No Spam In Chat, Recent Controversy Opinion

182 replies to this topic

#1 Danichi Itobar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

I have to express my displeasure over the recent events regarding the trans rights team and the way PGI folded under pressure. While I agree, that if the team names were for positive reasons, they should be allowed to keep them, free speech and all. But for God sake, STOP SPAMMING THE CHAT WITH ANYTHING OUTSIDE GAMEPLAY!!!. I was on the server one night with the person in question and they, he, she or whatever keept spamming "trans rights" in the chat. This should not be allowed, not because of what was being spammed, but simply because it disrupts gameplay. This persons actions in game were without doubt to inflame and start issues with other players who would dare say something derogatory to our SJW overloards.

Look, I play games to escape the world, politics and realities of our world, not to be irritated by trolls looking to weed out people who dont agree with an agenda. Was I offended? Na, my skins not that thin. Sure, ALL people should have ALL rights , I agree with the sentiment, but that sentiment should not be SPAMMED OVER IN GAME MESSAGES! I lost a match because I couldn't read my teammates calling out enemies over the chat because the spam kept suppressing it ! I only care about my KD and having fun when I'm playing a video game, do you get me here!

I don't care if you're and Martian who wants to marry a rock, you should have rights, but NO ONE should have the right to spam, troll or detract in anyway from good, fun gameplay! Am I wrong here?

the TOS needs to include spamming of non gameplay related messages as a bannable offence with warnings and suspensions prior to the ban. This post in ONLY an appeal for anti spam measures and in no way an attack on a group of people.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:03 PM

Pretty sure there's already a "Nonconstructive" or "Trolling" button you can click to generate a report. If someone's being disruptive, eventually they'll learn.

As for the rest of that inflammatory content? I'll let it be. But yeah. Just report using the closest thing you've got.

#3 Danichi Itobar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:34 PM

That's my point. Because of the content of the spam, the suspension of the person who was spamming was reversed. This is PGI saying "it's ok to spam whatever you want as long as it's politically correct" and that is still wrong

#4 McNuggernauts

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:35 PM

PGI made a mistake, their original stance was as neutral a stance as you could ask for, now they've opted to allow left wing people to spout their politics. Will they now allow right wing political team names etc?

#5 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:42 PM

I'ma stop you both right there and kindly ask that you not incite a big tirade on political nonsense in this forum. I flat-out guarantee neither of you know how many trans folks play this game/are BattleTech fans and starting a hissyfit over them causing you guff will simply get everyone in trouble.

Report. Move on. You might get one game a night with those folks, if that. It's not worth the snark and vitriol.

#6 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 04 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

View Post1453 R, on 04 October 2021 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'ma stop you both right there and kindly ask that you not incite a big tirade on political nonsense in this forum. I flat-out guarantee neither of you know how many trans folks play this game/are BattleTech fans and starting a hissyfit over them causing you guff will simply get everyone in trouble.

Report. Move on. You might get one game a night with those folks, if that. It's not worth the snark and vitriol.

Plz dont make a Deal out of this, everyone has acted bad at one time or another, I know I have a match is 15 min. max. anyone can handle smack or whatever for that long so:
he who is without sin cast the first stone,

#7 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 04 October 2021 - 03:47 PM

I found the constant spamming annoying enough- I finally turned off my in game chat/ voice. Now I just play deaf, this is why we can't have nice things. Gameplay isn't the time for social commentary- thanks.

#8 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 October 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostDanichi Itobar, on 04 October 2021 - 02:34 PM, said:

That's my point. Because of the content of the spam, the suspension of the person who was spamming was reversed. This is PGI saying "it's ok to spam whatever you want as long as it's politically correct" and that is still wrong

Check it out, you can pull up the scoreboard, click on a name, and block them. If you feel they're being disruptive, feel free to report them, too. I know there's one or two members of the Cauldron that have a reputation for being toxic in-game, but PGI has decided to give them seats at the design table rather than reprimands. /shrug

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 October 2021 - 03:53 PM

View PostMcNuggernauts, on 04 October 2021 - 02:35 PM, said:

PGI made a mistake, their original stance was as neutral a stance as you could ask for, now they've opted to allow left wing people to spout their politics. Will they now allow right wing political team names etc?

Wasn't aware human rights were a left/right thing... Oh, wait, they've become that way because one side wants to make sure certain people have no rights.

#10 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:18 PM

View PostEscef, on 04 October 2021 - 03:53 PM, said:

Wasn't aware human rights were a left/right thing... Oh, wait, they've become that way because one side wants to make sure certain people have no rights.

Whoa sparky- Nobody said that anywhere here- don't get so hyperbolic about the issue, the issue is- please stop spammy chat with non game rhetoric. Is that really too much to ask?, I doubt if they are getting more people on the bandwagon spamming. I always said the same thing when people get political- take it some where else, this is a game, not a forum. Let's just have fun.

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

View PostPapaspud, on 04 October 2021 - 04:18 PM, said:

Whoa sparky- Nobody said that anywhere here-

Really? Because McNug certainly implied it. If McNug has an issue, let 'em clarify on their own.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:42 PM

i have nothing against gay or trans people. i believe in freedom so do what you like. i do have a lot against the extreme left though. i know gay people who say that the lgbtq whatever movement (not the community mind you) does not speak for them. this kind of extremism only invites pushback and whatever progress made in the last several decades may very well go the way of the dodo if they dont turn it back a notch or two. real progress takes time.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 October 2021 - 04:46 PM.

#13 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:46 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 04 October 2021 - 04:42 PM, said:

i have nothing against gay or trans people. i believe in freedom so do what you like. i do have a lot against the extreme left though. i know gay people who say that the lgbtq whatever movement (not the community mind you) does not speak for them. this kind of extremism only invites pushback and whatever progress made in the last several decades may very well go the way of the dodo if they dont turn it back a notch or two. real progress takes time.

#14 Far Reach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

Back at it again, patton? Get a life and leave people alone.

#15 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

Baldwin raises an interesting question there. I wonder if anyone here has a sufficient answer.

#16 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:00 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 04 October 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

Unfortunately, true equality is an ongoing, generational project. One that's advanced in leaps and starts, and that has had numerous setbacks. As the song goes, if I could wave my magic wand I'd set everybody free. It's never been that simple, and never will be. I'm not saying it's right or just, I'm just saying that's the way humans tend to operate. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

#17 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:03 PM

View PostDanichi Itobar, on 04 October 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

Am I wrong here?

yes

#18 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:09 PM

View PostEscef, on 04 October 2021 - 05:00 PM, said:

Unfortunately, true equality is an ongoing, generational project. One that's advanced in leaps and starts, and that has had numerous setbacks. As the song goes, if I could wave my magic wand I'd set everybody free. It's never been that simple, and never will be. I'm not saying it's right or just, I'm just saying that's the way humans tend to operate. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Oh no doubt, progress can be slow and painful. I think it is interesting, though, how people with no skin in the game are perfectly willing to say "don't force it, this takes time." How much time is never specified and the call is renewed constantly. One thing is for certain -- it is never now.

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:10 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 04 October 2021 - 05:09 PM, said:

Oh no doubt, progress can be slow and painful. I think it is interesting, though, how people with no skin in the game are perfectly willing to say "don't force it, this takes time." How much time is never specified and the call is renewed constantly. One thing is for certain -- it is never now.

if equality is the end goal, then everyone has skin in the game. sometimes i don't think equality is what they are after.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 October 2021 - 05:12 PM.

#20 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 04 October 2021 - 05:10 PM, said:

if equality is the end goal, then everyone has skin in the game. sometimes i don't think equality is what they are after.

who is they

be specific

what demands do you think "they" are making that are unreasonable

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users