Srm Brawler Recommendation?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Sparky

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:04 PM

Hello! Don't know where to post this stuff so I'll leave it here. I've returned recently for some stompy robot action, played some matches on some of my favorite builds already, tried something a bit different and I've got this feeling for a while where I'd love a SRM brawler of some sorts and I don't know what to pick. What would you guys recommend? Preferably IS medium or heavy. So far I've been eyeing Orion ON1-VA, Dervish DV-6M, Trebuchet TBT-5N and Quickdraw QKD-4H for that purpose.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:24 PM

View PostOld_Sparky, on 29 September 2021 - 08:04 PM, said:

Hello! Don't know where to post this stuff so I'll leave it here. I've returned recently for some stompy robot action, played some matches on some of my favorite builds already, tried something a bit different and I've got this feeling for a while where I'd love a SRM brawler of some sorts and I don't know what to pick. What would you guys recommend? Preferably IS medium or heavy. So far I've been eyeing Orion ON1-VA, Dervish DV-6M, Trebuchet TBT-5N and Quickdraw QKD-4H for that purpose.

There are two things that you should consider:

1. The current meta has moved towards mid- and long-range sniping, especially in higher Tiers. SRM brawling is not as viable as it used to be.

2. If you have really returned after a long pause, you are probably in Tier 5, i.e. a place, where you can still have some success with SRMs. That ON1-VA has some viability with AC-20, 4*SRM-6(with Artemis IV).Put Light 300-rated engine in it

3. I would avoid Trebuchet and Quickdraw, while that Dervish should be possible.

4. Assassin and Hero Vulcan are good SRM 'Mechs, but more suitable for hit-and-run action than classical brawling. Of course there are many other SRM-capable 'Mechs.

4. What about Clan 'Mechs?

#3 Old_Sparky

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:55 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 September 2021 - 08:24 PM, said:

There are two things that you should consider:

1. The current meta has moved towards mid- and long-range sniping, especially in higher Tiers. SRM brawling is not as viable as it used to be.

2. If you have really returned after a long pause, you are probably in Tier 5, i.e. a place, where you can still have some success with SRMs. That ON1-VA has some viability with AC-20, 4*SRM-6(with Artemis IV).Put Light 300-rated engine in it

3. I would avoid Trebuchet and Quickdraw, while that Dervish should be possible.

4. Assassin and Hero Vulcan are good SRM 'Mechs, but more suitable for hit-and-run action than classical brawling. Of course there are many other SRM-capable 'Mechs.

4. What about Clan 'Mechs?

1. Yes, I've noticed that, most of my mechs utilize some form of mid/long range weaponry.

2. I've returned mid-August and currently on T4 getting really close to T3.

3. Part of me wants to ask why but I feel like the answer is incredibly obvious.

4. I don't plan to spend cash or MCs on hero mechs but I'll keep Assassin in mind.

5. Last time I was spending alot of time and energy on Clan mechs everything felt easier, hated how some mechs/pods have their criticals permanently mounted and I've grown to enjoy IS mechs alot more.

#4 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

Acknowledging what you said about preferring IS mechs, but here is a clanner. I have about a 2.2 K/D over about 100 games with it. It is my favorite simple straightforward SRM brawler that I use. I don't have to think about any compromises, weird convergence, armor taken off appendages, etc.

HBK-IIC-B XL275 SRM brawler

Skill Tree (made a long time ago, probably not optimized): a7f3df8015e000100b0cfc3c3bc737c1cf6ff3200d80e730e000000000000

Gets 89/95 kph before/after speed tweak. Nearly full armor. Plenty of jump. The convergence with the shoulder mounts and Artemis is the chef's kiss. Unlike many other splat builds, you can pretty much cannon people's CTs without face hugging.
The build isn't gospel or anything, so feel free to swap things around.

With my current skill tree, CT has a total of 86 armor, ST totals 67.

The Arctic Wolf is more popular these days, and can be quite devastating, but I can't speak to it out of experience.

Edited by Moldur, 29 September 2021 - 09:45 PM.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

View PostOld_Sparky, on 29 September 2021 - 08:55 PM, said:

1. Yes, I've noticed that, most of my mechs utilize some form of mid/long range weaponry.

Sometimes you just have to wait a few minutes after the deployment before you can start brawling.

2. I've returned mid-August and currently on T4 getting really close to T3.

Good.

3. Part of me wants to ask why but I feel like the answer is incredibly obvious.

I have always considered their profile too wide for short range brawling where you eat a lot of fire.

4. I don't plan to spend cash or MCs on hero mechs but I'll keep Assassin in mind.

Assassin is currently on sale.

5. Last time I was spending alot of time and energy on Clan mechs everything felt easier, hated how some mechs/pods have their criticals permanently mounted and I've grown to enjoy IS mechs alot more.

These days IS and Clan are more balanced. Even among Clan 'Mechs you can find some short range brawlers. But if you prefer the Inner Sphere, it is O.K.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:12 PM

If you want the best of both worlds, you can take a hybrid assault mech. like this Cyclops, which has 3 PPC to fire on the way to the brawl, and six SRM 4's to snuggle in with people. (just make sure to make 2 groups of 3 out of them!)
https://mech.nav-alp...66b2483_CP-10-Q

But if you're sticking to your core, you can go with a recently beefed up classic. The Shadowhawk got some crazy buffs recently, making the 2K into the brawler it once was.
https://mech.nav-alp...9b10e820_SHD-2K

Or the king of recent buffs, the classic Centurion... this one a zombie SRM brawler...
https://mech.nav-alp...#ed8eb614_CN9-A

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 01 October 2021 - 03:12 PM.

#7 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

Certain Zeus variants can SRM.
5S, 6T and 9S2.
People tend to focus the Left Torso on all Zeus because they expect all weapons on the Left side. This kills the 6S and 9S dead, last patch did not fix them and neither does torso twisting, enough people at any Tier just wait for you to twist back and shoot out the LT thus removing most of your weapons.
So only the 5S, 6T and 9S2 are usable not counting the Hero thus you need to use all 3 of their Missile spots in the Right Arm giving you ability to keep fighting when people automatically shoot out the LT out of habit.

I used this 9S2 where the 3ASRM6 are actually the main weapons, the Snubs are backup you cannot always fire without running into lots of overheat but they are still good brawling backups. LPLs actually make it even hotter so Snubs are the backups to use. So long as you position right for proper brawling, it works and my best recommendation.

You could run this 6T instead but the faster fire of the MPLs can get you into bigger heat trouble than the 9S2 with Snubs. On the plus side, you do get better speed with it, possibly go higher if you use MLs instead of MPLs.

The 5S is really not different enough to justify using it.

Even worse, the 6T and 9S2 are after last patch almost near identical in quirks thus it is not a big issue which one you use except for weapons, Snubs being the least to get you into heat trouble.

Now if you want both SRM and MRM, get the 9S2 linked for SRM and the 6T can be done with MRMs as shown in this post. I changed mine for more armor and LFE 335 engine replacing the CT LL with a 4th ML. There is also a 4LL = 3MRM10 build for the 6T further down same topic linked. MRMs can brawl and also give you some midrange shooting ability.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

I use the 4xLL 3xMRM10 Zeus build myself. Only trouble with it is the Zeus relies heavily on torso twisting to spread damage, and that armament needs a bit more face time and has no dead side to shield with. I’m sure a better pilot could make it work, but I did a little too quickly in it.

#9 Old_Sparky

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:14 PM

Seeing some of the builds, seems like I've got to get some grind going to buy at least some of those builds. Thanks alot for the suggestions!

#10 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:16 AM

Cyclops Q using 6ASRM6+ASRM2 is excellent, especially since it just got +10% SRM range which combined with full range nodes from skill tree is substantial.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:19 AM

View PostOld_Sparky, on 03 October 2021 - 07:14 PM, said:

Seeing some of the builds, seems like I've got to get some grind going to buy at least some of those builds. Thanks alot for the suggestions!

If I can recommend something: Ask in this section before you buy a new BattleMech or spend a big amount of MCs or C-Bills on upgrades, weapons or equipment. It can save you a lot of effort and/or money.

#12 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 09:23 AM

I havent ran this build myself, but you could check it out.
rgh-1c

#13 Old_Sparky

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:11 AM

View Postmartian, on 04 October 2021 - 07:19 AM, said:

If I can recommend something: Ask in this section before you buy a new BattleMech or spend a big amount of MCs or C-Bills on upgrades, weapons or equipment. It can save you a lot of effort and/or money.

That's some really good advice. Usually I have an idea on what build I want on which mech, be it a good or bad build (probably because almost all my mechs have ballistic or energy weapons as primary means of dealing damage). But the ideas for the builds using SRMs as primary weapon system on a IS medium/heavy mech has been a pickle for me for some time.

#14 RabidBeagles

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:10 AM

the Kintaro 18 has some armor and missile quirks and 4 missile hardpoints. you might want to test it out on the training grounds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users