Which Timber Wolf Variant?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 02:32 AM

I tried looking up what Timber Wolf is best to start with if you've never had one but all I found was something from 2014 or something. I'm thinking of getting one but I can't decide which torso would be best to go with, any suggestions?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 02:44 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 27 December 2021 - 02:32 AM, said:

I tried looking up what Timber Wolf is best to start with if you've never had one but all I found was something from 2014 or something. I'm thinking of getting one but I can't decide which torso would be best to go with, any suggestions?

I would go with the TBR-BH "Bounty Hunter" configuration, but there are other possibilites. You can buy various OmniPods anyway.

PGI gave away the Madcat as a free 'Mech in May. Posted Image

Check the picture:

Posted Image

The Madcat is a 'Mech that can support all kinds of playstyles: Short range brawling, long range combat, LRMs, etc.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:19 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 27 December 2021 - 02:32 AM, said:

• TBR-PRIME for the single ballistic hardpoint
PRIME CT is a joke. There, I said it. You're not going to do much besides packing a single Machine Gun in it - why bother? - and it has a whopping three points of armor to compensate for that.
  • TBR-S for the Jump jet
I don't find the JJ that worthwhile unless you specifically want jump capability with side torsos that don't have JJs.
  • TBR-WAR for the hero bonus + unique left arm with ballistic cooldown
CT itself does nothing outside of the hero bonus and +3 armor ( = inferior to the BH(S)) and I think is only "worthy it" if you want that unique arm, have MC to spare and it goes on sale. Otherwise, if you are willing to spend cash and want the "hero" bonus, then buying the Warden pack for a BH(S) is the superior option.
  • TBR-BH for energy hardpoint
Now, the BH is not the only energy CT (since you can find the same in A, C and D), but over the others it also gives you a useable stock pod configuration with a useful So8.

And of course, it also comes in black (S)hiny

Edited by Horseman, 27 December 2021 - 06:23 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:52 AM

View PostHorseman, on 27 December 2021 - 06:19 AM, said:

• TBR-WAR for the hero bonus + unique left arm with ballistic cooldown
CT itself does nothing outside of the hero bonus and +3 armor ( = inferior to the BH(S)) and I think is only "worthy it" if you want that unique arm, have MC to spare and it goes on sale.

Since the OP has no experience with the Madcat, I would not start with spending cash or MCs on it. I mean, he could spend cash on a 'Mech only to find out that he does not like it.

I do own "Warrant". Well, it has got a cool livery, that is sure, and it provides the Hero 'Mech C-Bills bonus as all Hero 'Mechs do.

But other than that ... Running it for So8 does not give you too many viable builds. Essentially, there are three practical possibilities:
1. Finding some suitable loadout for its set of OmniPods.
2. Running it with a different loadout (even without So8 bonus) and using it for having fun and C-Bills earning.
3. Buying it for some specific OmniPod(s), that can not be obtained elsewhere, for use on a different Madcat variant.

Otherwise, if you are willing to spend cash and want the "hero" bonus, then buying the Warden pack for a BH(S) is the superior option.

Well, if you want to run laser vomit with So8, then sure. If you would like to run something else, then you will lose that So8 bonus. And then it is just down to your preference of either Khan Vladimir Ward's "Warrant" livery or "Bounty Hunter" Hero 'Mech's livery.

Both liveries are cool.

• TBR-BH for energy hardpoint
Now, the BH is not the only energy CT (since you can find the same in A, C and D), but over the others it also gives you a useable stock pod configuration with a useful So8.
And of course, it also comes in black (S)hiny

It can be bought in the in-game store fo 14 984 527 C-Bills, albeit without that (S).Posted Image

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:58 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 December 2021 - 06:52 AM, said:

Well, if you want to run laser vomit with So8, then sure. If you would like to run something else, then you will lose that So8 bonus.
Obviously, my point is that it's better in some cases while equal otherwise unless you want CT JJ. Posted Image

View Postmartian, on 27 December 2021 - 06:52 AM, said:

Since the OP has no experience with the Madcat, I would not start with spending cash or MCs on it. I mean, he could spend cash on a 'Mech only to find out that he does not like it.
Fair enough. What I mean is that, if he chose to do it the Warden pack gives a strictly better value than purchasing the Warrant in cash shop.

It can be bought in the in-game store fo 14 984 527 C-Bills, albeit without that (S).Posted Image
Yep. Posted Image

#6 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:44 AM

The best 2 are the BH (which has a genuinely useful set of 8 quirk with its 7.5% heat on pulse lasers), and the S for the CT jumpjet. The others arent worth running in stock configuration like period, so you can build anything on the BH or the S.

Still, if i had to pick 1 id go with the BH, it has a CT energy spot which is almost always useful as the vast majority of decent timber builds are laser vomit (or at least have some lasers on them), and the JJ is nice, but situational while another gun in a CT hardpoint is always nice to have. It also is one of few timbers that doesnt need the massive 3 gun LT that tends to get focused down alot by skilled players, so even if half the mech gets shot off you still retain some sort of offensive capability with the fully symetric BH variant.

Just whatever you do dont get the PRIME, its got irrelevant amount of extra armor and looses both the JJ or the energy slot for a useless ballistic that can at best stick a MG in there which wont actually do anything in a real game (as a general rule i follow, less then 4 hardpoints and i never bother putting MGs on the mech as its not even wrth the facetime). Maybee if it got like a +15 CT armor then i could see some justifucation, but for now it has neither.

#7 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:27 AM

Sean Lang recently had a video on the current "meta" Timber Wolf:
https://mwomercs.com...er-current-meta

He presented it as Timber Wolf TBR-S Center Torso with 1x JumpJet,
with TBR-A Left Torso (high laser pods x3 above shoulder for peeking), and
with TBR-BH Right Torso (ECM + 1x cockpit height laser).

T1 players say that micro-JumpJetting while being hit helps spread damage around your mech more, and JJ opens new tactical possibilities.

I personally am still thinking of other possibilities as well:
a) Sean Lang's build as above (ECM + JJ), or
b ) Sean Lang's build, but with +5% Heat Dissipation Center Torso (either from TBR Warrant, or TBR-Prime).
c) TBR-Prime full Set-of-8 bonus is actually pretty sweet and mech maneuverable, albeit no ECM, and no JJ.
d) Or just get TBR-BH full Set-of-8 bonus with ECM and -7.5% Pulse Laser Family Heat Gen as also suggested above!

As to purchasing, the Warrant Booster Pack (Timber Wolf TBR-BH with ECM, and Dire Wolf DWF-C with ECM) is THE best selling mech package ever, bar none! And a very special price IMHO Posted Image
https://mwomercs.com/warden

ymmv

Edited by w0qj, 29 December 2021 - 08:33 AM.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 December 2021 - 09:54 AM

View Postw0qj, on 29 December 2021 - 08:27 AM, said:

b ) Sean Lang's build, but with +5% Heat Dissipation Center Torso (either from TBR Warrant, or TBR-Prime).

Huh. I missed that change. I guess there's actually something that makes that CT worthwhile (if still not that optimal)

#9 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:54 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 December 2021 - 02:44 AM, said:

I would go with the TBR-BH "Bounty Hunter" configuration, but there are other possibilites. You can buy various OmniPods anyway.

PGI gave away the Madcat as a free 'Mech in May. Posted Image

Check the picture:

Posted Image

The Madcat is a 'Mech that can support all kinds of playstyles: Short range brawling, long range combat, LRMs, etc.

How do you take pictures in game like that, cause in the hangar I notice the older mechs are all really shiny but are different in game and would like to know how they actually look.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:14 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 30 December 2021 - 03:54 AM, said:

How do you take pictures in game like that, cause in the hangar I notice the older mechs are all really shiny but are different in game and would like to know how they actually look.

Go to testing grounds, press F5 and directional arrows.

#11 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:25 AM

View Postw0qj, on 29 December 2021 - 08:27 AM, said:

Sean Lang recently had a video on the current "meta" Timber Wolf:
https://mwomercs.com...er-current-meta

He presented it as Timber Wolf TBR-S Center Torso with 1x JumpJet,
with TBR-A Left Torso (high laser pods x3 above shoulder for peeking), and
with TBR-BH Right Torso (ECM + 1x cockpit height laser).

T1 players say that micro-JumpJetting while being hit helps spread damage around your mech more, and JJ opens new tactical possibilities.

I personally am still thinking of other possibilities as well:
a) Sean Lang's build as above (ECM + JJ), or
c) TBR-Prime full Set-of-8 bonus is actually pretty sweet and mech maneuverable, albeit no ECM, and no JJ.
d) Or just get TBR-BH full Set-of-8 bonus with ECM and -7.5% Pulse Laser Family Heat Gen as also suggested above!

As to purchasing, the Warrant Booster Pack (Timber Wolf TBR-BH with ECM, and Dire Wolf DWF-C with ECM) is THE best selling mech package ever, bar none! And a very special price IMHO Posted Image
https://mwomercs.com/warden

ymmv

So I used his build, it's really good, I like it, I like laser vomit and I just had a game where I got 4 most damage kills and 3 of them myself with a lot of damage, only one to get a rating over 400 in the match. Really enjoyable thanks for the advice!

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:30 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 30 December 2021 - 05:25 AM, said:

So I used his build, it's really good, I like it, I like laser vomit and I just had a game where I got 4 most damage kills and 3 of them myself with a lot of damage, only one to get a rating over 400 in the match. Really enjoyable thanks for the advice!

So you have bought that Bounty Hunter's Madcat?

#13 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:38 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 December 2021 - 05:30 AM, said:

So you have bought that Bounty Hunter's Madcat?

I got them all, warrant and bounty hunter. I was feeling ****** so i decided to treat myself and I had a lot of MC from christmas event as well.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:42 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 30 December 2021 - 05:38 AM, said:

I got them all, warrant and bounty hunter. I was feeling ****** so i decided to treat myself and I had a lot of MC from christmas event as well.

I am sure that both 'Mechs will serve you well. Posted Image

#15 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:37 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 December 2021 - 05:42 AM, said:

I am sure that both 'Mechs will serve you well. Posted Image

Last man standing :D

Posted Image

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:44 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 30 December 2021 - 06:37 AM, said:

Last man standing Posted Image

I see you had a good game. With such games you will leave Tier 3 soon. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users