Oculus Touch Controller

7 replies to this topic

#1 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:17 AM

After injuring my wrist by overdoing the WASD a few months ago I decided to try and play with an Oculus Touch controller from my Oculus Rift S. Since you can play without rotating your wrist it can prevent injuries when playing long hours.

I'm using OculusDemo from that SharpLibHid project to map the input to keyboard keys. In my case the mappings are setup for AZERTY however. Also, left hand uses mouse and right hand uses Touch Input so you may want to use the left hand controller instead.

There is no UI so you will have to modify the code to get it to work for you.
I'm also contemplating doing an implementation using the Oculus SDK rather than raw HID to make it easier to use advanced features such as vibration and IMU. However I have no idea if and when I'll get around doing that.

It takes a bit of getting use to and customizing it the way you want takes time. But now I can't play without it. I'm actually surprised at how good it turns out to be. I'm now very competitive with it even in 130kph mechs.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:22 AM

View PostSlion, on 01 January 2022 - 03:17 AM, said:

It takes a bit of getting use to and customizing it the way you want takes time. But now I can't play without it. I'm actually surprised at how good it turns out to be. I'm now very competitive with it even in 130kph mechs.

What are your favorite 'Mechs?

#3 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:05 AM

View Postmartian, on 01 January 2022 - 03:22 AM, said:

What are your favorite 'Mechs?

My all time favourite is a fast ACW-1 (SRMs). I don’t often drive lights. Otherwise JM6-FB (Pulses), CP-S (LBX), MCII-B (UAC), KGC-000 (MG+MRM), lately I also found some use for my DWF-UV. Mostly mid-range or brawler builds. It's not often I play snipper. I have not played much LRMs in a long time. I liked my KTO-GB too but I don't think I used it with the Touch. I also don't usually run jump jets and I never tried it with Touch. I did grind through the Rivals event with RGH-BLT and SNS-AMB though it was painfully slow. I'm just not good with them. I don't think I would have done better with a keyboard.

Depending of you build you will obviously need to adapt your mappings. I've only used three buttons on the touch mostly like that:
Grip trigger: chat
Index trigger: weapon group 3
Joystick button: target
Joystick is mapped to WSAD (ZQSD in my case)
You could also map the other buttons to whatever you want for convenience but they are not really usable in the heat of the action as you need to lift your thumb from the joystick to use them.
Tag could actually be mapped to one of the proximity sensor if you want to have it always on. Like the joystick or index trigger proximity sensor.

Edited by Slion, 01 January 2022 - 10:09 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:15 AM

View PostSlion, on 01 January 2022 - 10:05 AM, said:

My all time favourite is a fast ACW-1 (SRMs). I don’t often drive lights. Otherwise JM6-FB (Pulses), CP-S (LBX), MCII-B (UAC), KGC-000 (MG+MRM), lately I also found some use for my DWF-UV. Mostly mid-range or brawler builds. It's not often I play snipper. I have not played much LRMs in a long time. I liked my KTO-GB too but I don't think I used it with the Touch. I also don't usually run jump jets and I never tried it with Touch. I did grind through the Rivals event with RGH-BLT and SNS-AMB though it was painfully slow. I'm just not good with them. I don't think I would have done better with a keyboard.

I see that you are more fond of heavy and assault 'Mechs, rather than light and medium 'Mechs.

#5 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:10 AM

View Postmartian, on 01 January 2022 - 10:15 AM, said:

I see that you are more fond of heavy and assault 'Mechs, rather than light and medium 'Mechs.

Well actually most my time is spent in that medium Artic Wolf so not so accurate in terms of hours played. I reckon I'm like three quarter of my time in that mech.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:17 AM

View PostSlion, on 01 January 2022 - 11:10 AM, said:

Well actually most my time is spent in that medium Artic Wolf so not so accurate in terms of hours played. I reckon I'm like three quarter of my time in that mech.

I approve. Posted Image The Arctic Wolf is a good 'Mech.

Do you have that Loyalty Viper that PGI gave away as a reward a month ago? A good 'Mech too.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:55 PM

i still swear by my ch pro throttle and pedals. you really dont need the pedals as the throttle has an analog thumbstick you can use for steering. never touch the keyboard except to chat. my mouse also has a lot of extra buttons.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 January 2022 - 02:58 PM.

#8 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:27 PM

View Postmartian, on 01 January 2022 - 11:17 AM, said:

Do you have that Loyalty Viper that PGI gave away as a reward a month ago? A good 'Mech too.

Sadly no, I think I missed that one.

View PostLordNothing, on 01 January 2022 - 02:55 PM, said:

i still swear by my ch pro throttle and pedals. you really dont need the pedals as the throttle has an analog thumbstick you can use for steering. never touch the keyboard except to chat. my mouse also has a lot of extra buttons.

That would do to Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users