with a few people.. 2 of them are now also playing MWO and enjoying it. :)

So i went from 1 person to 3.. If everyone can do that.. we would be in a really good place.

#5 Vectoron The Black Minister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:25 PM

I support the idea of allowing larger teams into QP. I think keeping the Soup Queue is fine so long as we are able to bring in more of our own guys as we want. This obviously means opening the queue the same way FW handles it.

Frankly, I really don't care if we fight extremely powerful enemies in larger groups somewhat regularly. I want to play with all of my friends, not just a few. I'm willing to take that risk. As it stands, we are seeing extremely one sided matches often enough. I don't think limited group sizes will change that. Besides, I can be out of that match quickly and into another game soon enough.

There are enough of us out there who want the ability to play with all of our friends, but don't have the time or desire to play FW. This is game based around teamwork and coordination. Though this limiting business feels like it punishes players who wish to experience that. It also punishes units for having more than 4 people on regularly, but less than 12.

Furthermore, FP is for BIG GROUPS with BIG TIME on their hands. Please do remember that.

#6 Toast3r

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:45 PM

This is an awful idea. Just play faction if you want to bring more than 4 in the same group. It's not great, but removing the qp group cap would just allow teams to stomp even more frequently.

#7 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:53 PM

I don't think the positive consequences of this change would out-weigh its negatives.

#8 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:56 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 16 September 2021 - 06:53 PM, said:

I don't think the positive consequences of this change would out-weigh its negatives.

I always push back against people that blame groups in the queue, and I always will, however, given the relatively small pool of players and the difficulties the matchmaker can sometimes have even with the more open queue, pushing up that group limit is probably not a great idea.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:02 PM

Given how often groups come up as the topic of discussion and not generally in a good way...

I cannot see how increasing the group cap would lead to any those issues being addressed. It would serve to make groups more oppressive upon the SoloQ than they already are.

MWO does not need groups larger than 4mans in the Solo/Merged Queue, not ever.

Also bringing back GroupQ without a larger population won't fix anything. All that will happen is over time (3-6-9 months) the GroupQ will again die out which is the reason why the Solo/Small Group merge occurred in the first place. The population in 2017 was not enough for GroupQ to exist and the population isn't at that level now... So...Pretty clear it's dead in the water before it begins.

View PostThe Blood Eagle, on 16 September 2021 - 06:00 PM, said:

Thinking back to somewhere around last year, when the game was nearly dead, and we defibbed it by running 25x4 man lances on our server, it felt fantastic to finally get the group queue spinning with 2 games at a time. But part of that fun was being able to still -possibly- have a 8 or 12 man of your unit versus another team 4, 8, or even 12 - of another.

The old "Group Queue Night" - lasted about 4-6 weeks before fizzling out if my memory is correct. That should be enough proof there that this will not add anything of value and overall will do more harm than good by adding more buckets.

More buckets = bad.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

only if we can also ban teams from faction.

yes this is a troll post.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 September 2021 - 07:16 PM.

#11 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:18 PM

PGI killed population when they went to a 4-man cap the first time. Biggest mistake they ever made. This last time was also a killer. I want to play with more people, bottom line. I also want more impact on the outcome of a match, so I want 8v8. The two weeks we had were great, brought people in, and we'd have overflow. Now, not so much. Whatever it is, it sucks now, and the number of games I play now reflect that....and also the number of dollars I spend.

#12 Vectoron The Black Minister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:21 PM

I agree that adding buckets is a really bad choice. I also wasn't aware that the population numbers WERE NOT on par with 2017. A word down the grapevine had told me that it had been EXCEEDED.

It just sucks that in the meantime all we got is FW for anything above 4 players. I personally dislike having to either sub out my guys or sit in a REALLY long queue for one game that lasts up to 30 minutes for something not everyone wants to do or has the time for.

Frankly, I don't like FW in its present state. The matches take too long. I actually find matches of QP to be more enjoyable because of their duration and how quickly we can get to the next match, and if I'm in a bad match - it doesn't usually take a year for it to finish.

This is a bucket idea so feel free to kick it (hah) ... what about group queue that was only 8v8 to allow for more groups to launch? Do we have population for that at all?

(Edit) Looks like I'm not the only one who sees 8v8 as a possibly viable option.

Edited by Vectoron The Black Minister, 16 September 2021 - 07:23 PM.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:35 PM

way i see it is if these players have so many friends and are so organized then surely they could do scheduled 12v12 in custom games.

im even totally for a massive redux of the custom game system to not only make it easier to set up and join custom games, but also add a ton of features. any mode (even retired), any map (even retired), decks or no, any time limit (including endless attrition matches with a 2 hour clock), arbitrary mech/weapon restrictions, ability to import and export lobby configs, and most importantly a lobby browser.

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:49 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 September 2021 - 07:35 PM, said:

way i see it is if these players have so many friends and are so organized then surely they could do scheduled 12v12 in custom games.

Doesn't really work like this. Really hard to get so many people on at the same time. Even in the good days you start a day with 2 people and more come in as you play the night. You might end up with few 12 man teams.Then at the end people drop off one by one.

If we had programming anymore I would ask for a cap of 8 and put 4 on each side.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 16 September 2021 - 09:50 PM.

#15 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:45 PM

Fully support getting rid of the four man cap, lets throw it out and set it at a zero man cap. No group of any size in QP.

#16 Bamboozle Gold

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:23 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 September 2021 - 09:49 PM, said:

If we had programming anymore I would ask for a cap of 8 and put 4 on each side.

If you're happy playing against your buddies then just do 2 4 mans and sync drop. Or did I misunderstand?

#17 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:51 PM

View PostVectoron The Black Minister, on 16 September 2021 - 07:21 PM, said:

I agree that adding buckets is a really bad choice. I also wasn't aware that the population numbers WERE NOT on par with 2017. A word down the grapevine had told me that it had been EXCEEDED.

It just sucks that in the meantime all we got is FW for anything above 4 players. I personally dislike having to either sub out my guys or sit in a REALLY long queue for one game that lasts up to 30 minutes for something not everyone wants to do or has the time for.

Frankly, I don't like FW in its present state. The matches take too long. I actually find matches of QP to be more enjoyable because of their duration and how quickly we can get to the next match, and if I'm in a bad match - it doesn't usually take a year for it to finish.

This is a bucket idea so feel free to kick it (hah) ... what about group queue that was only 8v8 to allow for more groups to launch? Do we have population for that at all?

(Edit) Looks like I'm not the only one who sees 8v8 as a possibly viable option.

You are seeing 8 v 8 as an option because you are refusing to read the majority of posts saying "NO".

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:56 PM

Absolute NO to groups of more than 4 in Soup Queue we have enough game modes available for this. If event queues eventually become a thing, ok, but not in everyday's QP.

#19 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:57 PM

View PostOrbit Rain, on 16 September 2021 - 07:18 PM, said:

PGI killed population when they went to a 4-man cap the first time. Biggest mistake they ever made. This last time was also a killer. I want to play with more people, bottom line. I also want more impact on the outcome of a match, so I want 8v8. The two weeks we had were great, brought people in, and we'd have overflow. Now, not so much. Whatever it is, it sucks now, and the number of games I play now reflect that....and also the number of dollars I spend.

Biggest mistake was combining the queues, not restricting group sizes; however, it was as a result of constant stomps by the bigger groups against the smaller ones, the decline in numbers in general and this insistence on trying to move to match sizes that only the minority ever vocalise in the forums.

PGI NEEDS to focus on improving MWO (Not MW5 or PS5 versions) to build up the long term player base that brings in a sustained income rather than mediocre bumps of it.

You need to think about the population as a whole, not just what you want or enjoy, otherwise you can be certain numbers will continue to drop and MWO will close.

Please bring constructive ideas for the whole of the player base.

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:01 AM

pgi needs to make money. they can do it by catering to a bunch of grognards who would undermine each other to get their changes pushed into the game at the expense of the others. or they can make it selling mechwarrior on as many platforms as possible and potentially bring in new blood, which will flow back into mwo. also, if there is going to be a mwo2, and were talking really long term here, mw5 is going be its foundation. so it needs to succeed. dlc funds the asset conversions and eventually the entire mwo library will be ported at which point the possibility of mwo2 exists.

now the best thing us grognards can do is not try to undermine eachother. we all play the game for different reasons. finding common ground is important. fp is the model of what happens to qp if unlimited groups are permitted. the remaining casuals will leave in droves and a lot of groups will find themselves alone at the top of a heap of mechscrap with ginormous wait times and steep skill curves, and also left to foot the bill lest the game servers be pulled. and restricting groups more is also bad, as they are the ones most passionate about the game, to the point of actively trying to bring people in.

the one lance rule was a concession casuals made to help preserve the rest of the game. it may have cause a lot of stomps, but there is discussion about how to mitigate that. they also made the concession that fp go to the high skill teams, even though its the most fun mode if you manage to actually populate it with casuals. teams made the concession that the group queue got removed and the one lance rule also restricts them. now if you are a snowflake on either side of this argument, then custom games are available if you can find like minded players. when players tear down the walls you get things like the cauldron that actually improve the game. its the only way to keep this old stalwart alive until the possibility of mwo2 comes into existence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users