Mechwarrior Online October Dev Log

62 replies to this topic

#41 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:52 AM

View Postyrrot, on 02 November 2021 - 07:31 AM, said:

so he's recycling bits from other maps, etc.

Recycling from one specific map - in this case Hellebore Springs. Each map "set" has an asset set (textures, mostly) for its look. What he is doing is useing those asset sets and arranging them in a different geometry.

That said, i do hope that the December Map will receive a separate slot and does not lead to Hellebore Springs being taken out of the faction play rotation for Siege.

#42 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:22 PM

View Postkatoult, on 04 November 2021 - 11:52 AM, said:

Recycling from one specific map - in this case Hellebore Springs. Each map "set" has an asset set (textures, mostly) for its look. What he is doing is useing those asset sets and arranging them in a different geometry.

That said, i do hope that the December Map will receive a separate slot and does not lead to Hellebore Springs being taken out of the faction play rotation for Siege.

There is new and reused assets in the new map, you can see it from the pictures.

FP Hellbore is not being touched. This is a new map for QP only as has been stated a few times.

#43 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:14 PM

You know, I would actually love a map based on Emerald Taiga.

The other green map we have is a bit stuffy.

#44 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 05 November 2021 - 02:52 AM

the Hellborne Map looks typical PGI ,...mazestyle , small Passages , non-natural Obstacles and Walls thats impassable.

Who the rolling Fields , the natural looking Worlds like the maps in mW4?

#45 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:42 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 05 November 2021 - 02:52 AM, said:

Who the rolling Fields , the natural looking Worlds like the maps in mW4?

that was called Polar Highlands and it was only chosen by people memeing

#46 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:52 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 05 November 2021 - 07:42 AM, said:

that was called Polar Highlands and it was only chosen by people memeing

Yep. Gently rolling hills made it the most hated map. I rather liked it, but it was first on the chopping block for the new pass. it wasn't enough like an arena, apparently.l

#47 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 05 November 2021 - 03:51 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 04 November 2021 - 10:15 AM, said:

If it's not written down, it didn't happen. Post a transcript PGI or don't even bother doing it.

Hello there... Did you miss my Reply to this post located earlier in the thread...

View PostRJF Daniel, on 01 November 2021 - 07:04 PM, said:

ttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssccccccccccrrrrrrriiiiiiiipppppppppppttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!....................Posted Image

...and where I answered with the following text in one of my posts...

View PostD V Devnull, on 02 November 2021 - 05:47 AM, said:

Hi there, Daniel... You must have missed the slightly hidden Transcript Control in the midst of YouTube's page for the Developer VLog video. It is rather easily reached by using the triple dots ("...") to the right of the "Save" command and selecting "Open Transcript" from the list of options which appears for use. Admittedly, it appears to be an auto-translation of what is being said in the video, but at least that's better than not having one to find at all.

...at that point in time? If so, 'Khalcruth', is there any chance that I can interest you in nomination for some random hilarious Award for skipping right past exactly what told people where to get one? It may not be perfect, but the Transcript from the Auto-Generate can at least help clue you into things, and listening to the video at a speed of 1.1x normal or more will enable you to hear everything in rather comfortably short order without the need to cause PGI Staff any more extra stress on their mental plates. As it is, we have very few completely dedicated people working on MWO right now, and we don't need to lose anyone because someone wanted a perfect word-for-word hand-typed Transcript of things. Not everything in life has to be someone's vision of perfect! :(

~D. V. "Why can't people go to the video's page on YouTube and turn on the Transcript function?" Devnull

[Emergency Edit made by the Post's Author because they realized a short time later after posting this while dealing with a headache that they kind of overdid some of their wording... It's been fixed!!!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 05 November 2021 - 04:36 PM.

#48 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 12:31 AM

I guess i'm in the minority here, but none of the loyalty mechs have any interest from me. You already did an atlas and an urbie, the solaris pack already had both as well, and the normal heroes.

I'll put this one right up there with the cicada, it's an ok mech i guess, but more stealth and more of mechs that already had good versions would not of been my first choice, nor my second, or 10th, or 20th..

Good job on the new packs though, at least they were worth it. The T-bolt is a really fun mech, and the dire/timber are also quite fun clan side.

#49 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:21 AM

[color=#959595]I think sniping is indirectly a bit too powerful on most of the new maps, due to the fact that there actually are so many different ways to play on the updated ones. This tends to make defensive play harder to execute, especially for the brawlers who are going to be taking the brunt of the damage, and can’t afford to lose their ability to stat-check other mechs. Brawlers need safe pathways to push towards ranged mechs, and I don't think that exists on the changed maps at all.[/color]
its not the Problem of the Devs, when Guys runs with Kifes to a Shootout or build Special Builds thats 50% helpless in a Map..learn and adapt or die fast
Im Love Assaults from Design ,here the Big Weapons Carriers most only Feed without Support Fleet

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 08 November 2021 - 03:21 AM.

#50 PCHunter

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:25 AM

Fix Caustic while you're at it. No one wants to play it. It needs more cover, less stumbling blocks and far less haze/fumes so you can freaking see on it!

New map good idea until we see it. Matchmaker should be a No. 1 priority. MM, PSR and match balancing still a HUGE problem. For whatever reasons, there are fundamentally 2 tiers: you play in Tier 1 matches or you don't. This is regardless of one's own tier. Tier 4 is the most fun. Tier 3 is just an entry point to Tier 1 matches. They are not fun. Fix MM as a priority. Or quirk high tier players down for lower tier matches.

#51 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:57 PM

Maybe I'll come back someday when you're all done virtue signaling. Posted Image

#52 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:36 PM

View PostPCHunter, on 08 November 2021 - 03:25 AM, said:

Matchmaker should be a No. 1 priority. MM, PSR and match balancing still a HUGE problem. For whatever reasons, there are fundamentally 2 tiers: you play in Tier 1 matches or you don't. This is regardless of one's own tier. Tier 4 is the most fun. Tier 3 is just an entry point to Tier 1 matches. They are not fun. Fix MM as a priority. Or quirk high tier players down for lower tier matches.

While MM is certainly a big issue.

How you have described is now how it works as 'fundamentally 2 tiers' is not remotely accurate.

Please read the pinned posts in this section and also General Discussion - it explains and is mostly accurate with its descriptions. A couple of minor errors that don't/won't overall alter the understanding.

#53 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:58 AM

The PSR system is utter garbage. Stop worrying about how the dumb formula decides you did and instead have fun with the game. At this point in the game I'm doubting anything of significance happens with regard to PSR/MM.

#54 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 09 November 2021 - 01:14 PM

View PostElizander, on 08 November 2021 - 03:57 PM, said:

Maybe I'll come back someday when you're all done virtue signaling. Posted Image

Or maybe when you care less about such little things?

#55 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:12 PM

View PostElizander, on 08 November 2021 - 03:57 PM, said:

Or just don't come back?

#56 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:43 AM

View PostBig-G, on 09 November 2021 - 01:14 PM, said:

Or maybe when you care less about such little things?

No, he's got a point. I'd prefer that my entertainment had a little less political messaging in it, and spent more of its resources on improving the entertainment value of its product; besides, it's hard to ignore the soapboxing when there are so many updates about it, and we keep feeling the impact of it in game.

#57 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 01:23 PM

View PostKnightKnownasNii, on 02 November 2021 - 11:54 AM, said:

Ok, a few things I want to touch base on.

1. Balancing - This game isn't balanced by any stretch of any imagination. if balanced looks like IS being able to beat clans in every faction drop due to their ability to take more damage, hit clans at longer ranges and keep us from being able to play game modes as they are meant to be played, then you are doing great. But balanced, no. We should be able to do the exact same thing across the board if you want balance, but that isn't the case. I understand that clans have an upper hand at range if you are following lore, but what you did was basicilly give IS the clan advantage of range and made us become the duelers all while having the weaker chassis and lacking ability to keep heat down with firepower. What I see is the continued favoritism for IS and the nerfing of the clan. I think you guys need to drop in on some of these faction drops and watch what happens. In fact, I invite you to do a few faction drops with us at CGBI, one of the older, original clans of MWO, and see what I mean personally. Then you can get some feedback from a lot of us veteran players that have been a part of MWO from day 1. So send me a message or email me. You have my information. We would love to have you come in and listen to us loyal players.

2. Fixing the "tab out" crashes - This has been a issue for a long time. Why are we not trying to find the cause and fix it?

3. Maps - The city maps seem to be bogging some computers down and some maps just aren't fun at all. If you go look at the numbers, you will see that specific maps get played way more than others. So, if you are going to design new maps, look at what people like and maybe ask what they like about specific maps. I know for us clanners, we discourage hot maps due to our lacking ability to do well in heat. Our firepower is nerfed, heat increased, and ability to take hits is minimal at best.

Please take in account of these issues, and know that there are many more I am sure, that should all be discussed with the players like ourselves. We gave up trying to say anything because it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I am hoping this time, it does not.

Honestly, before we even discuss "faction balance", we need to fix faction play. Until faction play gets a player count worth investing resources into, trying to balance factions for a virtually dead game mode is only going to create problems for quick play. At any rate, I think the clans are balanced as is, if not overpowered compared to IS. IS maintains an armor and pinpoint range advantage; clans maintain speed and firepower advantage. While IS ER PPC + Light Gauss is fairly to use, clan does have access to ER LL + Gauss for considerably higher damage at the same range. Sure, ER LL are beam duration, but they're also hitscan, which combined with the higher damage output at range gives them a pretty sizable advantage.

In my QP experience, a Night Gyr-H armed with Gauss + ER LL has similar performance to a Cyclops 11-P or Highlander-732B armed with 2x LGR; 2x ER PPCs. The only notable difference is that the Night Gyr is 15 tons lighter, faster, and benefits from both JJs and ECM; whereas the IS assault equivalents are just tougher.

I really don't see how clan is at a disadvantage. They're faster and more powerful at long range, and mechs like the Night Gyr/Blood Asp/Direwolf can stack JJs and ECM on-top of that advantage.

#58 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:08 PM

View PostKnightKnownasNii, on 02 November 2021 - 11:54 AM, said:

2. Fixing the "tab out" crashes - This has been a issue for a long time. Why are we not trying to find the cause and fix it?

I just wanted to add that this issue has physically burned out two graphics cards, costing me several hundred dollars not spent directly on MWO. I don't know if anyone else has suffered a similar fate, but this isn't just an annoyance issue. This is causing physical damage to our personal computers, none of which are cheap to fix. Presently, I'm using "full window" as a workaround, but that only became a possibility once NVidia enabled recording of windows or the desktop, and not locked to a fullscreen game.

On an unrelated note: I miss old Polar Conquest, and having far-flung fights bringing us all over a giant map. I miss the gently rolling hills and wide open terrain. Literally the closest we could get to a proper battlemech fight at full speed with much less peeking and poking. Battlemechs are supposed to be open-field combatants, not something that pokes out of cover like an infantryman. Oh how I wish everything was properly destructible. I know PGI doesn't have the development resources available right now, but that's definitely something that should be on the back burner and developed slowly over time: If you're hiding behind a building to get away from LRMs, that building should collapse under the barrage, or catch fire and burn down, or something. Battlemechs put out a LOT of damage, and buildings are known to be highly susceptible to that, not impervious.

I also maintain my severe disdain for the asinine redesign of HPG manifold. Ramps to the outer defensive works is the stupidest thing anyone could ever have come up with and NEEDS to be reverted. In addition: Domination used to make sense: we're moving towards the dish. Now, we have this stupidly large dish on the side of the map, and we're adding a baby dish on a random walkway in the complex below? And we're fighting over it? WTF?!!

We don't need map redesigns. We need objective and drop relocation. Preferably randomly from match-to-match. Games are always more fun and improved when people DON'T know exactly where to go, and DON'T know to line up on a specific spot and shoot without even aiming because the enemy ALWAYS comes that way. Variety is the spice of life, and ruining old maps doesn't add variety. It just ruins old maps.

Maps aren't the problem: Domination is.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 14 November 2021 - 08:10 PM.

#59 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 14 November 2021 - 08:08 PM, said:

I just wanted to add that this issue has physically burned out two graphics cards, costing me several hundred dollars not spent directly on MWO. I don't know if anyone else has suffered a similar fate, but this isn't just an annoyance issue. This is causing physical damage to our personal computers, none of which are cheap to fix. Presently, I'm using "full window" as a workaround, but that only became a possibility once NVidia enabled recording of windows or the desktop,

MWO burn out two GPUs? Posted Image sure.

Full Screen Window is not a workaround - it is actually a proper method provided by the game that will basically reduce all crashes from Alt-Tab to zero.

Furthermore the feature has been there forever.

It has had absolutely nothing to do with NVidia enabling anything. I've been using it since the first couple of months after playing after advice from other players (easily found on the forum) said to change ot Full Screen Window and problems would completely disappear and that is exactly what happened.

#60 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:42 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 November 2021 - 01:26 PM, said:

It has had absolutely nothing to do with NVidia enabling anything. I've been using it since the first couple of months after playing after advice from other players (easily found on the forum) said to change ot Full Screen Window and problems would completely disappear and that is exactly what happened.

Technically yes and no... Nvidia's GeForce Experience seems to love to revert your graphics settings to fullscreen, even when you chose full window...

That's if you use that to set the settings for your hardware combo.

So just double check your settings every time after running GFE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users