Thinking About Spending Money, Recommend Me A Pack/bundle

5 replies to this topic

#1 lordminx

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 05:01 AM

Soooooo, been playing MWO for a few months now, so far I really like it, and now with the annual reward thingy I'm actually tempted to spend some money. (I'm a sucker for missing the sale, but oh well...)

Now, since I'm also poor, I want to try and minimize buyers remorse and hope for some recommendations.

What I've played and enjoyed so far, mech-wise:

- By far my most successfull (and by extension fun) mech has been a 2LRM/4ERML Centurion. Being ably to do indirect fire has allowed me to do damage while still learning cover/movement/aiming, the lasers pack an ok punch and I even fit a laser AMS there, so yay, feels like a solid support mech and is fun to play.

- I then tried my hand at lights, with an Arctic Cheetah (hard, but fun) and a stealth SRM Commando, and I feel like I'm getting better, but its def harder than the medium support role. Still, when the stars align, I don't overcommit and manage to catch some heavies in the right moment its good fun.

- My second medium is a Vapor Eagle, first running 2PPC and later switching 2 gauss rifles, which has been a bit of a struggle. Sniping is fun, as are the added maneuverability of jump jets, but it feels awefully squishy and I'm still struggling with the aim to do the build justice. Also, I'm too often fodder for knifefighty lights.

For heavies I only have the free warhammer from ... I wanna say september? Anyway, I've yet to really find a way to use it well. I feel like I present too big a target while being too green to position/maneuver well. Dunno.

Soooooo, with that long-winded life-story out of the way: I'm in the market for new mechs and I'm tempted to spend real money.

I'd like to try my hand at heavier mechs, but I am still pretty new, so something that only shines with skill and pinpoint aiming will ony make me sad. I'd also be interested in mechs that allow different playstyles? Like, maybe something more brawl-y? Or maybe a mech pack that offers a wide variety of non-sucky mechs, so that I can experiment more freely.

Thanks in advance.

M

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:32 AM

View Postlordminx, on 04 November 2021 - 05:01 AM, said:

Thinking About Spending Money, Recommend Me A Pack/bundle

The crucial question is: How many dollars are you willing to spend?

#3 lordminx

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:07 AM

View Postmartian, on 04 November 2021 - 06:32 AM, said:

The crucial question is: How many dollars are you willing to spend?

Ah, yes, that is a good question! Lets go with "not a whole lot"?

I think anything above, like, 30$ seems like an absurd amount of money for virtual robots and even then I'm mostly eyeing the package deals. (Like, the Solaris 7 package seems like an ok-ish value/$, even if it comes with a bunch of weird Solaris 7 specific stuff I don't care about? Unless the seven mechs are sub-par or weird/limited somehow?)

Soooo, yeah, lets go with 30$ as an upper limit, preferably less, potentially a bit more for a mindblowing option I'm unaware of or something.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:49 AM

Some personal musings follow:

View Postlordminx, on 04 November 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

Ah, yes, that is a good question! Lets go with "not a whole lot"?
Soooo, yeah, lets go with 30$ as an upper limit, preferably less, potentially a bit more for a mindblowing option I'm unaware of or something.

Well, I expected something in the $100 range. Posted Image

For 30 bucks, you can not expect much ...

30 dollars can buy you light 'Mechs such as Koshi, Hankyu (you already have it) or Panther from older packs.

Resistance II pack has some good 'Mechs, but they are mostly laser boats, i.e. good for pinpoint damage - and you said that you do not want that.

Marauder IIC (with "Scorch" add-on) and Mad Cat Mk. II packages have some interesting 'Mechs, but you said you do not want „big“ ‚Mech for now.

Nova Cat pack (with Hero add-on to get "Cobra Cat" for earning C-Bills") could be good. Nova Cats are versatile 'Mechs and they can be configured in many ways. The downside is that they are not exactly fast. The hard-wired engine can not be changed.

View Postlordminx, on 04 November 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

I think anything above, like, 30$ seems like an absurd amount of money for virtual robots and even then I'm mostly eyeing the package deals. (Like, the Solaris 7 package seems like an ok-ish value/$, even if it comes with a bunch of weird Solaris 7 specific stuff I don't care about? Unless the seven mechs are sub-par or weird/limited somehow?)

Solaris 7 pack has some relatively good 'Mechs in it:
1. UrbanMech "Street Cleaner“ is one of the better Urbies. It can be fun. 3-4/5
2. Firestarter "Firestorm“ is the worst Firestarter currently in the game. Maybe they will change its quirks, but nobody knows „when“. Until that day, it will stay parked in the hangar. 1/5
3. Griffin "Ares“ has energy/missile hardpoints. It can be configured with lasers/SRMs or lasers/LRMs, but it works best with MRMs. Not bad in lower Tiers, a bit weak in Tier 1. Better average, I would say. 3/5
4. Rifleman "Dao Breaker“. Finally got the proper quirks and I would say it could be good in lower Tiers. A bit weak in Tier 1, where people know how to target its weak spots. You must learn how to play it. 3/5 in lower Tiers.
5. Vulture "Revenant“. Just another Vulture. Chin-mounted lasers add some remarkableness. If everything fails, boat SRMs or LRMs. Not bad, not great either. 3/5
6. Banshee "Siren“. It has one or two passable loadouts, but mostly pinpoint ones. 3/5
7. Atlas "Kraken“. Good for brawling. I can not say that I see it often, because high Tiers players often prefer pinpoint alphas on few hundred meters. 4/5 when brawling, 2/5 when caught in the open.

#5 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:56 AM

At the moment, the best bang for your buck might be the Hunter Pack and the Tournament Supporter Pack ($20+$10)

With the Hunter Pack you'll get four mechs, two with a c-bill bonus, (the Stalker is strong), and a lot of extra swag like GSP and cockpit items, especially with the early adopter bonus.

The Tournament Supporter Pack will give you some MC, GSP cockpit items, a temporary c-bill boost, and 30 days of Premium Time, good value for ten bucks.

You can also wait for the next sale, which should come soon enough with the Holiday season soon upon us.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#6 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, go with the Warden or Hunter package for the Atlas and take a "hero" light from any pack - I suggest you get the Kitfox for the Viper, if you are interested ing etting the Mechs from the annual reward program.
If you are in dire need of an Urbie, invest the minimal MC-package.
All in all well above 30 USD, but only if you *need* to have it all.

All the mentioned Mechs are Clan-chassis and can be transformed into almost anything you want.

Edited by latinisator, 04 November 2021 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users