Please Make Map Playable (Or Vetoable) For Color Blind People

6 replies to this topic

#1 morosis

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

i am significantly red green color blind which means i see reds and greens more akin to what most people visually process as brown.

generally speaking, the game is already unfriendly to color blind people due to lack of customization of colors/hud/etc, but this map stands out as especially troublesome because it is not just an annoyance but an actual hindrance both in terms of gameplay and also the human experience.

- the entire map is a sea of brown and red with lots of different shades of brown and visual noise that is brown and red. this is basically the background you would design if you were trying to make everything you place in front of it invisible to a color blind person.

- mechs in any shade of red or green camo, and especially base olive drab, are essentially invisible to me on this map, especially from above or when up against a wall. since there is a brown haze on everything, it makes it even harder to make out edges on a brown background since everything looks fuzzy.

- the target box when i highlight an enemy mech is red. red on a noisy brown background may not be a problem for some but its a huge issue for me. the red is hard for me to visually distinguish from all the brown, because i see red as brown already. i have to look for the shape of the square, not the color of it.

- the alternate vision modes are not very useful on this map. heat vision would theoretically be helpful except that it makes the map blindingly bright because the map is so hot, which does not help at all with the visual strain of looking at this map. night vision doesnt work well unless you are in certain areas where it can render with some contrast. even then, this gives a green on green view which is also not that helpful for me. so there is no alternative for me really, other than to give myself a headache trying to tell apart minute shades of brown in normal vision for as long as the game lasts, which is kind of a chore.

i would appreciate it if we could please either fix the color of this map or allow me to veto it. it quite literally, hurts my head, and my eyes, and my gameplay. alternatively, can we introduce some color blind support (like being able to change reticle to not be a shade of green and change the target box to not be a shade of red, or make one of the alternate vision modes useful on this map?

thank you for reading.

Edited by morosis, 20 January 2021 - 10:40 PM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:22 AM

Changes to the map itself are highly unlikely. How about you try NVidia Filter instead? Might hold a solution for you.

#3 morosis

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:02 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 27 January 2021 - 02:22 AM, said:

Changes to the map itself are highly unlikely. How about you try NVidia Filter instead? Might hold a solution for you.

Thanks Aiden - a couple of things:

1) i had been told in the past that Nvidia filters were against ToS. I assume that must not be the case anymore? I had specifically seen a screenshot of the default Nvidia color blind filter, that was labeled as "cheating" and "hacking"

2) if its legal to use the Nvidia filter for color blindness, its of very limited help anyway. The core issue is that that the filter changes the hud elements as well as the map elements. there is not a filter that allows hud elements to remain high contrast, while also applying enough of a correction to the coloration of the map elements. correcting the map colors ruins the hud colors in almost all cases.

#4 morosis

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

bumping this topic to the top in hopes of some attention to this.

i am not the only one that cannot see on this map. even a small tweak to get the color palette for Rubellite out of the "impossible to see if you are color blind" color spectrum into the "only somewhat difficult to see if you are color blind" color spectrum would go a long way here.

this map really needs to be fixed. when i say it is impossible to see, i cannot stress that strongly enough.

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:10 AM

How many ppl with this specific disability are out there in the general populance?
How many of them are playing MWO?
How high of a priority might this very specific issue may be for an aged game that runs on lostech code with two so called devs left that are additionaly neiter coders nor map designers?

Sorry to be that pessimistic but...well there you go.

Edit: Some time ago when they advertised some kind of sale they said they would hire a map/level designer to change some starting lokations and stuff...maybe this person could take a look into the lighting of the map wich could change the overall balance of colors and contrast

Edited by The Basilisk, 07 May 2021 - 02:15 AM.

#6 morosis

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:02 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 07 May 2021 - 02:10 AM, said:

How many ppl with this specific disability are out there in the general populance?
How many of them are playing MWO?
How high of a priority might this very specific issue may be for an aged game that runs on lostech code with two so called devs left that are additionaly neiter coders nor map designers?

Sorry to be that pessimistic but...well there you go.

Edit: Some time ago when they advertised some kind of sale they said they would hire a map/level designer to change some starting lokations and stuff...maybe this person could take a look into the lighting of the map wich could change the overall balance of colors and contrast

depending which stats you like, roughly 10% of the population of the world has color sight issues. and whether it was a priority at the time the game was developed or not, in the current landscape of games, accessibility is a priority because game developers do understand that if they make their game inaccessible, it leads to less playtime and therefore a less successful game.

as it stands today, this map is disastrously inaccessible to people with my particular vision limitation. again, not to overstate, but it is almost impossible for me to see on this map and there is little to nothing I can do to correct it.

being able to see is quite important in a shooting game.

#7 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:04 PM

Yes ! the Texturing and optical Mainbuild of teh Map is so simple and Ugly like a map back in the 80`s ...the Ground playstructure is Ok, the optical aspect is terrible and Awfull ...not Time,Ressources and Love for the Maps like Uglyitte Oasis and Brawlaris City ...what the Hell ,all is only brushes with one or two Textures over grund and walls ,the walls formed and textured like a Simple Mesh in the first Doom

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 10 May 2021 - 11:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users