Reduced Minimum Range Skills

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:49 PM

We have skills to reduce LBX and Missile spread, Increase charge time for gauss, and reduce cooldown for UAC/RAC jam...

What about a few skills to reduce minimum range for Heavy PPC/reg PPC and LRM/ATM systems?

While I hate encouraging missile and ppc boating, minimum range reduction skills might make it worth spending 10 tons to fit a Heavy PPC into a build, or mounting a missile system secondary instead of a larger TC to compliment a laser build. I mean, when it comes down to it, most games end up in a brawl that's usually close range and usually inside the minimum of those systems.

Yes, the reg PPC got changed to have the same redux in dmg as clan lrms. That's a load of BS really.. Sorry to say. A Clan LRM20 MIGHT do 1 or 2 dmg inside 100m, but really it's just not worth firing unless it's all you have. Given the performance of those systems, I imagine the PPC is getting similar. It might be better since it's a single projectile and might parse better, but given how much tonnage and heat PPCs cost, again, it probably isn't worth firing inside the minimum. So, maybe it's time to update the skills to add a couple (2 for missiles, 2 for PPCs) skills to the skill tree?

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:45 PM

markedly reducing the minimum range of LRMs would be a big boost to the LRM boats in the world, minimizing the best counter to them. that might be a bit much.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:03 AM

View PostGhoja, on 04 December 2021 - 10:49 PM, said:

<<< snip >>>

What about a few skills to reduce minimum range for Heavy PPC/reg PPC and LRM/ATM systems?

<<< snip >>>

So, maybe it's time to update the skills to add a couple (2 for missiles, 2 for PPCs) skills to the skill tree?

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 05 December 2021 - 07:45 PM, said:

markedly reducing the minimum range of LRMs would be a big boost to the LRM boats in the world, minimizing the best counter to them. that might be a bit much.

Depending on the number of Nodes and how powerful they are, this could possibly be well-balanced in the final outcome of things. Instead of needing multiple separate Nodes being applied, maybe we really only need just one. It could be "-15% Minimum Range" in strength, and would be best-placed down below "Heat Gen"s #10 & #11 on the bottom-left of the "Firepower" Skill Node Tree's area. This would then require the significant investment of 11 Skill Nodes prior to having access, and would very much equally balance it against the "Gauss & PPC Meta" and the "Lock-On Boats" that both seem to make people ridiculously cranky. After all, we would need to make something which is this juicy require that people have to dig down to acquire it, right? :D

Oh, and that reminds me, even though I'm not trying to derail things... Somebody needs to get PGI to strengthen those "Missile Spread" Skill Nodes to -3% on each. They are simply too weak at only -2.5% right now. Maybe my mind is crazy, but I'm beginning to think that I should launch a fresh Thread for that? :(

~D. V. "Why use multiple Skill Nodes to lower Minimum Range when a single deep-buried strong one is enough?" Devnull

#4 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

I was mostly thinking of the Heavy PPC and ATM systems when I thought of this.

Heavy PPCs because they cost 10 tons, have a large cooldown (5.5sec iirc), and a large heat cost.
ATMs because unless you have large systems or a fair amount of them, AMS can easily handle shooting most of them down.

I was thinking maybe a 20% max total, that's 24m for LRM/ATM and 18m for the PPCs. Not enough to really save a boat mech if it doesn't have secondaries, but might allow getting an extra shot off if it's only being come after by 1 mech.

Keep it at more than 1 skill node, it's not something that should be cheap. Mostly because of boating.

Another thought would be to make this into quirks... for mechs that only have 1 missile system or 1 or 2 energy systems.

Edited by Ghoja, 06 December 2021 - 11:57 AM.

#5 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:35 AM

Even if they just change IS LRMs to have the ramp-up like Clan LRMs, I'd already be happy with that.

#6 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 07:20 PM

IS LRMs are already strong enough without ramp up... the fact that they fire in a group instead of strung out makes them much better at making it through enemy AMS, besides, IS already has MRMs.

#7 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 09:58 AM

I think the basic idea here is a very good one.

Minimum weapon ranges just suck, and are basically absurd from a military standpoint, unless they are super short minimum ranges for safety reasons, like 5 meters (max) for highly explosive type weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users