How To "git Gud" With The Panther?

11 replies to this topic

#1 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:10 PM

Hello all,

I purchased a Panther in the most recent sale and I'm having some trouble finding my role or position in the team with this 'mech. For the record, my previous go-to 'mech was the Blackjack BJ-1 with a superstock AC/2 build, here is the build I've been using on the Panther: https://mwo.nav-alph...4d9b33fd_PNT-9R

How do you Panther? What's your build? How long did it take for you to "click" with it and really start contributing to your team?

Thanks!

Edited by KaptinOrk, 30 November 2021 - 05:24 AM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:31 PM

I'd use it as a mid-longrange peaker with either 2x ER PPC or 2x LPL or brawl with 4 mpl+srm4, but with a short range loadout, you are more dependent on having a heavy or assault for support.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:36 PM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 29 November 2021 - 11:10 PM, said:

Hello all,

I purchased a Panther in the most recent sale and I'm having some trouble finding my role or position in the team with this 'mech. For the record, my previous go-to 'mech was the Blackjack BJ-1 with a superstock AC/2 build, here is the build I've been using on the Panther: https://mwo.nav-alph...33fd_PNT-9R

How do you Panther? What's your build? How long did it take for you to "click" with it and really start contributing to your team?

Thanks!

Hello!

First, your link is not correct. It should be like this:
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=4d9b33fd_PNT-9R

That %3C/p%3E should not be there.

Second, those MRMs are really not neccessary on your build. If your primary weapon is ER PPC with the range 810 m, then adding MRMs with the max range 550 m is a bit superfluous. Especially if the really effective range of MRMs is much shorter.

Try a pair of PPCs or a pair of LPLs, if you have them in your inventory. You can even try quad Light PPCs (they are lighter than a pair of standard PPCs while doing the same damage).

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:41 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 November 2021 - 11:36 PM, said:

You can even try quad Light PPCs (they are lighter than a pair of standard PPCs while doing the same damage).

4 LPPCs even do more dmg (22 vs 20) and don't have a min range. However, they induce ghost heat if fired all 4 together.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:50 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 29 November 2021 - 11:41 PM, said:

4 LPPCs even do more dmg (22 vs 20) and don't have a min range. However, they induce ghost heat if fired all 4 together.

Exactly. Both variants have their pros and cons.

#6 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:43 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 29 November 2021 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'd use it as a mid-longrange peaker with either 2x ER PPC or 2x LPL or brawl with 4 mpl+srm4, but with a short range loadout, you are more dependent on having a heavy or assault for support.

I was thinking mid-range skirmish/peeker for play style, it seems to line up with the current Turretwarrior meta. I like brawling, but I need more time to get used to the Panther before I commit to close range play. Do you find that the Panther loses it's right arm quickly? Having all my firepower in a single light arm makes me slightly uncomfortable.

View Postmartian, on 29 November 2021 - 11:36 PM, said:

Hello!

First, your link is not correct. It should be like this:
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=4d9b33fd_PNT-9R

That %3C/p%3E should not be there.

Second, those MRMs are really not neccessary on your build. If your primary weapon is ER PPC with the range 810 m, then adding MRMs with the max range 550 m is a bit superfluous. Especially if the really effective range of MRMs is much shorter.

Try a pair of PPCs or a pair of LPLs, if you have them in your inventory. You can even try quad Light PPCs (they are lighter than a pair of standard PPCs while doing the same damage).

1. The link is now fixed, I got logged out while posting and it formatted in the post in an odd way.

2. I added the MRMs because I wanted a secondary weapon that wasn't mounted on my arm, I'm still learning the 'mech and I didn't want all my weapons to get destroyed at once. Would it be better for me to play it safe with some backup missiles while I get used to the chassis or should I just roll with only right arm weapons and get used to it?

Edited by KaptinOrk, 30 November 2021 - 08:44 AM.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:58 AM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 30 November 2021 - 08:43 AM, said:

2. I added the MRMs because I wanted a secondary weapon that wasn't mounted on my arm, I'm still learning the 'mech and I didn't want all my weapons to get destroyed at once. Would it be better for me to play it safe with some backup missiles while I get used to the chassis or should I just roll with only right arm weapons and get used to it?

I understand your concerns, but I think that you should remove those missiles. If you lose your right arm with your energy weapons, that remaining MRM-10 is probably not going to change anything.

#8 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:28 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 November 2021 - 08:58 AM, said:

I understand your concerns, but I think that you should remove those missiles. If you lose your right arm with your energy weapons, that remaining MRM-10 is probably not going to change anything.

That's fair, I'll try a double PPC or ERPPC build of some kind and see how I like it.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:17 PM

Don't forget to twist after each shot and retreat into cover. You don't have to stare after the blue bolt and see if it hits.

#10 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:56 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 30 November 2021 - 09:17 PM, said:

Don't forget to twist after each shot and retreat into cover. You don't have to stare after the blue bolt and see if it hits.

For sure, I've been enjoying the mix of decent armor, good mobility and what seem to be friendly hitboxes, I haven't had issues losing components before I've lost a lot of armor everywhere else. I cut my teeth on the Hunchback HBK-4G, so torso twisting is second nature to me.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 01:45 AM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 01 December 2021 - 08:56 AM, said:

For sure, I've been enjoying the mix of decent armor, good mobility and what seem to be friendly hitboxes, I haven't had issues losing components before I've lost a lot of armor everywhere else. I cut my teeth on the Hunchback HBK-4G, so torso twisting is second nature to me.

That boosted right arm armor and structure also helps.

#12 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 20 December 2021 - 02:15 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 29 November 2021 - 11:41 PM, said:

The ghost heat is minimal and is manageable as long as you max out your cool run and heat generation nodes. Plus this mech has plentiful quirks that apply to lppc and the -15% heat is almost as good as a +1 hsl. Having all four lppc in one arm is a bit risky but you get top notch convergence and you should be floating around the edges of the fight anyways since it gets a range bonus and a velocity bonus. Shame it doesn't have ecm.

I'd run it like this.

pnt-9r

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users