Be Your Own Matchmaker?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:10 AM

Right now, we are limited to 4 man groups. You can do a 3 man and a 2 man and possibly get in the same match, but tier levels or luck of the draw might break that.

How about a group window that does a Team A and Team B like a lobby. The players get to group and match skills on their own. We know our skills better than the matchmaker ever could. No matter if it is 1v1 all the way to 12v12 with no more than a 1 man discrepancy in team members. No more 4 man limit for the group. You all drop and solo queue fills in the rest to make 12v12. We would not have to limit the groups and the skill/ton levels would be good before the solos get dropped in.

Your unit can be on Discord and just use Push To Mute, so that when one team talks in Game Comms, the other side doesn't hear. Both sides can still be in Discord chat together and having a great time. The matchmaking would be as good as it can get and better than what we have now. You could do all one unit, or get friends from another unit and play against each other. You would still have 12v12 matches, because the matchmaker would fill in the missing with solo players.

This still might not be perfect, but it should be doable and better than what we have now. The team windows could have a tonnage discrepancy limit, but that would only count until the solo players are dropped in. Once queued in, it would still be just like what we have now. The only thing that would have to change would be the group window and limits.

Everyone would not have to be in the same unit. You could have two units in one Discord and one group window. You could have a blast with this anytime, because Team A and Team B would be guaranteed to be in the same match.

With this feature, you might solo into a game with one of the elite units, but they would always be spread across both teams, unless they were in a group with another unit.

#2 Grey1

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:40 PM

This would allow a group of friends to play together without trying to sync drop. This would also expose solo quick play players to units they might like to join and improve the playing experience in the game.

#3 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:32 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts? What negatives are there? Are those negatives fixable? Ways to make it better?

#4 KMA DOC

Rookie

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:22 PM

I VOTE YES

#5 laughingbear

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:24 PM

I vote yes

#6 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:59 AM

The only issue with this would be when a group of friends decides to just stomp the QP queue... not intentionally always, but because they want to play together more than against each other. If the player count was higher or it could be limited to peak play times, it wouldn't be bad, but as is, I don't see this as a good idea. It COULD improve things, but it also could be very easily abused too. Honestly, I do like fighting against 12-man groups from time to time just because, but too many other players get instant morale deprivation (Which IS a factor) just by seeing they're up against a 12-man.

#7 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:46 AM

View PostGhoja, on 05 October 2021 - 02:59 AM, said:

The only issue with this would be when a group of friends decides to just stomp the QP queue... not intentionally always, but because they want to play together more than against each other. If the player count was higher or it could be limited to peak play times, it wouldn't be bad, but as is, I don't see this as a good idea. It COULD improve things, but it also could be very easily abused too. Honestly, I do like fighting against 12-man groups from time to time just because, but too many other players get instant morale deprivation (Which IS a factor) just by seeing they're up against a 12-man.

The group would be on both sides, equally. You would not be able to form a 12 man group. You would form a 6v6 group and the match maker would fill in the last 12 players.

#8 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 01:05 AM

It might work out, but unless it was a separate QP category, it would also increase the wait time for matches (of solo players) because the MM would have to wait for the groups to set themselves up. Honestly, I'm not completely against the idea, but I am putting forth issues that would have to be considered for something like this to work out.

#9 StankDog the damp

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:46 AM

View PostGhoja, on 11 October 2021 - 01:05 AM, said:

It might work out, but unless it was a separate QP category, it would also increase the wait time for matches (of solo players) because the MM would have to wait for the groups to set themselves up. Honestly, I'm not completely against the idea, but I am putting forth issues that would have to be considered for something like this to work out.

I don't see how it would increase wait times. Your group would not queue up until you have your group ready. Then both sides would drop into the match maker.

Sorry, I realized that I am logged in as my alt.

#10 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:08 AM

View PostSpare Knight, on 18 September 2021 - 10:10 AM, said:

The players get to group and match skills on their own. We know our skills better than the matchmaker ever could.

*canned laughter*
No, dude, there are players and entire units who are completely delusional about their competency and capabilities.

#11 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:39 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 October 2021 - 06:08 AM, said:

*canned laughter*
No, dude, there are players and entire units who are completely delusional about their competency and capabilities.

You are wrong. I'm obviously the best player in the game. Watch as I round this corner and

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users