Anyone Else Experience Huge Performance Drop With Last Update?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Chattahah

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 24 posts
  • LocationThe Mighty Mitten

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:14 AM

I don't have the newest system, but it's certainly more than adequate for this game. I've never run into any issues with MW:O performance - ever with past rigs from 5-8 years ago with much lower specs.

Since the last update, the game is actually unplayable. If I'm lucky, I'm getting 7-10fps and there were be times when I literally lock up for 2-3 seconds. My ping never tops 30 on NA servers where I usually am playing. Anyone have any ideas?

System specs for reverence;
Ryzen 7 2700 8-core
GTX 1660 Ti
16gb RAM
Samsung EVO 1tb NVMe M.2 SSD (game installed on SSD)
900W Power
Posted Image

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Chatta

#2 STORM BANDIT

• Pip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:28 AM

I dropped from 90-100fps to 19-20 fps.
Redownloaded the latest Nvidia drive, Problem solved. I had been playing MWO5 for the first time after thier latest patch prior to logging into MWO and I had assume it was MW5 that caused the issue.

#3 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

Also check your windows updates. If allowed, Windows will install drivers which do not go well most of the time, especially for GPU drivers.

#4 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:59 PM

No issues here on my 8-9 years old pc

#5 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:27 PM

Ill have to clean my pc out thoroughly and then update all the drivers and things.

#6 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:48 PM

Try to roll back windows to 1-2 weeks before.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 22 October 2021 - 10:48 PM.

#7 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:40 AM

Very satisfied (no performance) Lenovo ThinkPad with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6 graphics card.
Did update graphics driver back in Sept a few weeks ago.

Do suggest as others have said, rollback to older graphics driver that you have used before.

You did save your graphics driver *.exe file, did you?
I always saved mine, for rainy days like these (but I've never had to use such a contingency plan thus far).

Edited by w0qj, 23 October 2021 - 01:19 AM.

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:08 AM

In this order:
  • Ensure Windows power saving is turned to High Performance / Max for all settings.
  • If were overclocking - check settings are still valid / haven't crashed and reset to defaults.
  • Uninstall / Reinstall Displayer Drivers - Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) for this process.
  • Check Advanced MWO Video settings to ensure everything is not set to Ultra

If that does not fix report back. Occasionally a windows or NVidia update can bork things and just needs to be redone.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 23 October 2021 - 01:08 AM.

#9 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:34 AM

And missed the part about lockup/freezing.

Besides the other items listed... and depending on how long you have had the system (CPU came out 2018) ensure you checking every few months for dust buildup and remove that build up. And if it was installed it with the OEM heatsink /shudders, you may need to remove the fan/heatsink assembly thoroughly clean it, especially the first time. And if it is the OEM, consider purchasing heatsink/fan assembly that makes it easier to clean without needing to remove it every time.

Suggestions

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B.

Edited by Half Ear, 23 October 2021 - 06:11 AM.

#10 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:50 AM

GraCard drivers. update them, it solves 9/10 problems that come up with ANY game's performance.
not that it's the games fault.

#11 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:27 AM

I play on a notebook. An old one, but it gets by. I've found that if Windows has updates to do, everything seems to run slower. Not that MS would do anything to try to force a update/reboot cycle, noo no no (yes, a little sarcasm). I've also found that I, either accidentally or cuz I forgot, try to play with the power supply unplugged. Running on battery throttles everything, and MWO is single digit FPS. I either figure it out quickly and plug the power back in, or I kill the battery pretty quick and THEN plug in.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 06:52 PM

it sounds like a shader issue. run the repair tool and be sure it flushes the shader cache (launcher -> options -> run mwo repair tool -> options, make sure clean shaders is ticked, hit ok and hit fix issues).

Edited by LordNothing, 25 October 2021 - 09:23 PM.

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:38 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 October 2021 - 06:52 PM, said:

it sounds like a shader issue. run the repair tool and be sure it flushes the shader cache (launcher -> options -> run mwo repair tool -> options ->, make sure clean shaders is ticked, hit ok and hit fix issues).

If you run the game through Steam, you can delete the shader manually. You'll find the stored data in user/games/MechWarrior Online
just delete the shaders folder.

#14 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:43 AM

Could be some SSD issue as well, does it have enough free space and is its health still good?

Samsung Magician SSD Software should be able to tell you that...

#15 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:50 AM

Win 10 creates a huge cache file that can cause problems with further updates or create performance issues by dragging down resources. Just check one of the many sites that show you how to manually clear these files and with luck, things should get better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users