When Was The Last Tukkayid Event? Are We Long Overdue For One?

65 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:29 AM

I thought we used to get a Tukkayid event at least once a year? I tried asking around but nobody i asked can remember when we last had one. Did we stop getting it regularly?

Considering how dead FP is, the only times where FP gets lively is when theres a FP event like Tukkayid...we could really use one to liven things up there.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 08 October 2021 - 11:30 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 08 October 2021 - 11:29 AM, said:

I thought we used to get a Tukkayid event at least once a year?

No.

I tried asking around but nobody i asked can remember when we last had one.

I think that it was in May 2017.

Did we stop getting it regularly?

Battle of Tukayyid was not regularly scheduled.

Considering how dead FP is, the only times where FP gets lively is when theres a FP event like Tukkayid...we could really use one to liven things up there.

The Faction Play is dead. New Battle of Tukayyid would serve one purpose only: It would remind the remaining MWO players why they do not play FP.

#3 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:26 PM

Tukkayid events were great because it made more people play FP.

Bringing back the randoms only queue combined with tukkayid might have good results as well...its sad that the randoms only queue was removed, i had nothing but great matches when it was active and waiting times werent long either.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:31 PM

Split buckets were removed because split buckets are bad.

They thankfully won't be coming back

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

View Postmartian, on 08 October 2021 - 12:07 PM, said:

I think that it was in May 2017.

Something like that. It's been so long that even my "I got my arse kicked at Tukayyid" cockpit bling is cool again. Posted Image

#6 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:53 PM

View Postmartian, on 08 October 2021 - 12:07 PM, said:

The Faction Play is dead. New Battle of Tukayyid would serve one purpose only: It would remind the remaining MWO players why they do not play FP.

Nope, not dead. Not what it used to be but not dead either. There are almost constant matches NA primetime.

A new BoT event would be great.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:32 PM

id play a tukayyid event. i mean just do one, make it last a month. do double rp/lp, the usual battery of challenges. i think people will show up for something different.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 08 October 2021 - 12:26 PM, said:

Bringing back the randoms only queue combined with tukkayid might have good results as well...its sad that the randoms only queue was removed, i had nothing but great matches when it was active and waiting times werent long either.

i think the fact that one side always had the numbers advantage over the other was a bigger problem. players would also flock to whatever side had the best meta at the time. this made the wait times absurd. i think they should have just monitored the ratio, and do clan vs is if it was close to 1:1, but if it got to 3:1, then you would spawn one civil war mission for every is vs clan on whatever side had the bigger numbers. this of course would adjust based on the current ratio of clan and is players and would be proportional (more difference, more civil war). if you cant find the players for the match. find the match for the players.

you also have the peak hour bias. i think id have played more fp if peak was a couple hours later. variable match size could fix that. 8v8 durring oc phase for example.

i think the current match maker, with sufficient player pool (which the event would draw in), would solve the pug vs team problems.

though i dont think you would need to do any of these thinks for another tukayyid to work.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 03:27 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 08 October 2021 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yeah, the players had checked the FP during those events ... and then the majority of them rejected to have anything in common with the FP.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 08 October 2021 - 12:49 PM, said:

Something like that. It's been so long that even my "I got my arse kicked at Tukayyid" cockpit bling is cool again. Posted Image

I remember how ridiculously low-res and shoddy those cockpit rewards are. Literal junk.

View PostCharles Sennet, on 08 October 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

Nope, not dead. Not what it used to be but not dead either. There are almost constant matches NA primetime.

Yeah, "almost constant" ... Players checking the FP and wondering whether they will get a game. And outside of the NA prime time it is often even worse.

View PostCharles Sennet, on 08 October 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

A new BoT event would be great.

Bribing the players to play otherwise unwanted game mode would be the same nonsense like bribing them to play Solaris 7. It would be the ultimate admission of defeat for PGI.

I can imagine some premade(s) farming teams composed of random players .... like they did during previous Tukayyid events. Do not you remember that?

#10 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:19 AM

FP is not dead. It is great and fun (I won the previous free mech, the shunned hawk, with pure FP) albeit need to wait more for matches than in QP (well, if wanna use some assaults even QP wait times could be grossly long). I really want to try an event what is FP exclusive.

#11 Evogenesis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:20 PM

I would be interested in some sort of FP event.

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:45 PM

Martian where did bad CW/WF touch you that you hate it so much :D

#13 Jugger Grimrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAddicks, Fed Suns

Posted 09 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

"For over a thousand cycles, the Units were the guardians of assault and defense in Faction Warfare. Before the dark times, before the Bucket."

Edited by Jugger Grimrod, 10 October 2021 - 09:14 AM.

#14 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 October 2021 - 01:48 PM

I was a proud participant of the Tukkayid events, and looking back now, I have the following points to make:

1) Tukkayid was all about teamwork, units, and faction pride. None of these things exist in today's MWO.
2) Tukkayid was special because it was one of the rare events that awarded a mech. We get mechs montly now.
3) Tukkayid was played with a much greater player base than exists now in MWO
4) Tukkayid was played before comp groups ruined faction play for the common player.
5) Tukkayid was played before faction play was re-designed and re-re-designed into something that is much different than today's faction play, where gen-rushing isn't a thing, and where the only way to play is to ignore the objectives up until the last few minutes of the match

Considering the above points, a Tukkayid-like event today would be a hollow shell, vaguely reminiscent of the glory days of MWO. It would be nostalgic, but it would not feel any different than any other normal event, and since the state of faction play is "best avoid it", I doubt it would be any fun at all.

MWO needs a thorough redesign of Faction play before another Tukkayid event would be worthy of the name.

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

View PostCurccu, on 09 October 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

Martian where did bad CW/WF touch you that you hate it so much :D

Like many...

They come without proper mechs, decks, plan and organisation. Treating FP like QP...

The end result is, well, if their own making.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:35 PM

View PostCurccu, on 09 October 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

Martian where did bad CW/WF touch you that you hate it so much Posted Image

On the same spot that it has touched the majority of the MWO playerbase. Do you realize that many MWO players were so disappointed by the FP so much that they refused to play it?

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 October 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

Like many...

They come without proper mechs, decks, plan and organisation. Treating FP like QP...

Obviously, the majority of MWO players has wished to play something else than PGI offered them as the Community Warfare/Community Play/Faction Play ...

So much for this Russ Bullock's "endgame content" ... Posted Image

I wonder how successful can be a company that offers its customers something else than they want.

Edited by martian, 09 October 2021 - 08:39 PM.

#17 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:18 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 09 October 2021 - 01:48 PM, said:

3) Tukkayid was played with a much greater player base than exists now in MWO
4) Tukkayid was played before comp groups ruined faction play for the common player.
And here I have to call major BS. Comp groups existed back in the day also and whipped casual players as bad as they do now, maybe even more.
But there might be some difference how often you encounter comp player groups if you got 1000 casual groups and 10 comp groups in queue instead of 1 comp group and few casuals like we can have now.

View PostVellron2005, on 09 October 2021 - 01:48 PM, said:

5) Tukkayid was played before faction play was re-designed and re-re-designed into something that is much different than today's faction play, where gen-rushing isn't a thing, and where the only way to play is to ignore the objectives up until the last few minutes of the match

I can see you don't play much FP, I haven't seen a gen rush in few Years, and btw genrushing was casual players tactics because they couldn't beat better groups (comp players) by war of attrition.

View Postmartian, on 09 October 2021 - 08:35 PM, said:

On the same spot that it has touched the majority of the MWO playerbase. Do you realize that many MWO players were so disappointed by the FP so much that they refused to play it?

Yes I understand quitting MWO if game disapoints that badly, but I don't understand playing QP and refusing to play FP as it would be some big bad bogeyman.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:36 AM

View PostCurccu, on 10 October 2021 - 03:18 AM, said:

Yes I understand quitting MWO if game disapoints that badly, but I don't understand playing QP and refusing to play FP as it would be some big bad bogeyman.

I guess that it had something to do with the fact that they were farmed by 10-12-man premades repeatedly.

Despite all its flaws, there has been no such problem in the Quick Play.

View PostCurccu, on 10 October 2021 - 03:18 AM, said:

btw genrushing was casual players tactics because they couldn't beat better groups (comp players) by war of attrition.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

Genrushing was exclusive to premades because only a premade group on its own Teamspeak had the means to prearrange tactics and check that every member of the premade had his Firestarter or Arctic Cheetah ready and marked as his first 'Mech.

Random collections of PUGs deployed in all kinds of ineffective 'Mechs, ranging from Locusts to Atlases. Their only means of communication was the text chat (that only a few players read) right before the deployment. Genrushing with random players that did not even have 'Mechs suitable for it? Forget it.

#19 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:50 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 October 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

Treating FP like QP...

Indeed, expecting a fair fight is not what FP is about.
FP is all about big premade groups stomping randomly assembled casuals (aka 90% of MWO's population). ...which is why it is dead.

Posted Image

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:43 AM

View Postmartian, on 10 October 2021 - 03:36 AM, said:

I guess that it had something to do with the fact that they were farmed by 10-12-man premades repeatedly.

Despite all its flaws, there has been no such problem in the Quick Play.

I don't know if you read forums loads of ppl are QQing groups destroying QP

View Postmartian, on 10 October 2021 - 03:36 AM, said:

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

Genrushing was exclusive to premades because only a premade group on its own Teamspeak had the means to prearrange tactics and check that every member of the premade had his Firestarter or Arctic Cheetah ready and marked as his first 'Mech.

Random collections of PUGs deployed in all kinds of ineffective 'Mechs, ranging from Locusts to Atlases. Their only means of communication was the text chat (that only a few players read) right before the deployment. Genrushing with random players that did not even have 'Mechs suitable for it? Forget it.

Now you are mixing comp groups and premades, not same thing.

And Teamspeaks/Discrods/Ventrillos have existed for all that wanted to use them for as long as this game has existed, There were and I suspect still are few of those just dedicated to look for FP playing company.

View PostFLG 01, on 10 October 2021 - 04:50 AM, said:

Indeed, expecting a fair fight is not what FP is about.
FP is all about big premade groups stomping randomly assembled casuals (aka 90% of MWO's population). ...which is why it is dead.

So if everyone would play FP 10% out of casual population would face premade stomping groups and rest 90% would have casual vs casual? Not bad ratio really. In reality it would be way less cause groups take priority to new launching games and for that reason face other group on opposite side and solo players would launch their own vs solo groups.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users