Maps

31 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:52 AM

So I have just checked the new "Viridian Bog Reborn" map.

The only substantial parts added/modified are two ramps ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

... and one rock added, obviously to allow sniping ECM Night Gyrs to hide behind it.
(at least I do not remember that rock being there before, or maybe not so big)

Posted Image

Have I missed anything important?

#2 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

I didnt notice much else either, just played one round it was where it normally is at the centre ring basin and the other mini ring place to shoot from the right side or left depending on where you spawn.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:02 AM

The hill at D5 (right next to the middle) now has two ways up instead of one, and the hill at E7 now has a way up so there is a high point between spawn and center for each side that can be accessed without jump jets.

And the megapede shells seem to have been rearranged a bit to make better cover in places. Plus the area under the "lily pads" is expanded.

Overall, I like it. certain parts of the map are prettier, and game play should be enhanced a bit with the extra ramps. Otherwise its mostly the same map, which I like.

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:17 AM

View Postmartian, on 19 October 2021 - 10:52 AM, said:

So I have just checked the new "Viridian Bog Reborn" map.

The only substantial parts added/modified are two ramps ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

... and one rock added, obviously to allow sniping ECM Night Gyrs to hide behind it.
(at least I do not remember that rock being there before, or maybe not so big)

Posted Image

Have I missed anything important?

Some areas are particularly more open but with decent cover from the center plateaus

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:24 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 19 October 2021 - 11:02 AM, said:

The hill at D5 (right next to the middle) now has two ways up instead of one, and the hill at E7 now has a way up so there is a high point between spawn and center for each side that can be accessed without jump jets.

Yeah, those are screenshots that I posted in the first post.

And the megapede shells seem to have been rearranged a bit to make better cover in places. Plus the area under the "lily pads" is expanded.

You might be right, but I am not quite sure how they were arranged before. Posted Image

Plus the area under the "lily pads" is expanded.

I noticed, but nobody went there before and I do not think that this is will change.

Overall, I like it. certain parts of the map are prettier, and game play should be enhanced a bit with the extra ramps. Otherwise its mostly the same map, which I like.

Dunno. Perhaps I have expected more. Let us wait and see.

#6 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:36 AM

https://imgur.com/a/Ebz3p1p

#7 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

But did they bring back those mysterious creatures lurking in the water?

#8 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

NGNGtv:
Viridian Bog Reborn Walkthrough - Mechwarrior Online - YouTube

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:00 PM

And the battle I just had there was domination... centered on D5 rather than the main hill at E5. I believe that's new.

#10 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 19 October 2021 - 01:00 PM, said:

And the battle I just had there was domination... centered on D5 rather than the main hill at E5. I believe that's new.

is that to the left of the main hill? as the circle was always to the right of it instead of directly in the centre.

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,413 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:34 AM

I did have trouble going up multiple flights of stone steps, having trouble going up whenever my Mauler is going up at 45 degrees to the "forward/up" stone step direction. We do not always go straight up these steps, you know!
(My Mauler has all 3x Hill Climb nodes already).

As to map layout, no major change noticed, just a few more cylindrical stone columns around the perimeter of the center, to help hide both attacker and defenders.

I like the small changes to this Viridian Bog reborn!

Edited by w0qj, 20 October 2021 - 04:48 AM.

#12 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:04 AM

Ok, I'll say, that, if this is the case, then I am pleasantly surprised. I am glad they went the same route as they did with Canyon, instead just beating the map with the stick until it stopped twitching, like the rest.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 October 2021 - 03:24 AM

I honestly hated the steps.

I had several games there with my Piranha, and sometimes it's hard to get up for some ******* reason. And when falling down, without JJ, I can't turn mid-air.

#14 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:13 AM

Getting to be a one trick pony with these reworking of maps - - - -

Additional ramps were not needed in D5 or D7, removal of hard cover in E7 and the addition of blocking claw features around E6 are pointless and detrimental to any kind of mech that is medium plus tall.

Although there's no implementation of the "crater/bowl" terrain, the increased emphasis on long range or sniper mode has still been followed through with the loss of hard terrain cover and the heightening of the carapaces has brought forward the channelling of pathways that seems to be the vogue on the map updates - follow these and you find you end up even more in a tin can alley and subjected to focus fire without being able to respond in any viable manner.

Not certain on one other point, there appears to be an increase in destructible vegetation; great, wonderful, something else to ruin line of sight and lock on mechanisms.

Viridian was never one of my favourite maps, mainly down to the lag load all the frill vegetation, insect life and mist that did nothing to add the the usefulness of the map; the reworking of it has removed what few redeeming features it did have and leave it yet another very much of an avoidable option.

On a more serious note; Why do these maps keep getting thrown out without them being play tested and taking/acting on feedback? Any designer knows that this is exceptionally important if you want to have a polished and acceptable product that meets the approval of the majority of the client base, not just the sycophants that have a simple and quite often small minded approach to what is right and what is not!

#15 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:32 AM

More snipey- I'm sure nobody thought that would happen. that seems to be the main factor of change that all the new maps have= make the maps more sniper friendly.

#16 Anastasius Foht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:28 AM

I like changes, now map allow to buid solid counter-nascar firelane if pilots want it from any side (accessible to non JJ mechs too), NSR around middle (especially top part of centre hill) now is more punishing to those who keep doing it no matter what

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:59 AM

View PostPapaspud, on 20 October 2021 - 05:32 AM, said:

More snipey- I'm sure nobody thought that would happen. that seems to be the main factor of change that all the new maps have= make the maps more sniper friendly.

I wouldn't say "more sniper friendly". they added a way up to the ridge at E7 so non-jumpy mechs can get the high ground there BUT they removed all the cover from the top of said hill. The result is that both teams can get to a hill that has overwatch on the center hill, but both those hills have no cover. And there's still plenty of cover on the ground.

add to it the fact that there seem to be MULTIPLE LOCATIONS for the Domination circle on this map. It's almost like someone was listening!

No, this map isn't a dream for snipers, its a dream for any mech that moves at 100kph or above and has 5 jump jets or more.

#18 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:07 AM

Overall it seems to be an improvement. My beef is after several games I have found several spots that my mechs get hung up on in those new steps (the age old my 100 ton mech got stuck on a pebble). Mega annoying when you are backing up in retreat and get stuck.

#19 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:02 AM

View PostHaipyng, on 20 October 2021 - 07:07 AM, said:

Overall it seems to be an improvement. My beef is after several games I have found several spots that my mechs get hung up on in those new steps (the age old my 100 ton mech got stuck on a pebble). Mega annoying when you are backing up in retreat and get stuck.

Yeah, that's an issue that needs work on a number of maps. its why I don't like Forest Colony (new not classic), as there are way too many things to stub your toe on and get stuck and shot to pieces.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:30 AM

View PostPeppaPig, on 20 October 2021 - 05:13 AM, said:

Additional ramps were not needed in D5 or D7

Seriously?

Literally all that did was make each side more balanced. I fail to see how that could possibly be a bad thing.

All of the other changes have barely made it better for "snipers", if at all. And even if they did, this map was unfriendly to sniping before, so giving sniping a nudge up on this map was definitely called for. Sorry you don't like the sniping playstyle but being balanced is more important than catering to the opinions of a handful of players that hate sniping (but are no doubt totally cool with LRM boating because reasons and stuff).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users