2 replies to this topic

#1 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:21 AM

After taking a long break from mwo, I came back this past September. I quickly noticed the mwo client would disconnect me during the first ~30 minutes, typically just one time, with the message "a network error has occurred".

This was happening often enough, I knew this was not a fluke, but it didn’t happen often enough for me to troubleshoot this quickly. My ping is a consistent 30-40.

After that first dc, with a few exceptions, my game client would run fine the rest of the day with no problem. Talk about annoying.

The really weird thing is the disconnect could occur at anytime running the game client: during a match, in testing grounds, and even just tooling around in the mechlab. Once I realized the pattern, I would just hang out in the mechlab until the dc occurred, and then start playing.

Even though my symptoms did not quite match other examples I found in this forum, I changed my dns to Google, per common wisdom. Didn’t help.

On a hunch, I uninstalled Avast antivirus and have been disconnect free for three weeks now. I started playing MWO back in 2012, and this was never a problem in the past.

Since I only use this machine for gaming, it is not a big risk for me to run w/o third party antivirus software on it.

TLDR
If you are experiencing random disconnects, try disabling your antivirus.

#2 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:38 AM

View Postknight-of-ni, on 13 December 2021 - 07:21 AM, said:

On a hunch, I uninstalled Avast antivirus and have been disconnect free for three weeks now. I started playing MWO back in 2012, and this was never a problem in the past.

Since I only use this machine for gaming, it is not a big risk for me to run w/o third party antivirus software on it.
TLDR
If you are experiencing random disconnects, try disabling your antivirus.

You could also add an exception in avast (or windows defender) for MWO Posted Image
I do that for a few games.

Edited by MrVaad, 13 December 2021 - 11:39 AM.

#3 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:42 PM

Advanced firewall to block intruders

Usually, if it is the antivirus itself, it prevents a game from actually logging in due to a false positive. In this instance, if it is the free version - Avast One Essential, it comes with its own firewall. And depending on its default settings and how game packets are coming in, if the packets are being throttled/held up then released it could view it as an attack, temporarily closing down that port. One usually sees this with router or gateway with its own software firewall, which is usually more aligned with SPI (stateful packet inspection).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users