Rookie

• The Deputy
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDunno

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:40 AM

Heyyo,

I've been playing MWO for months now,
I'm currently out of Tier 4... Again...

I've also been reading forums trying to figure out how to make a good yet fun builds, doing that made me found out how the meta was like and most importantly:
How viable RAC builds are in general.

So I've been diving through them and seeing builds after builds, but so far I haven't seen a build using RACs as mainly a support-like weapon but as a main. So I thought to myself, 'how come no one tries a RAC and AC action? Cause if a weapon like a RAC can be less damaging by torso twisting, how come there is no high precision AC thrown into the action to crack that armor and use an overly sized machinegun?

So Currently I have two RAC mechs
My Centurion, which has a LRM5, 2xSRM4s, Light Machinegun and RAC5,
And my Warhammer R6, Which just has 2xRAC5s and 2xLightPPCs.

I used to have a Firestarter with a RAC5, but it kept suffering due to enemies hiding away, me being out in the open for abit and getting struck with a Truckload of DPS and dying.
I replaced its RAC5 with a UAC10 and it's now doing well for harassment.

Currently my Warhammer had a taste of tier 3 and suffered kinda badly, mostly due to my part being tilted, but also due to similar reasons (and don't forget running to the side where most of the enemies where at). However it may be due to how my Centurion was easy to use and how piloting the Warhammer needed me improve my piloting...

So yeah, I'll change my strategy with RACs to suit the new playing field. However I want to experiment with RACs and want to ask if anyone has tried doing it.

Either way, I'll still commit to investing into a Victor for a Assault Ballistic Build

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:27 AM

View PostVeryBallistic1, on 13 November 2021 - 04:40 AM, said:

Heyyo,

Welcome to the MWO forums!

I've been playing MWO for months now,
I'm currently out of Tier 4... Again...

Congrats!

How viable RAC builds are in general.

In lower Tiers (let us say T3-T5) they can be quite viable. They lose some viability in T2 and you rarely see them in T1 games.

So I've been diving through them and seeing builds after builds, but so far I haven't seen a build using RACs as mainly a support-like weapon but as a main. So I thought to myself, 'how come no one tries a RAC and AC action? Cause if a weapon like a RAC can be less damaging by torso twisting, how come there is no high precision AC thrown into the action to crack that armor and use an overly sized machinegun?

If you have standard ACs, UACs and LBXs, you can "unload" your alpha strike and twist your torso.

On the other hand, RACs require a lot of face time.

So Currently I have two RAC mechs
My Centurion, which has a LRM5, 2xSRM4s, Light Machinegun and RAC5,

If I can say my opinion, this is not a good build for any Centurion. What exact variant of the Centurion do you own? I would guess that CN9-AH?

And my Warhammer R6, Which just has 2xRAC5s and 2xLightPPCs.

Currently my Warhammer had a taste of tier 3 and suffered kinda badly, mostly due to my part being tilted, but also due to similar reasons (and don't forget running to the side where most of the enemies where at).

WHM-6R Warhammer is a solid 'Mech.

I think that one reason can be that in T3 you meet more T1 and T2 players.

I would suggest re-arming your Warhammer with twin UAC-10s or twin LBX-10s with 4 (6 in the latter case) medium lasers as backup weapons.

When moving to a higher Tier, loadout and tactics adjustment can be necessary sometimes.

However it may be due to how my Centurion was easy to use and how piloting the Warhammer needed me improve my piloting...

The Centurion is smaller, faster, has better silhouette and some good armour and structure quirks.

I used to have a Firestarter with a RAC5, but it kept suffering due to enemies hiding away, me being out in the open for abit and getting struck with a Truckload of DPS and dying.
I replaced its RAC5 with a UAC10 and it's now doing well for harassment.

Well, heavy ballistic weapon is not the most optimal armament for a light 'Mech.

So yeah, I'll change my strategy with RACs to suit the new playing field. However I want to experiment with RACs and want to ask if anyone has tried doing it.

Do you own other 'Mechs than the Centurion, Warhammer, Victor and Firestarter?

Either way, I'll still commit to investing into a Victor for a Assault Ballistic Build

What exact variant of the Victor do you own?

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:58 AM

Hey, a warm welcome back to MWO again!

You've mentioned far too many chassis to give specific build advice... but we'll try!

1) Warhammer WHM-6R, a very versatile mech!

A fellow MWO'er, Aidan Crenshaw mentioned below build, which I really liked due to its 75kph speed:
https://mwo.nav-alph...684500d0_WHM-6R
https://mwomercs.com...9-new-warhammer

The speed/mobility of a Medium, with the firepower of a Heavy Posted Image

2) For T4/T5, I do find that RAC+AC works also. Lots of face time though.
It's a 1-trick-pony: against players who do not know what to do under RAC fire, it's very effective as such!

2a) Some folks like 3x RAC2 + 3x AC2 which can be fielded on the few mechs with 6x ballistic hardpoints such as:
Mauler MAL-MX90
Annihilator ANH-2A
King Crab KGC-000

2b ) I like below armament better; can be fielded on a lot more mechs, as need only 4x ballistic hardpoints:
2x RAC5 + 2x AC2
Cyclops Slepnir
Mauler
Corsair
NightStar
Marauder II
Fafnir
Annihilator
King Crab

Once opponent figures out how to handle RAC's (hint: it's long spin-up time), you'll be better off with other weapons like UAC or LBX!

Edited by w0qj, 13 November 2021 - 06:15 AM.

#4 VeryBallistic1

Rookie

• The Deputy
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDunno

Posted 13 November 2021 - 06:52 AM

If I can say my opinion, this is not a good build for any Centurion. What exact variant of the Centurion do you own? I would guess that CN9-AH?

Yes that's correct, I was really just testing it out before but I liked it.

Didn't try it in Tier 3 yet, Imma test it out later...

WHM-6R Warhammer is a solid 'Mech.

I think that one reason can be that in T3 you meet more T1 and T2 players.

I would suggest re-arming your Warhammer with twin UAC-10s or twin LBX-10s with 4 (6 in the latter case) medium lasers as backup weapons.

When moving to a higher Tier, loadout and tactics adjustment can be necessary sometimes.

Sure, I had a great time with the usage of UAC10s and I love the look of my warhammer,
I kinda wanna show it to someone (but I don't know how to)

Well, heavy ballistic weapon is not the most optimal armament for a light

Well the firestarter (I call him Warstarter) was my experimenting in light mechs after being brought into the light mech gameplay by the Adder-Prime(c) in the Trial Mech Sections
Also watching Baradul has given me a fair share of crazy ideas.

What exact variant of the Victor do you own?

What I meant by Invest is buying the mech as another sale would probably come soon,
I would probably buy the VTR-9A1 due to the hardpoints

Do you own other 'Mechs than the Centurion, Warhammer, Victor and Firestarter?

Ok I'll list them down and how they're doing in the game,

Lights: 3
ADR-Prime (WHITEDEATH)
2xC-ERPPC
My favourite out of my three light mechs, very reliable and was my first light mech,
saw it in the Trial Mechs Section and instantly fell in love with it's crazy firepower.
Still works in Tier 3

LCT-PB
4xSLasers, 2xHMGs
I had some stock MC left and wonder, what should I buy with my remaining MC from the LootBag?
Probally the worst Idea I had... However I've been enjoying being a daredevil and doing well once in a while...
(btw I was still able to buy some mechbays but not as much)

FS9-H (WARSTARTER)
1xUAC10, 2xSLasers
Second light mech, this is my second regret, however switching to an UAC10 made it what I wanted it to do without dying to much... From what I've seen so far in Tier 3, If you have any nice Light Builds that may suit me, tell me one.

Mediums: 6
ACW-BK (DEVILDOOG)
1xUAC20, 4xERSLasers
The first hero mech I bought, I got it from a Baradul Video, Still works like a dream.
This is also when I first spent some moneys on the game, not too much but enought to get a nice mech.

CN9-AH (CENTURIONJAC)
This one was an experimental build that I wanted to do, I stuck with it as it was pretty good as a support/Second-Line Mech. Harassing Fire from an LRM5 before closing in with SRMs, an LMG and a RAC5 which could also be used in Harassing fire.
Haven't tried him in tier 3 yet, But I'm kinda confident in Its ability.

ENF-5P (PEEPINTHORNS)
1xUAC10, 2xLMGs, 1MediumPulseLaser
My first mech, This guy had to go through pain of being a duel UAC5 user until I refitted him,
He did well in his second Tier 3 Match after some adjusting.

PXH-1B
1xLbxAC10, 2xMediumPulseLasers, ECM
This guy was an alrighty mech, he provides harassing fire, Also I wanted him to be a Light Clubber but also worked as a flanker.
Haven't tried him in Tier 3 yet.

SHD-2K (PLASMAHAWK)
3xLightPPCs, 2xSRM4
It works weirdly, sometimes he works as intended and sometimes he doesn't. In general, He was a harassment type of guy, blasting 3 LightPPCS at far Targets. I kinda want to sell him but I enjoy PPC plays (they're basically Ballistic but as an Energy).
Too scared to try him in Tier 3 cause I haven't stabilised in this Tier.

VGL-1
2XHeavyLargeLasers, 2xERMedium Lasers, 3xLMGs
This guy was a build from a Baradul Video. This was also my introduction to MGs and now I want to find some nice builds with them ever since. He's pretty Meta for sure, so Tier 3 didn't faze it too much.

Heavys: 4
ARC-5S
2xMRM20, 2xSRM4, 3xMediumPulseLasers
This guy is kinda good, An armor shredding build. I kinda want to refit him, have any ideas?
Trying him out for Tier 3

ON1-IIC-A (MEATMAULER)
1xLbxAC20, 4xSRM6+Artemis
Based off the Champion Build, I feel like it's gonna be a goner in the higher tiers, But I do enjoy those few Brawling Moments.
I want to try an ATM build for him, so I'm not using him for now.

WHM-6R (DAKKATEMPEST)
This is the one with RAC5s, I named him that because of how I grew interested with the Idea of ACs and PPCs being Thunder and Lightning. I am going to refit him tomorrow.

WHM-R6 (NEEHAMMER)
1xUAC20, 2xSnubPPCs
When I thought of doing some FP, I wanted to make my own pro group and make It's Callsign NEE, It was suppose to be the Flagmech of it but after seeing the state of it, I decided to wait. Also took the Build from a Baradul Video. The Build is Pretty Good.

Assaults: 3
AS7-D-DC
1xUAC20, 2xMRM30, ECM
This time it's not from Baradul, but from a TTB video, I like Steiner Scouts.
Still does well.

MAL- MX90
2xMRM40, 4xHMG, 1xLargePulseLaser, AMS
This one was a Crazy Build I wanted to make, I now understood how MRMs are...(Not good as Main Weapons)
Will refit him later with UAC10s instead of MRMs...
Haven't tried him in Tier 3.

STK-3F
4xLargeLasers, 2ERMediumLasers, 2xLRM10
This is the last guy I have, This is my Attempt in making a Meta Mech in the dark, He does well in Tier 3.I will buy a Dragon, Bloodaps and that Victor with my last 3 slots once a sale come up.

I'll see the reply tomorrow cause for me It's late and I'm tired (nearing 11PM at my area), I thought it would take some time for someone to reply.

EDIT
It is Tomorrow,

2) For T4/T5, I do find that RAC+AC works also. Lots of face time though.
It's a 1-trick-pony: against players who do not know what to do under RAC fire, it's very effective as such!

Oh that was the answer to the question above, Thanks! I'll still try it though.

Edited by VeryBallistic1, 13 November 2021 - 04:11 PM.

#5 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:12 AM

i run a MAD-4L Marauder II (2 RAC/5s (4t ammo), 2 LBX/2s (2t ammo), 2 MLs, ECM, running an LE-350 4 DHS and Endo (with just a little armor stripped from each leg)

on my Mauler MAL-MX90(C) (2 RAC/5s (3 1/2t ammo), 2 AC/5s (2t ammo), 2 MLs running an LE-310 with 3 DHS and Endo (again stripping a bit of armor from the legs)

those are the only two i run with mixed ballistics.

oh i also have an MCII-B (2 U-AC/10s (4t ammo), 2 U-AC/2s (3 1/2t ammo), 2 ER-MLs, 1 L-AMS running an XL-365 with 6 DHS Endo and FF with a single pnt stripped from each leg)

i don't really run the clan mech very often, don't think i have pulled it out in a very long time. i couldn't tell you if any are "Meta' builds because i honestly don't care. i would rather have build that is fun than some cookie cutter nonsense you see on every other mech. i say have fun play what you like and tell the meta try hard cry babies to go shove it. (if you want to run "meta' i'm not telling you not to just don't make it your be all end all. fun is far more important as long as you are contributing your fair share to the fight it shouldn't matter what your packing)

honestly if you are going to mix Ballistics though its far easier to do it with Assaults given the weight of such weapons. (though i agree that the Centurion does better with more shoot and twist/ shoot and duck type loadouts so you can use that big shield arm to absorb some fire).

#6 VeryBallistic1

Rookie

• The Deputy
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDunno

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:21 PM

i don't really run the clan mech very often, don't think i have pulled it out in a very long time. i couldn't tell you if any are "Meta' builds because i honestly don't care. i would rather have build that is fun than some cookie cutter nonsense you see on every other mech.

I agree on that (That's why I'm going to make as much wonky and viable ballistic builds as I can)

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:04 AM

View PostVeryBallistic1, on 13 November 2021 - 06:52 AM, said:

Yes that's correct, I was really just testing it out before but I liked it.

Didn't try it in Tier 3 yet, Imma test it out later...

Well, I know that you would like to try RAC-5, but CN9-AH was designed with AC-20 in mind. You should try it with AC-20 and some SRMs or MRMs.

The trick is to fire everything you have and then twist your 'Mech's torso right, so the enemy return fire will hit your 'Mech's left arm. This is why the Centurion has those Shield (left) arm armor and structure bonuses, even though the Centurion has no weapon there.

Of course, the execution depends on the exact situation that you are in. Sometimes the torso twisting is not necessary.

1. Closing to the target ...

Posted Image

2. ... getting ready ...

Posted Image

3. ... firing your weapons ...

Posted Image

4. Torso twisting again, so your shield arm eats the enemy's return fire.

Posted Image

Sure, I had a great time with the usage of UAC10s and I love the look of my warhammer,
I kinda wanna show it to someone (but I don't know how to)

It is quite simple:

1. Go to your 'Mechlab. Press "Print Screen" key on your keyboard.
You folder with screenshots should be here:
C:\Users\User\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online

2. Find some web image hosting service.
For example Imgur, but there are many other free image hostings. Create a free account there (a matter of a minute) and upload your image from the "Screenshots" folder. Click "Add images".

3. Click on your uploaded image and copy the link.

Posted Image

4. When writing your reply here, insert the copied link in your reply.

Posted Image

5. That's it. Posted Image

Well the firestarter (I call him Warstarter) was my experimenting in light mechs after being brought into the light mech gameplay by the Adder-Prime(c) in the Trial Mech Sections

Light 'Mechs are best suited for energy weapons, machine guns and light missiles. Clan 'Mechs can afford to carry heavy ballistic weapons, since Clan weapons are lighter and smaller than Inner Sphere ones. But usually this is exception, not the rule.

What I meant by Invest is buying the mech as another sale would probably come soon,
I would probably buy the VTR-9A1 due to the hardpoints

There are two things that you should consider before buying:
1. The Victor is not the most powerful or the best Assault 'Mech in MWO.

2. However, VTR-9A1 is the only Victor variant that can carry three AC-10s. So if you really like it, go for it.

Ok I'll list them down and how they're doing in the game,

You have got some solid selection of 'Mechs, although I think the Enforcer is a bit weaker.

I would remove various MGs from some heavier 'Mechs, because you often do not get close enough to use them.

Maybe you should wait with the Dragon.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 11:08 AM

As a rule of thumb u should try to double your firepower and half the type of weapons in use.

Of all the builds adder and atlas are solid.

#9 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:11 PM

@Op,

MRMs not a good main weapon? My MAD-9M and Wolf Phoenix would like to have a word with you. Posted Image
Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 12:08 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 15 November 2021 - 10:11 PM, said:

@Op,

MRMs not a good main weapon? My MAD-9M and Wolf Phoenix would like to have a word with you. Posted Image
Good hunting,
CFC Conky

MRMs can be good and fun to use, but eventually you will reach the limits of their usefulness.

#11 Heart of Storm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 155 posts
  • Location[Redacted]

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:49 AM

Not sure if OP is still checking this but I ran an annihilator with triple RAC 2s and a pair of LB10s, easy 800-1000 damage a match with it provided your team didn't nascar off over the horizon and leave you for the Piranhas..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users