I Just Got A 3D Printer And One Of My First Projects Was Printing A Dwf To Scale With A Tie Fighter

5 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 09 October 2021 - 09:30 PM

So it was a bit tricky trying to find exact dimensions of EITHER the Direwolf, be it MWO's version or TT, or the TIE Interceptor but going off artist depictions and as well as holding a ruler to my screen while Oscar Isaac was sitting in the cockpit of one and some other vague references I think I got a decent set of numbers. The Direwolf sits just a tough over 41ft ground to hood active byt stationary. The TIE interceptor is roughly 35ft long along the longest portion of the solar array. So plugging these rations in I got this (I also think that MadIIC is to scale, as well):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And also, the latest bit, I just finished this custom King Crab. I had to make the file for this one and move all the bits around to get the look I wanted. Low and angry and coming at you!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:34 PM

Neat.

Can you upload that into something like Thingyverse so we can also print our own?

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:03 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 October 2021 - 11:34 PM, said:

Neat.

Can you upload that into something like Thingyverse so we can also print our own?

Not Thingiverse - and if you do don't use the text or tag BattleTech
Use "american mecha" instead (Just want to tell you that i consider this as arrogant and think that "western mecha" would have been more fitting

Edited by Karl Streiger, 10 October 2021 - 07:03 AM.

#4 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 10 October 2021 - 07:03 AM, said:

Not Thingiverse - and if you do don't use the text or tag BattleTech
Use "american mecha" instead (Just want to tell you that i consider this as arrogant and think that "western mecha" would have been more fitting

First, I'm not going to post the STL's available anywhere...I spent a week of frustrating effort figuring out how to get from a blank file directory to a print. I have created a video summarizing how I did it and it's uploaded to YouTube but I haven't made it public yet. I might some day, I might not.

Second, what's wrong with thingverse? This is just a curiosity, when I went to find STL's for other odds and ends almost everything pointed me at thingverse.

#5 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:19 PM

Got some painting done! I forgot how much I enjoy painting these minis! I'm going to have to open up an etsy shop or some nonsense to get them gone just so I can keep painting without things piling up!

I think the King Crab turned out awesome. I had this picture in my head of it sitting low and wide, super aggressive, and it turned out exactly the way I pictured it. I don't think any other mech in this game has this kind of visual menace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only thing I'm not happy with on the Direwolf is the print didn't give me good lines around the cockpit to paint...I couldn't track the the panels at all. The rest of it sits just like my rig in the game, though. The camo pattern was hard to get straight but turned out really nice I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The TIE fighter didn't work out quite as neatly but I'm please with it anyway. There was a LOT of "noise" in the print and some of the panels got deformed and it made it difficult to paint in places...plus, plainting the interior panels was a pain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:59 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 10 October 2021 - 07:10 AM, said:

Second, what's wrong with thingverse? This is just a curiosity, when I went to find STL's for other odds and ends almost everything pointed me at thingverse.

In June 2020 they deleted everything with the tag Battletech even original stuff and stuff that could be used to play battletech.
Of course there is the issue that they were hacked the other day (last week?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users