Light 'mech Positivity Thread! Light Queue Resurrection!

62 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:01 PM

It's like a taste of the good 'ol days now, when lights actually occupied a meaningful percent of the 'mechs in matches, and with buffs some of them actually perform better (but not yet ideally). Honestly I would rather have another rescale, generally shrinking ALL 'mechs including lights as I think they are oversized to begin with, which would benefit lights better than just slapping more armor on, but so far this solution has done some good work in helping lights become somewhat relevant again.

I actually picked up some Locusts again after multiple years of abandoning them and been having a blast with the 1V in particular with a single LPL with -62% cooldown and -50% duration, making it optimal for quick pokes, with the added armor helping it take a couple hits in case I slip up. The 3S now has ammo and cooldown quirks that make it a formidable hit-and-run 4xSRM-2 harasser, which I've seen some effectiveness in, which cannot be said for the majority of it's existence in MWO.

How has your experience changed fellow light pilots? It's great to have some significance again.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

positivity? you do know this is the internet? right?

re-re scale, ok, i guess perhaps limited to underperforming 35 tonners. 30 tonners are excellent right now. and the smaller mechs never really got hit that hard in the rescale. enough players have trouble hitting 20 and 25 tonners where i think those mechs may very well be the perfect size.

frankly im happy with the current level of wolfpacking in the game. the cauldron patch really brought that out. it took a few days for people to realize they could use that to counter all the snipers. after spending yesterday working on a sniper build, the number of times i had encounters with wolf packs was roughly equal to the number of times i had great games with the same mech (it was a black lanner a built like a worse ppc scat so great game is a very relative term).

#3 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:35 PM

Light 'Mechs, previously, had absolutely no ability to insist on an engagement. They couldn't press, they couldn't try and bull through opposition to force a kill. Now? A few of them can, at certain times and within some pretty harsh limits. But they've gotten enough armor, enough ammo reserves in the case of a few of the really bad TT-crippled models, and overall just enough endurance that a skilled pilot who picks their moment well can insist on an engagement. You no longer have to be Robit Jesus to stick out an engagement in a light and duel someone to the victory. People aren't used to it, and folks who've been used to treating light 'Mechs as flotsam are having a rough time indeed adjusting to the idea that light 'Mechs are now valid combatants.

I've gotten so many 500+-damage games on my Meth Lynx recently I'm starting to wonder if I'm cheating somehow, but then I realize that this little machine-gun terrormonkey has the same DPS...as one single RAC/5. At a distance of 106 meters. Yeah sure, it's got a brace of HSLs to open its own wounds with, but it's still an amount of firepower that would be considered entirely unremarkable on any Sphere medium. Which I can confirm, since a similar build on the Arrow feels like refried ********. Don't do it.

But yeah. For all the carping and harping and complaints and salt-mining, ye know what I've realized? Lights are good. That's it. Lights are good. Not phenomenal. Not overpowered. Not outrageous. Just good. Fly a light well, it'll reward you. And furthermore, lights are good. You can drive them without fear of letting your team down. Or rather, if you let your team down it's on you, not on the 'Mech.

It's a good place to be. I like it. The higher presence of light 'Mechs means more mobile games, and the more movement I see in my MWO matches, the happier I am.

#4 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:54 PM

Im, personally, loving the shock factor that the lights buff has brought about. Its made people appreciate dedicated light hunters a lot more.

#5 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 September 2021 - 05:15 PM, said:

positivity? you do know this is the internet? right?

Lights get whole threads for hating them too much, just switching it around for once :P

View Post1453 R, on 25 September 2021 - 05:35 PM, said:

It's a good place to be. I like it. The higher presence of light 'Mechs means more mobile games, and the more movement I see in my MWO matches, the happier I am.

Certainly. The increase of lights has made it easier to go out ahead of the team and do some damage since you're no longer a solo target, and the buffs have made it a bit more forgiving to do some more bold moves with your wolfpack.

#6 Commoners

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:08 PM

I legitimately enjoy seeing players like Crus Vult and Tunafist that are almost always in their lights just ripping things apart. It's especially comforting having them on the team and knowing that they'll come running to help you from across the map if you make a call for light support regardless of what weight class of mech you're running.

Always a joy to see the pilots like them dropping in matches and knowing that there'll be lights going ham on people.

#7 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:33 PM

Until the is Jenners get their pre-2016 re-scale size restored 35ts are still inferior to 20ts.

#8 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:36 PM

I like it a lot. From both the perspective of the light pilot and the light hunter, it's a good time to be playing. Some real visceral fights thanks to the buffs all around. Rescale will help even more, and not just for the lights, everyone will likely get smaller. I am excite.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:59 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 25 September 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

Until the is Jenners get their pre-2016 re-scale size restored 35ts are still inferior to 20ts.

i do like my fury with its dual uac5s.

#10 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 11:46 PM

What's not to like on the Javelin? Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder how many players have them in their 'Mechbays, without using them just once.

#11 Bamboozle Gold

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:12 AM

I've been very much enjoying my Urbie K-9 with RAC5 and two MLs. I also have a Mist Lynx with HLL and 3 ERML which is also a lot of fun.

For my knife fighting I run a PI-Cipher but I don't enjoy it so much. Takes a lot of concentration and it's just hard work unless you've got a friend or two also doing similar builds.

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:48 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 25 September 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

Jenner gets smaller --> all 35 ton mechs get better? Posted Image

PS. but yeah would be nice to take jenners out of the stables for a looooong time without knowing even before match starts that I'm gonna die by FAT CT and stupidly quick.

Edited by Curccu, 27 September 2021 - 02:49 AM.

#13 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:18 PM

View PostCurccu, on 27 September 2021 - 02:48 AM, said:

Jenner gets smaller --> all 35 ton mechs get better? Posted Image

PS. but yeah would be nice to take jenners out of the stables for a looooong time without knowing even before match starts that I'm gonna die by FAT CT and stupidly quick.

Makes me wonder why they slashed armor from the arms and placed it on the side torsos, I think that was the least of the 'mechs problems.

Edited by MadHornet, 28 September 2021 - 05:19 PM.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:49 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 28 September 2021 - 05:18 PM, said:

Makes me wonder why they slashed armor from the arms and placed it on the side torsos, I think that was the least of the 'mechs problems.

i think the jenner problem could be fixed with a big fat ct armor quirk. no changes to the rest of the armor.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:56 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 September 2021 - 05:49 PM, said:

i think the jenner problem could be fixed with a big fat ct armor quirk. no changes to the rest of the armor.

Only if it had urbie level armor or a combination of urb and pnt armor. Jenners can't our dps or out alpha a fle/lct/pir2 yet a certain some one believes that mobility alone makes them better. Five years going on six and still no reversion and no reason for me to bother using anything but the replacement mechs which are 5 to 15 tons lighter but some how better in every way.

#16 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:52 AM

They could give same amount extra CT armor to jenner as Urbies have overall Posted Image.

#17 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 886 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:45 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 September 2021 - 11:46 PM, said:

What's not to like on the Javelin? Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder how many players have them in their 'Mechbays, without using them just once.

I won one with the Arctic lolCat. Armed with 2 LPPCs. Used three times before shoved it. I have frequent lags what incompatible with light mechs... What is a shame since I love my Ebon Dragoon and Arctic lolCat (because I killed Archer with it, so lolCat may not such a lolCat).

As for general?
With lights I s**k like a sl**ty b!**h. As of opponents? Frightening in good hands and FP usually full of such good hands.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:51 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 28 September 2021 - 08:56 PM, said:

Only if it had urbie level armor or a combination of urb and pnt armor. Jenners can't our dps or out alpha a fle/lct/pir2 yet a certain some one believes that mobility alone makes them better. Five years going on six and still no reversion and no reason for me to bother using anything but the replacement mechs which are 5 to 15 tons lighter but some how better in every way.

i think a ct armor buff would just make people target legs instead, and then it would die as fast as any other light. perhaps everything but the jenner iic (not the alternate variants though) which can still pack a 72 point alpha with a 6x6 srm configuration, that one ought to be fragile. if the jenner was meant to be fast instead, then give it a little free speed tweak (on the assumption that anything in the skill tree can be a quirk) so i dont have to put all the tonnage into the engine.

come on cauldron, make the jenner great again.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 September 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:31 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 September 2021 - 06:51 PM, said:

i think a ct armor buff would just make people target legs instead, and then it would die as fast as any other light. perhaps everything but the jenner iic (not the alternate variants though) which can still pack a 72 point alpha with a 6x6 srm configuration, that one ought to be fragile. if the jenner was meant to be fast instead, then give it a little free speed tweak (on the assumption that anything in the skill tree can be a quirk) so i dont have to put all the tonnage into the engine.

come on cauldron, make the jenner great again.

People should be targeting the legs any way. Not just on the giant ct ***** of a mech jenner but against all the lights' legs since that makes them only go 40-50kph and if you can't kill a legged light going that slow well you've got more problems than the size of a light mech. Clan 2cs lights and the Oxide have barley enough alpha these days. 40 is the minimal you need now to be competitive against the other weight classes. The 24-32 or 36 if you really gimp the jr7-d is just so meh. It almost suffers as much as the pnts or hbks rt in that you lose the vast majoriy of your fire power once the rt/arm(s) are shot off.

The Oxide has the armor plus skill tree to keep it going. Look how long I and others had to ***** and moan just to raise the arm armor from a 14 to 24. I'll take any lct over and jr7 because I know how worthless and free kill that jr7 is going to be regardless of build because I've done them all from closed beta to when I quit playing.

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 04:20 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 01 October 2021 - 01:31 PM, said:

People should be targeting the legs any way. Not just on the giant ct ***** of a mech jenner but against all the lights' legs since that makes them only go 40-50kph and if you can't kill a legged light going that slow well you've got more problems than the size of a light mech. Clan 2cs lights and the Oxide have barley enough alpha these days. 40 is the minimal you need now to be competitive against the other weight classes. The 24-32 or 36 if you really gimp the jr7-d is just so meh. It almost suffers as much as the pnts or hbks rt in that you lose the vast majoriy of your fire power once the rt/arm(s) are shot off.

The Oxide has the armor plus skill tree to keep it going. Look how long I and others had to ***** and moan just to raise the arm armor from a 14 to 24. I'll take any lct over and jr7 because I know how worthless and free kill that jr7 is going to be regardless of build because I've done them all from closed beta to when I quit playing.

i like to aim about hip level. so if you miss the leg there is a good chance of hitting the ct. i also like to take back shots on fleeing light mechs, thats usually a one hitter.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 October 2021 - 04:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users